PDA

View Full Version : Chesapeake bay swim training

magick17
February 17th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Those who have done it in the past, what did your training schedule look like?
Right now I'm at 4000 yard 3x a week and then a 5-6000 yards 1 day....

I know there's blogs, etc online but I wondered how the masters trained for this.thx

sspickens
February 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
I started my training in January and started out 3x a wk, and gradually built up -- February 4x a wk, March 5-6x, April 7x, and May 8x. So, I think you are in good shape right now. I gradually increased yardage too-- from 3500m to 6000m. If you can find a lcm pool it may help, and then open water swims on the weekends when you can. If you stick to quality sets, you don't need to overtrain and risk injury.

I tied for 11th in 2010 and was top female so I didn't do too bad ;)

sarah_q
February 24th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I swim 4x/week. The main change I make for the bay other than focusing on longer-yardage sets is to go back to the pool a second time in one day. On Monday at 5:45am I'll go to Masters and the focus is distance that day per the coach's direction. I go home, eat, and then go back to the pool for my second set, which I do solo. It's usually combos of 500s and 1000s building up to 6x1000 which brings me to 9k+ for the day. I do this once or twice in early May.

Side note: I go through a zillion bottles of lotion every spring.

I try to add in open water but I wait for the rivers/lakes to hit 55 and that doesn't leave much time before race day in early June.

This will be my 6th start and hopefully my 5th finish (got pulled due to a strong current preventing me from making the time cut off at mile 4 three years ago). I am slow (~3 hours).

Kevin in MD
February 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I get up to about 15k per week for 6 weeks and then closer to 20k for the three weeks leading into it with a taper in the last week.

Get your quality sets to be 20 minutes or longer and on the other hand consider carefully how many long easy sets you will need - my view is that it is not many. I stay away from the this and that approach of doing 200 of this 400 of that and another 350 of something else.

As far as key swims, an easy 8,000 a few weeks out, and a 3 x 1,000 set two weeks prior. I can see how well prepared I am year to year with the 3 x 1,000 times.

Kevin in MD
February 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I get up to about 15k per week for 6 weeks and then closer to 20k for the three weeks leading into it with a taper in the last week.

Get your quality sets to be 20 minutes or longer and on the other hand consider carefully how many long easy sets you will need - my view is that it is not many. I stay away from the this and that approach of doing 200 of this 400 of that and another 350 of something else.

As far as key swims, an easy 8,000 a few weeks out, and a 3 x 1,000 set two weeks prior. I can see how well prepared I am year to year with the 3 x 1,000 times.