PDA

View Full Version : season opener - Saturday, May 5 - Austin, TX

swimthegoodfight
February 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
http://www.cap2k.com/

at 2K, this swim is on the short side for many posters but Austin, TX, is a great destination for an open water swim.

It is an ASA swim and not a USMS swim... the swim venue is Lady Bird Lake / the former Town Lake... great hosts in Sandy and Keith Bell... postrace meal and festivities excellent and at the park proximate to the Deep Eddy Pool.

mcnair
February 21st, 2012, 12:54 AM
Deep Eddy is my favorite pool when I'm in town; I love the idiosyncratic distance (33 yards!) and the lack of chlorine. Always a pleasant experience!

Town Lake is probably pretty nice too that time of year, though I've never swum in it.

mrsbananars
February 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm hoping to go! Austin is a great town! Except for the traffic...

timsroot
February 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'm hoping to go! Austin is a great town! Except for the traffic...

Austin isn't nearly as bad as Houston.

I did this swim last year, and it was a well run event. I had a great time, and while some of the logistics could be a touch improved upon (I parked my car at the finish and walked up to the start, although that was maybe a mile and a half, so not so bad), it was still very straight forward. The water was cool, and my stuff was waiting for me at the finish without any hassle. It's a bit too far away from Baton Rouge to drive for a 30ish minute swim, but if I was in Houston, I'd be very happy to go over.

I am thinking that I might try the Highland Lakes Challenge this year, though. Looking forward to seeing when they post the dates for that.

freestylesail
February 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
This is a very well-organized swim with a great, food-filled finish reception and even crowd support at the bridges along the way. The water is a little chilly, but since it's not a long distance, even wimpy people like me can handle the temp :)

I hope you can come to Highland Lakes--it's a small event but very attentively organized, and I like how the stages seem to end right at a lunch location just in time for a meal. It makes for a friendly and social atmosphere, and you meet some neat people.