PDA

View Full Version : Graham Short (GGS5T): "Master of Miniature"

ALM
February 24th, 2012, 09:39 PM
This video was originally introduced in the "garbage yards" thread a couple of weeks ago. It is quite amazing (beyond amazing) and I feel that it deserves its own thread.

One of the posters in these forums, GGS5T, is a guy named Graham Short who lives in England. In the "garbage yards" thread he casually mentioned that he has a specific, work-related reason for why he swims 10,000 meters per day. And his reason is, well, remarkable. You have to see it to believe it.

Be sure to watch the whole thing - you're missing out if you don't get to the part with the stethoscope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-vis-LGOM&context=C3a7f9adADOEgsToPDskKx1H-CZ8Re_0uiIn4CyIrV

Fresnoid
February 24th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Anna, thanks for posting this as it's own topic. Great video, amazing skills and as Graham said in the other thread, we are welcome to visit.

GGS5T
February 25th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I'm currently working on the 'Hall of Fame.' This will be a collection of microscopic engravings to be shown across America this year. I'm due to appear at the White House Museum in Washington. Not sure yet of the date.

The engravings will feature quotes by American pioneers, celebrities, industrialists, presidents, etc. I visited New York a few years ago and I'm so looking forward to seeing more of your country. If I also get the chance to join one or two of you for a couple of training sessions it will be a great bonus for me.

Fresnoid
February 25th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I'm currently working on the 'Hall of Fame.' This will be a collection of microscopic engravings to be shown across America this year. I'm due to appear at the White House Museum in Washington. Not sure yet of the date.

The engravings will feature quotes by American pioneers, celebrities, industrialists, presidents, etc. I visited New York a few years ago and I'm so looking forward to seeing more of your country. If I also get the chance to join one or two of you for a couple of training sessions it will be a great bonus for me.

What sort of objects are you using for this collection?

When traveling, I've had good success finding clubs to workout with using the USMS Places To Swim service: http://www.usms.org/placswim/

GGS5T
February 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM
What sort of objects are you using for this collection?

When traveling, I've had good success finding clubs to workout with using the USMS Places To Swim service: http://www.usms.org/placswim/

I'm engraving a Steve Jobs quote on a gold micro-chip. Mark Twain on a pen nib (on the tip), Abraham Lincoln quote on the point of a Civil War bullet, recently dug up out of the ground in Virginia. A Muhammad Ali quote will be on a miniature gold boxing glove measuring 2mm across.

I shall certainly use the USMS Places To Swim service. It looks good. Thanks for this info.

Jazz Hands
February 25th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Graham, sorry if you've already answered this: how do you structure your workouts?

GGS5T
February 26th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Graham, sorry if you've already answered this: how do you structure your workouts?

I work during the night to avoid vibration from passing traffic, and I swim before work and after work - then sleep during the day. I'm at the pool at 8.30 pm and again at 6.30 am.

I always start with a 500m f/c warm up swim. I aim for 5,000m a session, made up of the usual sets of, say, 10 x 200m going every 3:30 mins, 20 x 100m going every 1:45 mins, or maybe a set of 5 x 400m - nothing special, really. I mix and match. Most sessions are all front-crawl using a pullbuoy. I was a fly swimmer at one time, but I've lost it all now! I find that general aerobic work helps give me a good resting pulse rate.

__steve__
February 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Kind of off topic but I've noticed my resting HR dips in the 30s with my feet elevated. Too bad it wouldn't be feasible to work like this .

jim thornton
February 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Graham, if you find yourself in the Pittsburgh area during your trip, give me a call (send me a PM and I will let you know my cell phone number.) You can definitely swim with our team, and if the weather is nice, there's a 50 m outdoor pool (50 m wide, 110 yards long) we can swim in, too. Also, if you are in the Philadelphia area, my twin brother would love to make a movie about your artwork. He has been making films about Philadelphia artists for a couple years now. Here's one of his recent ones, which I personally find incredibly moving. Earl Lewis, Best Artist FOR the World - YouTube

Also, before you go to the work of engraving any quotes by our Founding Fathers, you might want to check out this website: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=4053

It seems that some of our more conservative brethren have a habit of making up quotes and jamming them into the mouths of Thomas Jefferson and the like, apparently in the hopes of making their own philosophy seem all the more vindicated.

It would be a dreadful shame to carve something on the head of a pin only to later discover it was never uttered by the person who supposedly uttered it!

dmeschke
February 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM
this is INCREDIBLE. thanks for sharing this. Graham, you are an extremely talented person

GGS5T
February 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Jim, thanks for the info on fake quotes. I think I'm playing safe by choosing well-known quotes, but you have certainly made me think twice! You are very kind to offer a training session. Not sure of my schedule yet but if there's a chance then I'll definitely join you. I agree, your brother John's film is superb. Yes very moving.

dmeschke, thanks for the kind words.

rxleakem
February 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
You have been blessed with an incredible gift, Mr. Short. Simply awesome!

jswim
February 27th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Amazing Graham! Thanks for sharing this, you're an inspiration!:applaud:

Hope you have a fantastic tour!

-Jeanette

Fenella
February 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM
And for my part can I say Graham is an excellent Masters coach as well

At a time when I was recovering from a serious accident, unable to do very much at all and could barely manage 4 strokes of fly , he was convinced I could put on a pair of fins and swim a 50 LCM -

There were huge puffs of indignation and mutterings of madness from yours truly

However he made me sit by myself on the poolside and spend time visualising what it must be like to swim a 400m fly - I got in and to my complete astonishment ( and that of my friends ) - made that 50 :notworthy:

EJB190
February 28th, 2012, 08:51 AM
That's incredible work you do, and with such discipline. That's very unique work you do. What the longest amount of time you've ever spent on a project?

If you're ever in Connecticut, stop by the Mark Twain house in Hartford. It's a very interesting place full of inspiration I'm sure.

GGS5T
February 28th, 2012, 11:00 AM
That's incredible work you do, and with such discipline. That's very unique work you do. What the longest amount of time you've ever spent on a project?

If you're ever in Connecticut, stop by the Mark Twain house in Hartford. It's a very interesting place full of inspiration I'm sure.

Actually the job that took the longest time was The Lord's Prayer engraved on a pin 2mm wide. It took me 40 years. Not continually working on it, of course, but on and off over the years. I improved my technique as I went along. I was working on engraving Nothing is Impossible along the sharp edge of a razor blade for months. I keep slipping, then have to start again. It happens all the time.

Your mention of Mark Twain is interesting. I was going to use a Mark Twain quote, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. After reading Jim's warning about using quotes that may, over the years, have been attributed to the wrong person, I checked it out. I now find that this is attributed to both Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln! So I'm none the wiser.

Rob Copeland
February 28th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I was going to use a Mark Twain quote, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. After reading Jim's warning about using quotes that may, over the years, have been attributed to the wrong person, I checked it out. I now find that this is attributed to both Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln!I thought that was Lincolnís.

If you are looking for Twain, I always liked:

The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

jethro
February 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
That is amazing! I have no idea how you do it. I can't even write legibly on a 10-foot dry erase board. :bow:

smontanaro
February 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM
That is amazing! I have no idea how you do it. I can't even write legibly on a 10-foot dry erase board. :bow:

Me either. I think a lifetime of typing on computer keyboards has ruined what little penmanship I used to have. All the writing circuits have deteriorated and have been replaced by touch typing (and now, SWYPE) circuits.

Skip