PDA

View Full Version : Questions about EVERYTHING. Please help.

apollyon
February 27th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hey guys. I'm a runner currently training for a marathon, and I'm taking up swimming for my cross-training because I'm sure you all know it's excellent exercise (also, to be honest, I want that six pack that only swimmers seem to have). However, I haven't really swam since my parents threw me in some class when I was 5, so I'm kinda lost right now. I have a friend that is a swimmer (she's actually swimming the English Channel later this year), but I feel bad hounding her with all these questions, so I thought you guys might be able to help.

My questions are the following:

1) Swimwear (male); what is the best? What do I want to look for? What do I want to avoid?

2) How the heck do I even start? What do I need to do? I obviously need a membership to some pool and a swimsuit, but outside of that, I have no idea what I need.

3) How do I actually swim for exercise purposes? I think I know most of the basic strokes, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to what is better to exercise with.

4) And last, but not least, how do I start swimming? In the sense of how long should I start out swimming for? How many meters? Is swimming like running in the sense that you just go until you can't anymore, or is there a better way to ease myself into it?

I realize this is a lot, so I thank you guys in advance for your help. I really want to get into swimming, and I'm excited that I'm finally starting.

That Guy
February 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Welcome! Get a Speedo Endurance practice suit. Brief or jammer, doesn't matter. Read everything here: http://www.usms.org/training/

apollyon
February 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for that. That helped a lot. One more question I thought about- shaving. I have a moderately hairy chest and legs. Will I look like a weirdo if I don't shave? I bought jammers, but still...

gdanner
February 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that. That helped a lot. One more question I thought about- shaving. I have a moderately hairy chest and legs. Will I look like a weirdo if I don't shave? I bought jammers, but still...

You won't look weird. Lots of hairy people on the pool decks with various suits.

Oh and I've been wearing Speedo Endurance (briefs) for practice for years now. Great suits that last pretty long.

Jazz Hands
February 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I want that six pack that only swimmers seem to have

Umm...

knelson
February 28th, 2012, 02:23 PM
You might be under the mistaken assumption that male swimmers keep their bodies shaved all the time. This is not true. Competitive swimmers generally only shave for major competitions a few times a year at most. You will look perfectly normal being hairy while training.

SolarEnergy
February 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM
2) How the heck do I even start? What do I need to do? I obviously need a membership to some pool and a swimsuit, but outside of that, I have no idea what I need.

You could start here

www.swimsmooth.com

or establish your type then order a guide (it's cheap and very well done)

www.swimtypes.com

Total Immersion is also a nice resource

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Enjoy
Charles

Paredes
February 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM
6 pack? lol fat floats..

Celestial
February 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM
The only truly hairless swimmers I know have either a) alopecia, or are b) under the age of 12.
Definitely go for the endurance suits - mine last 18 months to 2 years - but I have several & don't wear the same one every day - but I swim 4-6 times/week.
Swimmers also have shoulders. (That's one of my favorite parts!:blush:)

orca1946
February 28th, 2012, 06:45 PM
If you can find the time , get into a swim club masters or a training of some sort. You need to learn about the correct way to swim or else you are just thrashing in the water. Ask your distance swimmer for help.