PDA

View Full Version : Nationals -- help me decide

Jimbosback
March 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I am trying to figure out a fourth event to add to my nationals entry. I swim Fly, Breaststroke, and IM, and my 3 best events are 50 and 100 BR and 100 IM. I have not swum a 200 since starting Masters.

From the order of events, 100 fly is out so I can focus on my 50 BR. 100 IM and BR are already closer than I would like, but that's my day 2. I could do 50 FR but I'd be spent.

That leaves Day 3, and either 50 Fly, 200 BR, or 100 Free. With my best effforts, I'd be in a battle for last in all 3 of these. I'll go under 30 in fly and probably just under a minute in the free. The 200 Br is the wild card. I want to swim this in the future, but I have not had the time to train like I wanted this winter, so I'm not quite where I want to be. I go around 3 minutes in practice (from push, mid work-out), but I am pretty sure I'd be 2:50 or better.

The other option is to just swim my 3 events and relax and/or volunteer on Sunday, which I'm not so opposed to, either.

Advice?

knelson
March 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
The 200 breast is probably the event you'd be most likely to place top ten in, if that's a consideration. It will also set a nice baseline for you if you plan to swim the event in the future.

fmracing
March 8th, 2012, 03:43 PM
50 fly.... sez the sprinter... :)

ElaineK
March 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
200 breaststroke; misery loves company! :cheerleader: As a breaststroke sprinter, my races get progressively worse as the yard count climbs... :afraid:

Allen Stark
March 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
If you can go 3:00 in practice you can probably go 2:45 in a meet if you shave and taper.You want to swim the 200 BR eventually,so go for it.If I waited until I was trained enough to swim the 200 BR I'd wait until I was 22 and in college again.Swim the 200 BR,keep your stroke smooth and build into it and you will surprise yourself.

aztimm
March 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM
The 200 breast is probably the event you'd be most likely to place top ten in, if that's a consideration. It will also set a nice baseline for you if you plan to swim the event in the future.

I don't know what age group Jimbosback is in, but in my age group the NQT is about 2:34 and it doesn't change that much until you get into age groups 20+ years further along. I know there's some sort of correlation between NQT and Top 10.

But that certainly shouldn't discourage him from swimming it. The 200 breast is one of my favorite events...especially LCM :banana:
(and I can safely say that I'm nowhere near Top 10).

Glenn
March 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
What age group are you in? If you are in mine, I'll tell you one thing and if you are not, I'll tell you something else.:D

jaadams1
March 8th, 2012, 09:46 PM
The 200 breast is one of my favorite events...especially LCM :banana:

Are you sure the sun over the years hasn't got to you??? :D 200 LCM Breast is one of the most evil events ever made.

knelson
March 8th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I don't know what age group Jimbosback is in, but in my age group the NQT is about 2:34 and it doesn't change that much until you get into age groups 20+ years further along. I know there's some sort of correlation between NQT and Top 10.

Yes, but in my experience the stroke 200s tend to be slightly easier to place in. OK, this might be a perception thing since I like longer events. The other factor is it in the middle of the day on Sunday. Events also tend to be easier to score in toward the end of the meet.

Jimbosback
March 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I'm 40-44 and certainly not in danger of beating anybody. All my best times would put me at the rear of the pack in all these events. This is all for the experience and to set some training goals. Last year's nationals was a lot of fun, and I was pretty nervous about being there. I am thinking this year will be more fun, since I won't be nervous at all. My brain is saying 50 fly, but my heart says 200 Breast.

Thanks for all the opinions. I want to register before the early deadline, so I'll decide soon.

orca1946
March 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I would go for the 200 BR. More swimmers will do the 50 & 100 races!!

Jimbosback
March 9th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I would go for the 200 BR. More swimmers will do the 50 & 100 races!!

Done deal. Went with the 200 Br.

Allen Stark
March 9th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Good choice.Let us know how it goes.

ElaineK
March 9th, 2012, 05:20 PM

:applaud: Just know another Forumite will be a cellar dweller (or close) in the 200 Br., as well. :blush:

We should hoist a :chug: after it's over! :D

Jimbosback
April 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Good choice.Let us know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone who talked me into it. It is my new favorite event.

I was not having a great meet in Br. In both the 50 and 100, I panicked and really rushed my stroke. My 50 time was OK, though I have done better from a push(!) but my 100 was awful. I just blew it. My 100 IM was a best time and a pretty strong swim.

I was determined to swim my race in the 200, really pace myself, work DPS and split around :40 for each. I thought the :40 split was a lofty goal -- quite a bit faster than what I do at practice.

I was involved in a warm-up pool pile-up which led to me tweaking a groin muscle in my right leg. I thought about scratching, but that would have been weak after preparing the whole day for this swim. I alternated massage and swimming 50s dps breaststroke until the men's heats started. It hurt, but I was able to kick. It actually kept my kick more narrow, like it's supposed to be.

I ended up going 2:48, 12 seconds faster than my fastest practice time.

I went 4 strokes on the start, then 6 for each length until 7 and 8, when I went 7 strokes each.

My pullouts were strong, even the last one that's supposed to kill.

I had a ton left at the end, so I went a little too easy. I think I could have swum the third 50 much faster, but I was afraid of dying on the last one.

So this will be my focus event for next year, I think. I really neglected breaststroke this year in favor of working on backstroke for IM and 6-beat kick all the time in free.

Next year's goal will be to go below 2:40.

knelson
April 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Congrats! Glad we could help. :banana:

TRYM_Swimmer
April 30th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the wonderful, sometimes painful (as mine was this year) world of the 200 Breast! It will psyche you up and sometimes pull you down, but is always interesting.

orca1946
April 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM
If a pile up helps my time -----I'll try !

Fins25
April 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I love breaststroke as it and fly are my best events. But choosing 200m over 50m? Are you crazy!? You must love pain!! Only kidding, good luck with it all. :)

jaadams1
April 30th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I love breaststroke as it and fly are my best events. But choosing 200m over 50m? Are you crazy!? You must love pain!! Only kidding, good luck with it all. :)

Much easier to place for the medals in the 200s over the 50s. :) It's all about the bling! :agree:

Fins25
May 1st, 2012, 12:55 AM
Much easier to place for the medals in the 200s over the 50s. :) It's all about the bling! :agree:

Haha......I love the way you think James!

ElaineK
May 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM
I was involved in a warm-up pool pile-up which led to me tweaking a groin muscle in my right leg. I thought about scratching, but that would have been weak after preparing the whole day for this swim. I alternated massage and swimming 50s dps breaststroke until the men's heats started. It hurt, but I was able to kick. It actually kept my kick more narrow, like it's supposed to be.

Congratulations, Jimbo! And, welcome to the world of FROGS!

I felt your pain (literally); I was swimming the entire meet with a strained adductor that happened 8 days before my first race. I almost canceled my trip, but decided to go for it when I was able to sprint a 25 on Wednesday without completely pulling the muscle. I tested it again on Thursday with the same results, so I stayed in Greensboro and raced.

I'm sorry I forgot to look for you after your race! Congratulations on an awesome time drop and excellent stroke count. Keep us posted on The Breaststroke Lane with your future FROG endeavors. And, post a video, so we can see how you are doing! :cheerleader:

Allen Stark
May 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Good job :banana::banana::banana:. I have a love hate relationship with the 200 BR,but when it is good it is very ,very good,and when it is bad it is horrid.