PDA

View Full Version : What Kills Your Swim?

EJB190
March 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM
What makes you (or makes you want) to stop your swim workout, aside from being tired or feeling hurt?

- Sharing Lanes: Sometimes when I go to share a lane with someone, I'll get in, they'll do another lap, and get out. I feel guilty. I have on a couple occasions gotten out when people want to split lanes with me, especially if they're annoying and touch me/swim into me.

- Team Practices: I don't know why, but if I'm not part of the team practice that's in the pool, I don't want to be there. Maybe I just feel lazy next to them.

- Thinking about food: Food (particularly donuts for some reason) makes me feel sick while swimming. I've thrown up in my mouth on several occasions due to thinking about food while swimming. I love food, I love thinking about food, but not while swimming.

- Little kid swim lessons: The last time i swam next to this I got smacked in the face with an oar to an inflatable boat.

- The creepy middle aged guy that hangs out at the end of my lane to stretch when there are 7 open lanes. Wearing briefs, giant goggles, and covered in hair. Doing odd exercises like thrusting the ground or stretching hs hip flexors widely on the diving blocks. :bolt:

- Broken pace clocks

jaadams1
March 8th, 2012, 11:49 PM
What makes you (or makes you want) to stop your swim workout, aside from being tired or feeling hurt?

- Sharing Lanes: Sometimes when I go to share a lane with someone, I'll get in, they'll do another lap, and get out. I feel guilty. I have on a couple occasions gotten out when people want to split lanes with me, especially if they're annoying and touch me/swim into me.

For me, it's gotta be this one...but lane sharing isn't a problem for me. It may be a problem for the other person who has to swim with me though!! :)
The problem happens at my YMCA pool when 3 people end up having to swim in a lane, and the others don't have a clue what circle swimming is. And in general, the people don't know how to group themselves somewhat based on speed. That makes it rough when 3 or more try to swim circles in a lane.
I just tell the others that I don't mind swimming with them, and not to bother stopping for me. I'll find my way around if I have to...even if that means taking a flip turn at the flags to pass two people at once who happen to be at or near the one end of the pool. :D With my "aggressive" (not mean spirited) swimming, most lap swimmers don't usually just hop right in with me anyway.

It just sucks when you have an awesome workout planned, you're all alone, warming up, getting into the main set, and then all of a sudden you're bombarded by a couple of people that want to "do laps" in your lane. :bouncing: "Do you mind if we share with you?" I've always wanted to answer back with: "Hell yeah I mind!!" :bolt:

Paredes
March 9th, 2012, 12:01 AM
For me, just being alone. My brain goes through the process of "well no one else is training, so you don't need to because they're not doing anything that makes them faster" However, once every billion years when I'm alone I train hard to get ahead XD

__steve__
March 9th, 2012, 12:16 AM
A jolt of sharp chronic pain in the shoulder joint.

@&*@
:bitching:
#$%
&$#!!

smontanaro
March 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Having to move lanes.

I don't practice with a team these days, instead swimming at the local Y. They have a six-lane pool with the middle two lanes set up for circle swimming. The other four are split (two swimmers per lane).

I used to always aim for the middle lanes because that's what I was used to when swimming with a team. Now I realize that's an invitation to disaster. Circle swimming is fine when everyone is doing the same thing and is approximately the same speed. Sometimes the four split lanes will be full, and the circle lanes will each have at least one noodle-speed swimmer. Adjusting your workout to not run them over can be (not) fun. You always have your eyes peeled for an empty half of a split lane (but not next to the wall because they have ladders and the handicapped elevator, and, well, it's the wall - who could ever swim backstroke next to the wall???). So, really, in the best of circumstances, there are two circle lanes and three split lanes.

Then one of the kids teams gets in and takes four lanes, so you have to move. Now there's one circle lane, one split lane. If you're lucky you're the first person to notice one of the split lane swimmers get out. So you move again. I have moved as many as three times during a swim.

Maybe you get in when one age group squad is taking three lanes, then another smaller squad arrives and takes two lanes. Move to the middle. Nothing but the circle lane. Actually, that situation isn't all that bad. Most other swimmers simply get out at that point and you have that center lane all to yourself. :D

Then there's the coach who feels that the digital clock must be reset at the start of the team's practice. Which is right about two-thirds of the way through your workout, approximately 175 yards into a 400...

S

Debugger
March 9th, 2012, 06:29 AM
For me, it's gotta be this one...but lane sharing isn't a problem for me. It may be a problem for the other person who has to swim with me though!! :)
The problem happens at my YMCA pool when 3 people end up having to swim in a lane, and the others don't have a clue what circle swimming is. And in general, the people don't know how to group themselves somewhat based on speed. That makes it rough when 3 or more try to swim circles in a lane.
I just tell the others that I don't mind swimming with them, and not to bother stopping for me. I'll find my way around if I have to...even if that means taking a flip turn at the flags to pass two people at once who happen to be at or near the one end of the pool. :D With my "aggressive" (not mean spirited) swimming, most lap swimmers don't usually just hop right in with me anyway.

It just sucks when you have an awesome workout planned, you're all alone, warming up, getting into the main set, and then all of a sudden you're bombarded by a couple of people that want to "do laps" in your lane. :bouncing: "Do you mind if we share with you?" I've always wanted to answer back with: "Hell yeah I mind!!" :bolt:
Errrm... I have no comments.... Couple months I had to swim in the evening and the situation in the pool sometimes looked like this http://www.sportsection.ru/upload/iblock/feb/feb07ed4c3a93374f57ea5e61013eb54.jpg
I got used to that because there are only 2 options in the evening: 1) to swim in the crowded pool or 2) not to swim at all. So I had to accustom.
The only thing I tried to avoid in such situation was backstroke because once I had an accident with one noodler swimming lazy breaststroke - when he went to a kind of streamline underwater I swam on top of him without seeing him and when he went for air I was there on top and he started to panic because he couldn't get to the surface. Happily he didn't get drawn. :afraid:
Even now when I swim very early in the morning I have to share a lane with 1-2 people who swim slower than me I got so used to that that I don't even notice them and automatically take over.
Still there is a thing I don't like and have to overcome myself - it's cold. When I get from shower to the pool space where both water and air are cold I have desire to escape back to the shower :bolt:so it takes an effort to make myself to jump to the water and warm up. After couple lengths I'm fine.

chaos
March 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
poor air circulation

swimshark
March 9th, 2012, 07:24 AM
For me, just being alone. My brain goes through the process of "well no one else is training, so you don't need to because they're not doing anything that makes them faster" However, once every billion years when I'm alone I train hard to get ahead XD

@&*@
#$%
&$#!!

Both of these. I swim with a team unless my husband is out of town for work. Then I'm on my own, later in the day. When I swim later I find myself wishing it were over and thinking a lot about going to the bathroom. And the shoulder pain doesn't help, with the team or alone.

I swim with age groupers and some days we have our own "masters" lane. This week we added 2 new people to the lane. I'm 41, one is 18 and the other is 22 and so far it's totally thrown off my practice. We run in to each other, run over each other, etc. The original 3 of us work together well. Right now the lane is in chaos and I don't like it. Makes me want to swim on my own. :afraid:

jethro
March 9th, 2012, 08:01 AM
There was a dude who hocked a giant loogie into the pool water in the lane next to mine. I know there's all kinds of nasty stuff in the water at all times, but any visual reminder of that is enough for me to call it a day.

__steve__
March 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM
There's a person that only does aerobic breast swimming. The pool has no gutter and is narrow, he's large so imagine a bucket of water inside a rally car. Anyhow, he blows his nostrils at each end of the length plastering everything with his snot vapor - truly disgusting behavior. Once noticed the deck was slippery near the ledge on the end where he swam.

ande
March 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
This is similar to
swim rant
Swim Rant - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

Debugger
March 9th, 2012, 09:57 AM
There's a person that only does aerobic breast swimming. The pool has no gutter and is narrow, he's large so imagine a bucket of water inside a rally car. Anyhow, he blows his nostrils at each end of the length plastering everything with his snot vapor - truly disgusting behavior. Once noticed the deck was slippery near the ledge on the end where he swam.
That's really disgusting! :afraid:

Rob Copeland
March 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Being circled by a large grey fin whilst open water swimming.

Chris Stevenson
March 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Being circled by a large grey fin whilst open water swimming.

Funny that you mention that. I was just thinking that the posts in this thread threaten to do for pool swimming what the movie Jaws did for OW swimming in the oceans.

scyfreestyler
March 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
poor air circulation

I'll second this comment. Lack of air circulation along with warm and humid air just takes the wind out of my sails.

Redbird Alum
March 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Small children warming up the already too warm pool through a variety of bodily functions out of either end.

Even worse, when the guard doesn't care enough to clear the pool after such event.

cheakamus
March 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
The building managers deciding to refinish the gym floor upstairs (no notice given), and the air-conditioning system flushing the toxic vapors into the pool area. (I didn't swim for a week. And no, they didn't close the pool!)

moodyrichardson
March 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM

@&*@
#$%
&$#!!

EXACTLY!! Love your avatar by the way. HUGE Moody Blues fan here, hence my user name!

smontanaro
March 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM
The building managers deciding to refinish the gym floor upstairs...

Which reminds me of the time a couple months ago they decided to replace the rubber pads on the blocks while the pool was in use and used WD-40 to dissolve the old glue. Lovely getting that sprayed in the water as you approach the wall...

ALM
March 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Here's what killed my swim workout today: the ADORABLE, 11-month-old Rachel Roddin. Rachel is here with her parents, Jeff and Julie, visiting Grandma and Grandpa. They were all at the pool today and once Rachel got in my workout ended, as I just had to go play with her!

slow
March 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I don't really stop much. This week they decided to pressure wash the deck while I was swimming. With diesel fumes hanging in the air, the attendent sprayed all of the dreck right into the pool while the lifeguard and the aquatic director watched. Then he washed the walls and hosed down my towel for good measure.

I just swam through.

Lui
March 9th, 2012, 06:51 PM
- floating band-aids
- a long hair that gets stuck in my mouth(once it got stuck in the strap of my goggles and was flapping in my face....shutter
- perfumed old women
- stinky people that you somehow can smell underwater that make you gag
- a person literally swimming in his underwear(alternative: shorts)

The grossest thing that made me get out of the pool was this weird guy at a pool in London who looked like a lunatic and had open wounds on his body(didn't really want to look) and he was pressing one wound on his arm like it was a big zit in the locker room.
Next thing I know he's next to me in the pool. That was too disgusting and I left.:eek:

Try to top that:D

smontanaro
March 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Here's what killed my swim workout today: the ADORABLE, 11-month-old Rachel Roddin.

What??? No pictures???

philoswimmer
March 10th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I am working on not letting anything kill my swim (except, of course, legitimate pain or illness). It's too easy to let myself get worked up over something and lose my focus. I generally regret it later.

jswim
March 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I am working on not letting anything kill my swim (except, of course, legitimate pain or illness). It's too easy to let myself get worked up over something and lose my focus. I generally regret it later.

I'm working on the same thing mainly because I have a hard enough time trying to make 5-swims / week anyway! :)

That being said...
when the pool is so crowded that there are at least two people per lane, and they're all split between fast/slow, or slow/slow, and circle swimming becomes a challenge at best, I find it difficult to see the point in swimming because most of it ends up as garbage yards anyway.

Though if someone was blowing snott all over the end of the pool, or someone with open sores all over their body was in my lane, I may just have to excuse myself! :bolt:

Bobinator
March 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I do great at an organized practice but when I swim solo I end up taking 90 minutes or so to do 3,200 scy. I keep talking to my various pool buddies who come and go during my work-out so I end up taking more time than I should between sets. Oh well, I rather have friends and social time I guess.

orca1946
March 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Family & kid problems!!!!!

sydned
March 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I stopped the day a guy had a seizure on the side of the pool, fell in, and had to be rescued by the lifeguard. Other people kept swimming and I took it upon myself to stop everyone in the other lanes so that the lifeguard could focus and we would be available to get additional help if needed. The ambulance came, the man was taken to the hospital, and while some folks started swimming again, I just couldn't get there. Somehow, it felt disrespectful.

We did find out later that he was fine, thankfully.

splacke
March 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Water temps >83 degrees.

Celestial
March 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I stopped the day a guy had a seizure on the side of the pool, fell in, and had to be rescued by the lifeguard. . . The ambulance came, the man was taken to the hospital, and while some folks started swimming again, I just couldn't get there. Somehow, it felt disrespectful.

Glad to hear it! That would mess with my swim too.

My brain is usually what interferes with a good swim. Sometimes I am so emotional about something totally unrelated to swimming that I just cannot let it go & get in a good swim. This is one of the good things about swimming at the crack of dawn - very little has occurred at that time of day for me to think about other than swimming!! Swimming at lunchtime or in the evening however, is another story all together. When I have those kind of days, albeit very infrequently, I usually get in an 800 or so and then just call it a day.
I used to do that swimming solo too, if no one else came to push me, I was not capable of pushing myself. Now that I don't really have much choice, I have learned how to push myself, even without the benefit of a clock, if necessary. I wish I had developed this ability years ago, because it is very liberating! Swimming should not be like tennis, where one is dependent upon a partner to play - it generally is an individual sport, but I will agree - I love having someone to chase & race! I am usually much happier with workouts that include friends.

rxleakem
March 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM
There are not too many things that can zap my desire to swim. I usually try to make the best of my time in and swim around folks who are going different speeds, and I am used to the warmer water that I cherish times that I can get in colder pools.

That being said, here are two things recently that have distracted me:

1. Our pool is going to be closed this summer to rebuild the walls that enclose the pool. Well, the town was in and had two guys on ladders removing the panels near the ceiling - it was just gross lokking on the other side of those pretty whitewashed walls, and I did not want to breathe any of that stuff in. Good thing it will be fixed!
2. I get annoyed when something happens when splitting the lane and then ... Some slower swimmers will move into the lane from the medium lane, and then more follow, and soon there are six people circling in the fast lane and two splitting the medium lane. :bump:
:2cents:

TRYM_Swimmer
March 11th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Water temps >83 degrees.

Ditto!

TUTs_mama
March 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM
This post is so perfect for me after the week I had working out!!!

First of all, I am newly back in the pool and thanks to an irratic work schedule and a young child, I am forced to work out at a gym within the confines of daycare hours, so that is really my only hindrance.... However, some notable mentions:

1) Water walkers! I get it, it is good exercise, but please, you are only using up 2 square feet of space. Please group yourselves into one lane only. It is sad to see all the swimmers in one lane and water walkers taking up the other two! And if you ask to share with them, well, I have never had another swimmer be that rude!

2) The eternal lane pausers/loungers. Just last week I had a guy get into my lane (it's fine, I can share). However, he swam one lap and then proceeded to just stand in the shallow end of my lane. I swam on and finally he decided to move to the deeper end. And then he just stood there! Blocking my wall! I waited and waited and finally something clued him in that the tatted up lady whose swim cap just ripped, the one with dang near smoke coming out of her nostrils, would like you, sir, to get out of the lane unless you want plan on actually swimming.

3) Cutesy couples frolicking in the pool also get me...

I should probably get out of the gym here pretty soon....

EJB190
March 12th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I stopped the day a guy had a seizure on the side of the pool, fell in, and had to be rescued by the lifeguard. Other people kept swimming and I took it upon myself to stop everyone in the other lanes so that the lifeguard could focus and we would be available to get additional help if needed. The ambulance came, the man was taken to the hospital, and while some folks started swimming again, I just couldn't get there. Somehow, it felt disrespectful.

We did find out later that he was fine, thankfully.

Back when I was a lifeguard, I was told if there was an emergency that required the use of the lifeguards (1 or more), the pool was to be cleared because now no one is watching the water. Good for you for getting the other people out of the water. Glad to hear the guy is ok.

I had a small kid have a seizure in the pool once. Scariest moment of my life. I know seizures are "common" (relatively speaking) in children and that they aren't known to cause direct damage (usually the result of instantly using consciousness causes the problems- traumatic injuries, drowning, etc). Being a kid its concerning, and knowing there is nothing you can really do except wait sucks.

Back to the subject: Away meets at pools with gross locker rooms. I feel like dirty locker rooms equates to dirty pools. If they can't take care of the lock room, how can they take care of the pool. I once had a meet at an inner city school. The pool tasted like sweat and was like 99 degrees. The locker room looked like something out of the SAW movies. There was blood on the floor and walls in one area. Everything was rusted or tarnished. Garbage everywhere. I heard the girls locker room was even worse with used tampons and pads all over the place.

Finding a carrot in the pool killed my swim once. I finished my set, pulled my goggles up to rest and get a drink. Next to me floating in the water is a carrot. I'm not sure if someone was eating in the natatorium or if someone vomited it up. I got out of the pool immediately suspecting the worst.

__steve__
March 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'll get plastered for this but I have nothing to lose - H2O temperature < 80˚F. Exposure to anything below and my motor skills slow and I eventually show characteristic symptoms of hypothermia. I'm not much of a noodler either, contrary to what I've seen otherwise, they like it cool where I'm from, like below 80˚:worms:

I don't know why, maybe lack of insulation, thermoregulation malfunction, or perhaps lack of CNS excitation (I'm lazy):D?

nhc
March 13th, 2012, 01:47 AM
There is a swimming instructor (who is never seen swimming ;)) at our pool who, heaven knows why, from time to time would show up with outrageously strong perfume--no exaggeration. The smell gets all over the pool and deck. He only stands on the deck, never gets in water. The perfume was strong enough to disturb our swims since we couldn't cover our noses. But when he's standing on the deck right above you at the pool end, it was simply suffocating, truly suffocating. Why would a swim instructor wear such strong pungent perfume at a class session?

funkyfish
March 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Why would a swim instructor wear such strong pungent perfume at a class session?
To impress the Ladies? Guys? Anyone within nose-shot? :D

I've encountered numerous items listed above, so it's good (or bad) to know this happens to others as well. Really haven't had anything outside of physical problems ruin my swim. Recently the pool thermostat has been on the mend, so they've been adjusting the temp manually. When it was 78 it was great, although chilly if you weren't moving. When they cranked it up to 88 two days later, I got in, swam about 1000yds, and couldn't do much more than that.

I've found the following in the pool when swimming: scorpions, brown grass spiders, band-aids, hair, pieces of toilet? paper, rocks, ear plugs, and possibly some other stuff that I can't remember currently. Please understand, these items have been found on random occasions, and for the most part our pool is clean and pretty much uncrowded. On the other hand, we have a local outdoor 50m pool that doubles as a lap pool in the mornings, and a rec pool in the afternoons. One summer while swimming laps, I observed a tampon at the bottom of the lane I was swimming in. That was enough to get me out.
:p

2fish&1whale
March 14th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Lets see? Besides the usual rant stuff-sharing lanes or yucky floaters?
I don't mind feeling sore,but intense pain would def. be a reason.I also usually am able to zone out during a workout,almost like meditating, and when I loose focus, sometimes it is just better to call it a day.At that point it just feels like I am fighting the water and my technique goes to crap and I know I will be in more pain then neccessary the next day.

The loosing focus part usually happens when there are extremely strong odors(BO,perfume,deck cleaner or food)or someone gets in the lane who is just a spaz.So I guess I'm back to the ranting....dang.:bitching:

Abradshaw
March 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Seeing an overweight swimmer with a way too small speedo.. uggg..