PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for OW Sharks 'n Minnows??

jaadams1
March 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Check this out:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/33040/spectacular+shark+feeding+frenzy+filmed+off+austra lia/

Not the best time for a swim!

rxleakem
March 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I worry about snapping turtles and sucker fish.
:afraid:

swimthegoodfight
March 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Has anyone on the board found themselves in a school of baitfish?

I am mostly speaking to the channel swimmers but any regular CiBBOW / pacific masters and more of you might have had this experience.

IF I SWAM CATALINA and found myself in a school of bait, my mind would definitely cue the jaws soundtrack.

Chicken of the Sea
March 13th, 2012, 02:17 PM
a lot of my childhood was spent at the beach. My father would go fishing off the beach while my sister and I played in the water all day. I've just recently realised that he would drive us up and down the beach looking for the huge schools of bait fish because that's where the game fish he was looking for were going to be!
so in retrospect I think I spent most of my childhood summers bodysurfing amongst schools of bait fish and never gave it a second thought until now.

E=H2O
March 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Has anyone on the board found themselves in a school of baitfish?

Years ago I was bodysurfing some shore break north of Cabo San Lucas and suddenly found myself in the midst of a rapidly swimming school of bait fish. Water clarity was not good that close to shore so I couldn't see what had them all worked up, but I immediately got out. And I mean immediately.

kevin@bluesteel.org
March 23rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
In August we regularly swim through and with schooling pink salmon up here in Sitka, AK. sometimes we will split up our swim group where one will actually scare up a large school and they will go rushing by the other group. Its pretty awesome when a hundred or so 10-15 pound salmon go rushing by you!

While we don't usually see too many sharks our shallow waters, we do have some pretty big sealions! check out the latest issue of Swimmer. That's Kris Calvin one of our perennial Sitka Sound open ocean racers with that bull stellar sealion. While that was a pretty close encounter, we regularly see those guys checking us out on swims!

come up and join us for the Change Your Latitude Challenge.... experience for yourself! :afraid:

www.changeyourlatitude.org

vimier
March 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
That is an amazing idea, and sounds like a ton of fun! I am not really sure where I would play though, maybe Lake Michigan?