PDA

View Full Version : DO ectomorphs make the best swimmers?

zpuffin
March 13th, 2012, 01:29 AM
A lot of girl swimmers that I see are either endo or meso. I have seen some pictures of mesomorph girl swimmers and I don't know how they manage it.

I am an ectomorph and I try to make the best of it. Apparently ectomorph have the best strength to weight ratio (correct me if I am wrong) which means I can keep benching and lifting heavy to get stronger without gaining too much mass like the other somatypes.

What do you guys think?

The Fortress
March 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I would tend to agree that many elite swimmers are ectomorphs. But swimmers do come in all sizes and shapes. Why do you not understand how mesomorphs "manage it"? I am a short mesomorph and have managed to overcome this apparent quasi disability.

Debugger
March 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I would agree if you mean stayers. But if you take a look at sprinters... - I don't think so. Here are some of them:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/07/28/sp_warnecke_2907_wideweb__430x368.jpg

http://www.i-swimmer.ru/foto/korotyshkin/korotyshkin2.jpg

http://www.i-swimmer.ru/foto/bernard/alain_bernard0041.jpg

gaash
March 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM
pretty sure in terms of body type, height is by far the most important trait.

sickfish
March 13th, 2012, 11:17 AM
As a complete non-expert with an accidental minor in psychology (because his girlfriend in college was a psychology major) I'd say it's probably not a great idea to put a lot of stock in pseudoscience from seventy years ago.

I suppose I can't speak for women, but I'm pretty sure that if your lifting is a complement to your swimming, you won't have to worry about "gaining too much mass". The improved strength and fitness will make up for any hydrodynamic loss from your bulging triceps and rippling quads. Personally, I can put on muscle really well, especially when I'm not burning all my calories in the pool, but if I wanted to get so big, or lose that much mobility, I'd have to actually make that a goal. It would probably take a good forty or fifty pounds of muscle for that to happen, and then I'd be like Schwarzenegger in the 60s. It's certainly not going to happen accidentally. Bernard is a beast with shoulders bigger than his head and it doesn't seem to be slowing him down any.

Jazz Hands
March 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM
"Ectomorph" is not a real scientific thing. It was part of some pseudoscience about predicting personality based on body shape.

Chris Stevenson
March 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
"Ectomorph" is not a real scientific thing. It was part of some pseudoscience about predicting personality based on body shape.

Only a mesomorph, especially an Aquarius, would say such a thing.

Allen Stark
March 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Yep-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectomorph Basically your muscle/fat ratio is dependent on many things and alterable by diet and exercise.

orca1946
March 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Any sport person will do better if they are stronger, so do not worry about body type, you can't change what you are anyhow!!!!!

Bobinator
March 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!

Did I get that right? Oh well, you know what I mean. :)

Allen Stark
March 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Any sport person will do better if they are stronger, so do not worry about body type, you can't change what you are anyhow!!!!!

Certainly you can change body type.If you hit the weight room and put on 20 lb of muscle that changes body type.If you lose 30 lb by diet and exercise that changes your body type.Sure it is easier for some people to put on muscle or to remain skinny,but that doesn't mean that one is locked in to a particular body type.I read an interesting blurb on putting on muscle mass posted at my gym.It said if you want to bulk up you have to concentrate on bulking up,meaning eating a lot,meaning losing the 6 pk ,at least until you put on the muscle you want.

Sojerz
March 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!

Did I get that right? Oh well, you know what I mean. :)

Definitely! How may times have we seen this in all sports. Although the 6'-4"+ swimmers have a propeller size advantage, they still have to make it work.

Debugger
March 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Certainly you can change body type.If you hit the weight room and put on 20 lb of muscle that changes body type.If you lose 30 lb by diet and exercise that changes your body type.Sure it is easier for some people to put on muscle or to remain skinny,but that doesn't mean that one is locked in to a particular body type.I read an interesting blurb on putting on muscle mass posted at my gym.It said if you want to bulk up you have to concentrate on bulking up,meaning eating a lot,meaning losing the 6 pk ,at least until you put on the muscle you want.
Not really. I used to be ectomorph. While being in college I attended gym I gained 66lbs of muscles. But after I quit attending gym all 66lbs were gone and I became thin as I used to be. Same happened to some endomorph folks I know - after they stopped exercising they gained weight again.
My body type changed suddenly after 30 - I started to gain weight I think that's because of hormonal changes in the body and job in the office later even increased the effect.

__steve__
March 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I quit worrying about my morph related swimming abilities, it is not worth it.