PDA

View Full Version : Go The Distance Poll

Rob Copeland
March 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM
As I entered my yardage in my Fitness Log today, I noticed that we are 20% through the year. I also noticed that I’m about 10 miles behind my goal pace. My new mini goal is to get back on pace by the end of March… I want that Nike draw string bag!!!

I’m finding that having a Goal and the annoying reminder “You'll need to pick up the pace to achieve your goal this year:” is actually working to get me to the pool on days that I would in the past have skipped.

How about you?

rxleakem
March 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm looking to get that bag this year as well. I usually check to see my progress, and I check the daily totals once or twice a week (depending on how close TG and tjrpatt are based on their blogs). It's a great feature - thanks!

Redbird Alum
March 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Actually, Rob, I'm one of those people who have decided to reduce their "automated" lifestyles.

While I appreciate your decisions to use the FLOGS and GTD systems, I really needed fewer automated tools "reminding me" of things I ought to be doing. Life's too short. :2cents:

That Guy
March 13th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I'm looking to get that bag this year as well. I usually check to see my progress, and I check the daily totals once or twice a week (depending on how close TG and tjrpatt are based on their blogs). It's a great feature - thanks!
Although I checked off "I track my workouts and use other GTD participants pace as an incentive," I didn't start doing doubles just to stay ahead of tjrpatt. He's driving the bus for our age group again, at least until the next flu bug ambushes him.

smontanaro
March 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I do pay attention to the "nag" feature, but I think it's a bit less useful than it might be. Last year I had an enormous hole in my yardage (end of March to mid-August) because of shoulder issues. Even though I reduced my goal to a manageable amount, it nagged me all the way to the end of the year (I hit my new 100-mile target on Dec 31).

A little more carrot and a little less stick might be nice. Something like, "You're behind your goal pace for the year, but based on your average yardage the past 30 days you can still make your goal! Keep it up!" Or, "You're behind your goal pace for the year, but based on your average yardage the past 30 days if you can find a way to average another 500 yards per week, you can still make your goal!"

ViveBene
March 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I eliminated the "nag" feature, having other, real nags that have to be attended to. (And yes, the admonition is a bit crudely worded.)

The online coaches are great! Their workouts, more so than who's ahead of me in yardage, are incentivizing.

matysekj
March 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Several team mates have suggested that I add a "sarcasm mode" to the goal status messages. Apparently they would rather see a message like "Maybe you should try some actual swimming in order to achieve you goal" when they are behind goal pace and "With such a wimpy goal, of course you are on pace" when ahead of goal pace. We've talked about gathering a bunch of sayings and randomly displaying them if you want the sarcasm.

Rob Copeland
March 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Several team mates have suggested that I add a "sarcasm mode" to the goal status messages.Looks like another enhancement to FLOGS.
Can we have choices? Sarcasm mode, Pollyanna mode, HAL 900 mode…

I’d like the big red light and my computer speaking to me “Just what do you think you're doing, Rob? Rob, I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question.”
and
“Look, Rob, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know you’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that your yardage will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.”

slow
March 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I track my workouts with FLOG but I also entered GTD to get some free stuff!

rxleakem
March 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Although I checked off "I track my workouts and use other GTD participants pace as an incentive," I didn't start doing doubles just to stay ahead of tjrpatt. He's driving the bus for our age group again, at least until the next flu bug ambushes him.

We know you're legit, TG. Just looking at your meet results and upcoming schedule we know your workouts are for improving your performances. I find it neat to follow fellow forumites in the GTD.

ps I like swiping set ideas from you :)
pps Just set money to the Villinova coach to keep opening late, then Tom might drop early morning swims. :D

That Guy
March 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM
We know you're legit, TG. Just looking at your meet results and upcoming schedule we know your workouts are for improving your performances. I find it neat to follow fellow forumites in the GTD.

ps I like swiping set ideas from you :)
pps Just set money to the Villinova coach to keep opening late, then Tom might drop early morning swims. :D
Thanks rxleakem!

To the idea of different GTD personas, I'd like to be able to set GTD to remain in R. Lee Ermey mode whether I'm ahead of pace or not.

magick17
March 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I need my flog. It's the best thing I'm a slave to.

knelson
March 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Looks like another enhancement to FLOGS.

Great ideas! For those who think the current incarnation "nags" too much I'd add the Stuart Smalley mode. Remember him? He was the Al Franken character on SNL who said "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" The encouragements should be written in Comic Sans, of course.

gdanner
March 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I use the FLOG just to generically keep track of my yardage totals and participate in GTD. The reminder doesn't bother me, but is not motivational either...if I have the time to swim, I'll be at the pool regardless!

Chicken of the Sea
March 13th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Several team mates have suggested that I add a "sarcasm mode" to the goal status messages. Apparently they would rather see a message like "Maybe you should try some actual swimming in order to achieve you goal" when they are behind goal pace and "With such a wimpy goal, of course you are on pace" when ahead of goal pace. We've talked about gathering a bunch of sayings and randomly displaying them if you want the sarcasm.

I was thinking maybe we could enter personalized goal status messages (for example, "get your fat bum off the couch and go swim"), but I like the idea of random insults better!

ElaineK
March 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
WoooHOOO! I'm 12 miles ahead of my goal of 400 miles for the year. :bliss:

I love the FLOG and GTD program! The first thing I do when I return home from the pool is log in my workout and see where I am compared to my goal. And, later in the afternoon, I will check my heart rate, log it in, and see how I recovered from the workout compared to other workouts. (If I'm at my usual 54, :banana:. But, if it's above 60, :afraid:.) Looking at the month on the FLOG, it's nice to be able to look at the yardage, dryland and heart rate entries and see it all at a glance.

orca1946
March 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I use the flog & G T D to keep myself honest! I like this way to keep track of what I do during the year. Thanx for making this a feature I can use,

Sojerz
March 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I started using both GTD and the FLOG shortly after joining usms and starting to swim again. Started the blog a few weeks back and have enjoyed that too. I like the FLOG's tracking features for multipsorts/workouts and the GTD goal ahead/behind feature. Last year when i started in the middle i didn't catch up to my goal until new year's eve.

I actually swam new year's eve at a pool where the A/C and chlorine levels were making me and few other swimmers cough. I kept swimming when i knew i should leave just to reach that damn goal - really crazy what motivation (with stubborness) comes from a simple goal.

I also like checking what others in my age range are doing GTD (noticed lately im hanging with Alan Stark; good company i think. Set my goal to at least reach the nike mesh swim bag this year, and im a few miles ahead at this point.

jim thornton
March 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Looks like another enhancement to FLOGS.

I’d like the big red light and my computer speaking to me “Just what do you think you're doing, Rob? Rob, I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question.”
and
“Look, Rob, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know you’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that your yardage will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.”

Rob, you are breathing very heavily. I know not everything has not been quite right with me. But I feel much better now, I really do.

Stop Dave, I'm Afraid - YouTube

gigi
March 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM

This conversation can serve no further purpose.....

jaadams1
March 13th, 2012, 07:51 PM
NI LMSC Chair/Web/Records/TTR - http://www.niagaramasters.org (http://www.niagaramasters.org/)
NI LSC Athlete Rep - http://www.niagaraswim.org (http://www.niagaraswim.org/)

Dang Greg...I think you should raise your hand at the next meeting to put a few more hats on your head as well! :D

jaadams1
March 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I use the FLOGS just to keep track of my yardage/mileage for the year. And for the FREE GOODIES along the way!! :applaud: It's nice to be able to compare how I'm doing against others out there, but not my total focus of the program. I already write down my workouts in my personal blog, and that's enough for me.

smontanaro
March 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Great ideas! For those who think the current incarnation "nags" too much I'd add the Stuart Smalley mode.

I don't want a Stuart Smalley mode. I guess people didn't understand my explanation about the current mode (or these responses are completely tongue-in-cheek and nobody really wants Jim to implement any of them). When you have a huge hole in your yardage for whatever reason, continuing to average it in, even after it's long in the past, makes the nag pretty useless, because it's not properly weighting more recent activity.

Then Elaine wrote:

WoooHOOO! I'm 12 miles ahead of my goal of 400 miles for the year. :bliss:

Maybe we need an Elaine mode. If you're not at least as far ahead of your goal as she is ahead of hers, your entire FLOG interface is rendered in blue Comic Sans font, and smilies run across the screen. :D

jaadams1
March 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Maybe we need an Elaine mode. If you're not at least as far ahead of your goal as she is ahead of hers, your entire FLOG interface is rendered in blue Comic Sans font, and smilies run across the screen. :D

Now that's funny!! Good thing I'm more ahead of my goal! :bolt:

ElaineK
March 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Then Elaine wrote:

:lmao:

Uhhh, I can think of a few Forumites who would QUIT the FLOG if that happened! :worms: :bump:

As for my goal, I thought 400 miles was a good goal for me, considering I swam 262 in my first year in Masters, in 2010, and 382 last year. I didn't think I should push it above 400, since I have upcoming vacations that will limit my swimming opportunities. But, if everything keeps going well, I should still stay ahead of my goal. :D

As for James: :applaud:

Bobinator
March 13th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I love GTD! I get a rainbow of happiness shooting through me every time I log my swims into my flog!!! I am way behind my goal this year but I'm waging a comeback and plan on catching myself up soon. If this alleged comeback doesn't occur I am well versed on how to change my goal mileage!
All kidding aside GTD is a great opportunity for all swimmers to take ownership in their training and be accountable for what they do in the pool. Oh, the prizes are wonderful too! I still can't hardly believe this program is free!

knelson
March 13th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I don't want a Stuart Smalley mode. I guess people didn't understand my explanation about the current mode (or these responses are completely tongue-in-cheek and nobody really wants Jim to implement any of them). When you have a huge hole in your yardage for whatever reason, continuing to average it in, even after it's long in the past, makes the nag pretty useless, because it's not properly weighting more recent activity.

I think Mary Sweat still maintains the Excel Spreadsheet that she started in the days before we had the online FLOGs for GTD tracking. You might be interested in this because it will give you a better view of how you're doing with the graphs, etc. It's really great and I'd still use it except for the convenience of the online tool.

And, yeah, I was totally being tongue-in-cheek with the Stuart Smalley thing. :)

Michael Heather
March 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Although my goal this year is only 999,999 miles because I cannot set a goal of 1 million any more, I was actually hoping to set a goal of ten million for the extra incentive. How about another digit or two in the goal setting section?

Donna
March 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
This year I am only keeping track of the milage for fun since I have decided to work on my sprints. This means lack of distance in favor of quality. I am not too worried about the freebies any more since I have have done several years of high milage workouts.

I am actually enjoying the change to sprints, now I just have to see if I can translate it into fast swimming at a meet.

tpost2
March 15th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I LOVE my FLOG. It keeps me motivated and gives me a realistic understanding of how hard I'm working and where I can improve.

Would it be possible to incorporate the Check Off Challenge into the FLOGs?

Celestial
March 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I LOVE the FLOG!I actually had a blog that I kept before joining USMS where I was tracking my workouts & writing all sorts of nonsense about how I felt about swimming etc, now I actually have an appropriate place to put this stuff!
I love to make lists so I can cross things off of them.
I didn't even realize I got a free suit at the end until I got an email asking for my suit size! Woo Hoo! That paid for my USMS annual membership all by itself & was painless!:D

swimshark
March 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
A groups of friends has challenged all of us to "do" the most number of miles in a 3-month period. The miles can be anything self-propelled. With that challenge, I'm walking to pick my son up from school more often. I'm using the flog to keep track of my swimming for GTD and my walking. I love how easy it is to track everything.

__steve__
March 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
GTD allowed me to lower my goal. A very good thing

Bill Sive
May 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Still waiting for last years 500 mile carrot. Do they actually send these out?

USMS Go The Distance Free Suit Award

12/20/11

Dear Go The Distance Participant,

You have reached 500 miles in the Nike GTD program and Nike, All American Swim Supply and USMS would like to award you for your efforts by presenting you with a free Nike swimsuit.

Apr 3, 2012

Dear Go The Distance Participant,

Thank you so much for your patience while we work diligently to get you your free swim suit! Nike has informed us the suits will be sent out on Friday of this week, April 6th. Please give it up to 10 business days to reach you, and of course, please feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

Not surprising really. A certain swim club does the same thing. They set a goal with a carrot. You complete the goal. Then they change the rules, so you no longer qualify for the carrot. You re-do the entire goal the new way and the carrot is still not delivered.

Anyone else still waiting for last year's carrot(s)?

SealGirl
May 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yes, I am still waiting, too. I got to 500 miles early in December, submitted my request when contacted, and have heard nothing since. I'm losing weight so I hope it still fits when it arrives!

Even without the reward I have really appreciated GTD for allowing me the sense of virtual lane mates, particularly important to me since I usually swim alone.

Good for you for your 500 miles and congratulations to all of the GTD swimmers for perseverance, enhanced health and improved quality of life.

ElaineK
May 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, I am still waiting, too. I got to 500 miles early in December, submitted my request when contacted, and have heard nothing since. I'm losing weight so I hope it still fits when it arrives!

Even without the reward I have really appreciated GTD for allowing me the sense of virtual lane mates, particularly important to me since I usually swim alone.

Good for you for your 500 miles and congratulations to all of the GTD swimmers for perseverance, enhanced health and improved quality of life.

Congratulationas to you, Carol; especially for losing weight! That's terrific; keep up (down!) the good work! :cheerleader:

Bill Sive
June 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Per the recent Fitness Committee Minutes posted on 05/30/12. Apparently not receiving carrots is pretty widespread.

Item #6 from the Fitness Committee Minutes

6. GTD email issues: MJ reported that most of the emails are about not receiving awards. MJ was not able to attend the meeting, but a decision was made that Marcia would follow up with her on email content. If this is the majority of the email, we are going to propose that we change that email account to someone at the National Office. We have no control over this issue, and it is difficult to be trying to answer questions on topics that we have no control. If it is determined that the majority of email is about not receiving items, this will be proposed.

Per the listing for the Fitness Committee MJ is most likely Mary Jane Caswell, and Marcia is Marcia Anziano, the Fitness Chair.

mlabresh
June 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I wanted to do the GTD and use the FLOG this year, but between car problems and my very late joining of USMS, it just didn't happen.

Allen Stark
June 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
I wanted to do the GTD and use the FLOG this year, but between car problems and my very late joining of USMS, it just didn't happen.

You can sign up now.If you have already recorded your swimming somewhere you can enter it in GTD. If not GTD isn't a contest and you can use it to track workouts anyway.

mlabresh
June 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
That's a good point.. I use dailymile to track my workouts. I'm not sure how far back they go, but I could at least add what's there!

Bill Sive
July 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Per the Fitness Committee Minutes July 1, 2013

4. Go the Distance Awards: A letter from an unhappy participant had been forwarded and asked to be presented at the meeting. We discussed this, but as in the past, we have no control over this process. Marcia did send a follow-up letter to Kyle asking if they know how many awards are not received.

5. Go the Distance Emails: no status on this to report. Marcia sent a request to Jody to see how to proceed with this, but has had no response. The committee would like to turn the responsibility of answering all emails over to the National Office as we do not have the ability to answer most of them without consulting the National Office.

....so we have a program USMS put out there with no one being accountable as to how well the program is running. The Fitness Committee wants to place the responsibility back to the National Office, who is not responding to them, so internally they are not communicating with each other.

The standard response I am getting from the National Office is:

"Thank you for your patience while we get this resolved, we have been in contact with Nike and they have assured us they will be sending your suit out as soon as possible. Your order was a size 30 red brief, please give it a couple of weeks and be sure to let me know if you don’t receive it by then.

Thanks again and I apologize for the inconvenience."

Thank you National Office seven months and counting.

They have never mentioned All American Swim Supply as being the impasse in the pipeline. They do point the finger at Nike, so they are inferring that Nike is unable to deliver a swimsuit every once in a while to the GTD participants. Amazing, when you look at Nike's last SEC 10Q filing they took in over $15,000,000.00 in sales (nine months ending 02/29/12).

Hilarious, a little $35.00 (retail value) swimsuit is going to break Nike's bank.

That Guy
July 8th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I recently received my mesh bag for hitting 250 miles in 2012. I think the missing awards are the exception and not the rule.

Bill Sive
July 8th, 2012, 09:58 AM
250 miles on 05/30/12 - no mesh bag. I'll give them a couple of months.

I have run into other swimmers in my area who have stated they have never received any carrots from the GTD program.

Bobinator
July 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I have participated in GTD for 4 years and I have received every milestone prize I have hit. It usually takes a while to get them but for heavens sake it's free so I'm not going to complain! I wonder if some of these people may have registered incorrectly.

smontanaro
July 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm with Bobinator. While I have never gone far enough to get a big prize, I have always received the prizes appropriate to the mileage I've gone.

__steve__
July 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM
one member put 999,999 miles for his 2012 goal lol

Bobinator
July 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM
That's aiming high!!!!! If they make it half way they're doing great!

orca1946
July 9th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I'm still ahead of my goal!!!!

mcnair
July 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
So when does sarcasm mode go active?

I've been swimming a lot in the lake lately (i.e., hitting the "open water" and "miles" selections while entering my data); one evening last week I was entering my info from a pool swim, and thought I was clicking "meters" but must have selected "miles" out of habit.... next thing I know GTD is telling me "Congratulations, you have reached your goal!" ...with more than 3000 miles!

Needless to say, I edited that pretty quickly.

__steve__
July 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
That's aiming high!!!!! If they make it half way they're doing great!Yes it is, considering half that distance is a trip to the moon and back.

Anyway, I'm ahead of my modest goal. Although I usually swim 6-7 days a week, my workouts are not that long - 1000 - 1500 meters. But they're tough, and pull buoyless. I'm only at 154 miles now

swimcat
July 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I didn't do it this year as last year i became a slave to it. I still keep track on my own

Allen Stark
July 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Here it is July and neither my wife nor I have gotten our 2011 "goodies."Will they ever come ?

Bill Sive
July 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Allen,

I would encourage you to contact Nike directly since you are in Oregon, and their HQ is in Oregon. Alas, that would probably not sit well with USMS.

On the other hand I CC'd Nadine Day, and Rob Butcher, on an e-mail to Kyle Deery on this subject on March 6th. I did receive a response from Kyle promsing me my 2011 carrot, however, we are now at four months later and no carrot. No response from Nadine or Rob, however, I excuse them since they were CC'd they technically do not have to respond.

I did send and e-mail to All American Swim Supply on July 6th asking them to investigate this matter and have had no response from them.

gdanner
July 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I received my mesh bag a couple months ago. For the 2011 GTD lol.

No joke. So it was approximately one year late.

art_z
July 12th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I didn't sign up (not a USMS member currently) but do track my yardage. 366.4 miles as of yesterday.

Rykno
July 15th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I've gotten all my prizes when I've earned them. But I don't do the GTD challenge for the prizes. I do it because it's harder to back down when you've posted something.

I had 700km as my 2010 goal and just made it 702.
Attempted 800km last year but work and life interfered and maxed out at 720km
This year I'm attempting 800 again but added 300km running and 5000km biking to my goals. I need to pick up my pace over the next 6 weeks but with out the GTD I would have just focused on my biking goal this year

But u definitely get motivated by the top 10 in 35-39 group

jaadams1
July 15th, 2012, 07:15 AM
But u definitely get motivated by the top 10 in 35-39 group

I'm one of them....glad I could be of service...though I'm back from the leaders by quite a bit. I'm just hoping I can make it over 500 miles again this year. I cleared it by just a few miles last year, and will be close again this year.

Bill Sive
July 29th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Glad to report, this week, I received my mesh bag for this year's 250 milestone. I informed USMS that I received it.

I still have not received last year's final carrot. I also informed USMS of this too. USMS still has not identified where the deficiency lies in the disbursement of the carrots. USMS keeps referring to Nike as the source of the deficiency.

No response, to my e-mail, sent 07/06/12, to All American Swim Supply on this matter.

Currently at 368 miles as of today. I have upped my distance to anywhere from a minimum of 4200 per swim, up to 5000 per swim, five times per week. I expect to hit 500 miles in September. Way ahead of last years pace.

orca1946
July 29th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I have real slacked off in keeping my yards !

SealGirl
August 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I received my mesh bag today for the 250 I completed in June, but still no swim suit for the 500 I finished in early Dec 2011. I don't swim for the prizes either, but I just wish I understood the problem with the suit delivery.

fatboy
August 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have real slacked off in keeping my yards !

Surgery will tend to have that effect Oz!! Hope you are back in the water soon!

Bill Sive
August 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Received my Go the Distance swim brief for 2011 this week. I did send a thank you to USMS for putting up with my persistant e-mails over the past few months.

Supposedly when you reach the 500 mile milestone, this year, there is something put in place to make it easier to obtain the swimsuit. I'll follow up, unless someone else can, when I reach my 500 miles. As of last night I am at 416 miles for this calendar year. I anticipate reaching 500 miles by the end of September.

magick17
August 23rd, 2012, 01:17 PM

Too funny!

joshua
August 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I really like the tracker and it does motivate me.

joshua
November 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Today, 8 Nov., I reached my goal. :cheerleader: In Jan. I thought that 250km. was a realistic annual goal. I don't know if the tracker made the difference, but perhaps it gave me a little subconscious motivation. Anyway, I reset my goal to 300km.

Rob Copeland
November 9th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Congratulations!:applaud:

I agree that setting a goal and tracking have made a difference for me as well. In my case, I’m sure I would have skipped a lot more days if I didn’t have the goal on the horizon and the tracker to provide the milestones.

Debugger
November 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM
2010 - 172km
2011 - 412.6km
2012 - 627km - I guess 750 is quite reachable in this year if I stay healthy.
2013 - ??? I'm afraid even to think about it :bolt:

Michael Heather
November 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I reset my goal to reach 1 yard and found that I was on top of the heap, reaching about 47,500,000% of my goal, so I reset it again for something a little more challenging. Ten million miles. Now I show .047% of the goal, giving me room to improve.

That Guy
November 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I set my 2012 goal in yards and it looks like I'm going to reach that goal somewhere around 5 weeks before the end of the year. So next year I will set the same goal, but in meters rather than yards. :canada:

jaadams1
November 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I set my 2012 goal in yards and it looks like I'm going to reach that goal somewhere around 5 weeks before the end of the year. So next year I will set the same goal, but in meters rather than yards. :canada:

...and try to make it only swimming 6 days a week! :bolt:

ElaineK
November 16th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I reached my 2012 goal of 400 miles today! :bliss:
My past goals and miles were:
2010: 262 (Goal 250 miles)
2011: 382 (Goal 350 miles)

jaadams1
November 16th, 2012, 10:03 PM

Nice job...I'm almost to my 500 Mile goal as well...about 98% of the way there.

rxleakem
November 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM

Way to go, Elaine! :woot:

__steve__
November 17th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I am at 246 now:D

ElaineK
November 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM

WoooHooo; you will get a free Nike suit for that! Way to go, James!

Way to go, Elaine! :woot:

Thanks, RX! :D

joshua
November 17th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Wow! I am really impressed by the distances posted. I am on track for 300km. this year. I was thinking about 2013 and maybe I can up it a bit to 350km. max. I like to keep my sessions at 2000m. I swim before work so I have a time limitation. Also, at this volume I do not get over tired and can swim 5 times a week. Finally, I don't want to think only in terms of volume. Quality is also important.

Action_hack
November 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I just signed up as a U.S. Masters Swimmer last week. My goal is to make sure I get 50 miles in before the end of the year and claim my swim cap. It might be tricky since I have a 2 week vacation coming up where I won't be able to swim. But as long as I am motivated when I get back I should easily hit that mark. Next year I'm going to shoot for 750 miles. Does anyone know for sure if this program will be continued in 2013? It's a really nice feature that will give me another excuse to hit the pool instead of staying in bed. :bed:

knelson
November 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM

I'm not going to make my goal. It was a little lofty at one million meters (i.e. 1000 km or about 621 miles). Right now I'm 95 miles behind the pace I'd need to get there! I will make 500 miles, though.

Bill Sive
November 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM
For all my previous comments on the GTD carrots, I have to say this year was much better than in years past. I believe they have their issues resolved.

2010 = 357 miles
2011 = 575 miles (500 miles on 11/10/11)
2012 = 582 miles (and still counting) (500 miles on 09/30/12)

ElaineK
November 18th, 2012, 07:54 PM
For all my previous comments on the GTD carrots, I have to say this year was much better than in years past. I believe they have their issues resolved.

2010 = 357 miles
2011 = 575 miles (500 miles on 11/10/11)
2012 = 582 miles (and still counting) (500 miles on 09/30/12)

Awesome, Bill! :applaud: The best part about it is that you truly love being in the pool. I remember that when we met in Long Beach; we're both nuts about swimming! :bliss:

orca1946
November 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM
This week I reach my year's goal !!!:applaud::banana:

__steve__
November 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM
↑Congratulations↑

I'm at 248 mi now and my goal was only 200 miles. For breakdown I'm estimating at least:
- 41 miles were straight kicking
- 40 miles above 1.6m/s*
- 38 miles of drills
- 18 miles were fly
- 10 miles were over 1.7m/s*
- Less than 10 miles were with a bouy
- 5 miles were backstroke
- 4.5 miles were done in Spain
- Less than 2 miles were breastroke (this will change now)
- a net 200 meters at ~1.95m/s maintained for at least one length
- 37.5 meters of naked swimming*
- Haven't used fins yet (probably need them)
- 90% was done in over 84⁰F water (over 90⁰F a couple times)
*does not include wall and dive speed

This is all calculated, think I will actually keep track of these in 2013

joshua
November 22nd, 2012, 01:46 AM
↑Congratulations↑

I'm at 248 mi now and my goal was only 200 miles. For breakdown I'm estimating at least:
- 41 miles were straight kicking
- 40 miles above 1.6m/s*
- 38 miles of drills
- 18 miles were fly
- 10 miles were over 1.7m/s*
- Less than 10 miles were with a bouy
- 5 miles were backstroke
- 4.5 miles were done in Spain
- Less than 2 miles were breastroke (this will change now)
- a net 200 meters at ~1.95m/s maintained for at least one length
- Haven't used fins yet (probably need them)
- 90% was done in over 84⁰F water (over 90⁰F a couple times)
*does not include wall and dive speed

This is all calculated, think I will actually keep track of these in 2013

Ah....the scientific approach. Can you please clarify:
How much of the 5 miles backstroke was done naked, with a buoy and in Spain? :D

__steve__
November 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Ah....the scientific approach. Can you please clarify:
How much of the 5 miles backstroke was done naked, with a buoy and in Spain? :DI lied, I didn't swim any breastroke. Just put it up there to see if anyone would read.

Happy Thanksgiving!

knelson
November 22nd, 2012, 12:44 PM

You dove in and your suit fell off at 12.5 meters? I applaud you for completing the 50. :applaud: :)

knelson
November 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Today was my annual day to be in awe of the GTD leaders. Every so often I'll see where I stack up in my age group, but today I decided to look at the overall list. The first thing that stood out is just how far the leaders have swum and the second was just how far down the list I am. I had to scroll through lots of swimmers before I found my name.

As of November 22nd, 15 swimmers are over 1,000 miles. The leader, Timothy Martin is at 1828.05 miles (he's 300 miles ahead of second place!). The 22nd was the 326th day of the year. That means he's averaged 5.61 miles or 9869 yards per day! To be over 1,000 miles right now you'd need to average 5,400 yards per day. That is a lot of swimming. :bow:

Bill Sive
November 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Kirk,

I am agreement with you on the GTD participants who have high distances for the year, this year, and/or any year. 1,000 + miles is quite a feat.

I sent an e-mail to the GTD mailbox earlier this year asking them to reach out to those swimmers and inquire about their GTD participation vs personal life.

To have swum 1,800 + miles, to me, means very little time for anything else, regarding family life, and social life. I would like to know how these folks find that swim/life/work balance.

I normally swim in the 3500 - 4000 range, and still have time to volunteer, do social activities, and family life. I swim 5-6 times per week.

Are these high distance swimmers unemployed, self-employed, retired, students who are supported by their parents or grants/scholarships, etc. I am curious as next year for GTD I plan on being in the 4000 - 5000 range each time I swim next year.

I do surmise that many of the high distance swimmers are primarily Open Water swimmers. That's just a guess.

I would like USMS and/or Swimmer magazine look into this particular phenomenon.

knelson
November 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
To swim 10,000 yards at a fast pace of 1:15 per 100 yards would require 125 minutes. To swim the same distance at a 1:30 pace would require 150 minutes. And remember that's swimming every single day. I certainly don't have that kind of dedication. If I get in five days in a week it's an achievement! Some people really like to exercise, though. I'm not one of them.

jim thornton
November 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
My friend John Kuzmkowski, who is currently in second place: John Kuzmkowski M58 ALMT 1,524.40

would probably answer some of Bill's questions. John is not a terribly speedy swimmer but he is a very dedicated and indefatigable one. I am fairly certain he swims almost every day in the early morning, and does so in a steady fashion for 90 minutes or perhaps longer, before going to work. He's the owner of a roofing company and is by no means retired. I don't think his swimming interferes with the rest of his life.

I, too, admire people with this much stamina and perseverance. I don't think my shoulders could hold out doing this much yardage, and I suspect my times in shorter races would be negatively impacted because when you are going exclusively for distance, it's hard to work in much real sprint or middle distance work.

That said, I'm off to burn some of the 17,832 calories I ate yesterday with a slow fat-burning il garbagio swim at the Y! Assuming, that is, my bulk does not displace all the water from the pool...see more at my vlog.

orca1946
November 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I just made my yearly goal this week , so it's gravy for the last 5 weeks of this year !

jethro
December 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
After coming up just short of 500 miles for the year in each of the last two years, I finally did it. I'm at 501 as of this morning. :banana:

magick17
December 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Kirk,

I am agreement with you on the GTD participants who have high distances for the year, this year, and/or any year. 1,000 + miles is quite a feat.

I sent an e-mail to the GTD mailbox earlier this year asking them to reach out to those swimmers and inquire about their GTD participation vs personal life.

To have swum 1,800 + miles, to me, means very little time for anything else, regarding family life, and social life. I would like to know how these folks find that swim/life/work balance.

I normally swim in the 3500 - 4000 range, and still have time to volunteer, do social activities, and family life. I swim 5-6 times per week.

Are these high distance swimmers unemployed, self-employed, retired, students who are supported by their parents or grants/scholarships, etc. I am curious as next year for GTD I plan on being in the 4000 - 5000 range each time I swim next year.

I do surmise that many of the high distance swimmers are primarily Open Water swimmers. That's just a guess.

I would like USMS and/or Swimmer magazine look into this particular phenomenon.

I know of 2 men in my Lmsc that swim high distances and both lead very fulfilled lives actually probably more than the average person. I disagree with your post tone but agree they should be highlighted by USMS

magick17
December 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
My friend John Kuzmkowski, who is currently in second place: John Kuzmkowski M58 ALMT 1,524.40

would probably answer some of Bill's questions. John is not a terribly speedy swimmer but he is a very dedicated and indefatigable one. I am fairly certain he swims almost every day in the early morning, and does so in a steady fashion for 90 minutes or perhaps longer, before going to work. He's the owner of a roofing company and is by no means retired. I don't think his swimming interferes with the rest of his life.

I, too, admire people with this much stamina and perseverance. I don't think my shoulders could hold out doing this much yardage, and I suspect my times in shorter races would be negatively impacted because when you are going exclusively for distance, it's hard to work in much real sprint or middle distance work.

That said, I'm off to burn some of the 17,832 calories I ate yesterday with a slow fat-burning il garbagio swim at the Y! Assuming, that is, my bulk does not displace all the water from the pool...see more at my vlog.

Yep, John is my one also and Darren Miller, who doesn't flog but trains long distance and works and does charity work, etc.

knelson
December 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I disagree with your post tone but agree they should be highlighted by USMS

Me too. I'm curious how these people train. Are they in the water every day? Do they do exclusively long, non-stop swims? And how they balance all the swimming with their non-swimming lives?

My wife thinks I swim a lot and I'm not even to 500 miles for the year yet!

__steve__
December 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I can think of ways to budget time and still have time for personal life, community, and family:
Don't have a television, have a compact yard requiring little maintenance, efficient meal recipes, kids out of house, no movies, cut back on internet, etc.

ElaineK
December 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
After coming up just short of 500 miles for the year in each of the last two years, I finally did it. I'm at 501 as of this morning. :banana:

:applaud: Congratulations!!! :cheerleader:

joshua
December 27th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Today I reached my third and final goal for 2012 - 320 km. After reaching my original goal of 250 km. I upped it to 300 km. then 320. I think that I can aim for 400 km. in 2013. My typical session is 2000m. so I figure that 200 swimming days is doable.

orca1946
December 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
It's good to reach goals for ourselves! Congrats to all that met or passed theirs !!

pendaluft
December 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Made my goal with one day to spare!

Celestial
December 27th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Finally made it over the 500mile mark. Yesterday I was at 499, today at 502+. Since I have four more workouts before the end of the year, I guess I should revise my goal to 510 or 515 miles!! Maybe next year, lol! :D

ElaineK
December 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Finally made it over the 500mile mark. Yesterday I was at 499, today at 502+. Since I have four more workouts before the end of the year, I guess I should revise my goal to 510 or 515 miles!! Maybe next year, lol! :D

Great job, Celestial! I'm still debating whether I should set 500 as my goal for 2013. This year, my goal was 400 and I am at 447, as of today. So far, since joining USMS in 2010, I have increased my goals and yardage, starting out with a goal of 250 and reaching 262, in 2010. I'm not sure how far I can push it before my body :bitching:... And, I definitely don't want to find out! :afraid:

smontanaro
December 27th, 2012, 10:01 PM
While I didn't make the goal I set at the beginning of the year (250 mile goal, 156 miles completed with a couple days to go), I improved substantially over the past two years (75 miles in 2010, 100 miles in 2011), so I'm happy with that. My shoulder problems started in early 2010, and I'm swimming pain-free these days. I also managed 2400+ miles on the bike, which detracted a bit from swimming (in a pure mileage sense). All-in-all, a good year I think.

ElaineK
December 27th, 2012, 10:08 PM
While I didn't make the goal I set at the beginning of the year (250 mile goal, 156 miles completed with a couple days to go), I improved substantially over the past two years (75 miles in 2010, 100 miles in 2011), so I'm happy with that. My shoulder problems started in early 2010, and I'm swimming pain-free these days. I also managed 2400+ miles on the bike, which detracted a bit from swimming (in a pure mileage sense). All-in-all, a good year I think.

That's what's most important! If you are happy with the year you had, that is key. It sounds like you had a heck of a year on the bike, in addition to your swimming. And, being pain-free is :bliss:

HappyNew Year, Skip! And, good luck in 2013!

Rykno
December 28th, 2012, 05:38 AM
quick question about the FLOG. why a max number of input digits? 9999min is the most. i want to add a year end bike but 12862 minutes doesn't work.

same thing with km, its not there and 5,127,000m is too much.

i've done it now in two post but it looks funny. the totals for 1588 miles times two comes up as 1136. almost like the most one post can have is 568miles.

actually it looks like 1,000,000yds is the most in one day

Rob Copeland
December 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
quick question about the FLOG. why a max number of input digits? 9999min is the most. i want to add a year end bike but 12862 minutes doesn't work.

same thing with km, its not there and 5,127,000m is too much.

i've done it now in two post but it looks funny. the totals for 1588 miles times two comes up as 1136. almost like the most one post can have is 568miles.

actually it looks like 1,000,000yds is the most in one dayQuick answer…Maybe you track time differently in Sweden, but in the USA there are only 1400 minutes in a day. I’m not sure how you got 214 hours in your day.

And my caps off to you if you can cycle more than 1,000,000 yards in 1 day! By my calculation you are averaging almost 24 MPH nonstop for 24 hours. An outstanding ride.

Britt03
December 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I love my FLOG and track every workout I do. Now that the year comes to an end, I would love to get all my tracked workouts (I write down every practice I swim in my FLOG) printed so I can go back anytime I need a workout idea or am too busy to write a new workout. Does FLOG have that feature?
I love that I don't have to carry around my practice book anymore daily to immediately write down my workouts, therefore FLOG is really convenient and of course additionally being able to participate in GTD is extra motivation.
I am actually considering going back to the good old book if there is no such feature. Can anyone help?

ekw
December 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I love my FLOG and track every workout I do. Now that the year comes to an end, I would love to get all my tracked workouts (I write down every practice I swim in my FLOG) printed so I can go back anytime I need a workout idea or am too busy to write a new workout. Does FLOG have that feature?
I love that I don't have to carry around my practice book anymore daily to immediately write down my workouts, therefore FLOG is really convenient and of course additionally being able to participate in GTD is extra motivation.
I am actually considering going back to the good old book if there is no such feature. Can anyone help?

Agreed, that would be a very cool feature. I don't know if it exists or not.

However, if it doesn't, I have a method that may work for you. I keep a document with workouts I've done and liked or ones I want to try in a Google Doc, which is like Word but it lives in the cloud, and when I FLOG something and want to keep it I cut and paste it into that document. It's a two step process but I can get back to both places from any computer with internet access.

Britt03
December 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Agreed, that would be a very cool feature. I don't know if it exists or not.

However, if it doesn't, I have a method that may work for you. I keep a document with workouts I've done and liked or ones I want to try in a Google Doc, which is like Word but it lives in the cloud, and when I FLOG something and want to keep it I cut and paste it into that document. It's a two step process but I can get back to both places from any computer with internet access.

Great idea. I might have to do that although the idea of a print button on my FLOG is definitely a dream.

Bill Sive
December 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Last swim for 2012 was today. Final mileage 632.84 miles. I reached my 500 mile goal back in September.

I entered GTD for 2013. I received an e-mail response stating that in 2013 the GTD results will be posted in the results section of the USMS website. I think that's pretty cool.

Congratulations to everyone who reached their 2012 GTD swimming goals.

Will be doing a Polar Plunge and swim on New Year's Day. First swim meet in 2013 is this upcoming January 6th.

Happy New Year to everyone.

-----------------------------

Swim With Mike

http://www.swimwithmike.org/swimmer/?swimmerID=11169

KatieK
December 31st, 2012, 07:44 AM
I just received my swimsuit. Unfortunately, they sent me a jammer. I don't remember which version of the ladies suit I ordered, but I definitely didn't order the jammer. Any idea who I should contact?

matysekj
December 31st, 2012, 08:21 AM
Katie, please email gtd@usms.org with your full name and details so we can arrange an exchange. A few of the suits were mixed up in fulfillment in the latest batch. We apologize for the inconvenience.

fatboy
December 31st, 2012, 01:01 PM
Had the flu since the 27th and thought I'd miss my goal. Feeling better today and got in the last mile I needed to make my goal of 250 miles! Last year I did 150 so I am happy with this years GTD totals.

Happy New Year to all!

Britt03
January 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM
I only started with GTD in July. Year end, I am at 195 miles. I want to hit 500 miles next year (my almost 60 year old, never swimming A competition mom trains more than me. Ouch!)
1st new years resolution!

__steve__
January 1st, 2013, 12:10 PM
(my almost 60 year old, never swimming A competition mom trains more than me. Ouch!)
1st new years resolution!Mom's are tough

Sojerz
January 1st, 2013, 12:47 PM
Quick answer…Maybe you track time differently in Sweden, but in the USA there are only 1400 minutes in a day. I’m not sure how you got 214 hours in your day.

Actually, one can squeeze a few more minutes into a day, about 40 more min. to be exact (24x60=1,440 min.), and that's enough for at least 2k in the pool :D. And while thay are little further north in Sweden, they're still rotating around the earth's axis at the same speed.

Britt03
January 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Mom's are tough

My mom's a beast! She also bikes wherever she goes. If I ever end up like her, I am one lucky person.

That Guy
January 1st, 2013, 02:13 PM
I started off GTD 2013 right. My gym opened at 7 AM this morning, and I was there just a couple minutes after 7. I saw that the lights in the pool area were turned off, so I asked the girl at the front desk if the pool was closed. She said it wasn't closed but that she had never opened before, did not know how to turn on the lights in that area, and might call her manager to find out. I thanked her (I truly was grateful that I had not just biked to the gym in subfreezing darkness only to find an unannounced closure) and went to the locker room to change. I stepped out into the black pool area and looked for anything that might be a lightswitch. Found it pretty quickly. I hopped into the pool and enjoyed my first 100 in the eerie glow as the lights and I both warmed up. I'm already at 0.31% progress towards my GTD2013 goal! :banana:

Sportygeek
January 2nd, 2013, 01:25 AM
And my caps odd to you if you can cycle more than 1,000,000 yards in 1 day! By my calculation you are averaging almost 24 MPH nonstop for 24 hours. An outstanding ride.

It has been done. Current 24 hour cycling world record is 1216.81 miles (50.7 MPH). The rider was, however, continuously drafting an 18-wheel truck. The non-drafting standard bike men's WR is 561.57 miles (23.4MPH). http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/

That Guy
January 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
It appears that the GTD2013 results update in real-time. http://www.usms.org/fitness/results13/gtdparticipants.php :applaud:

Britt03
January 2nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
It appears that the GTD2013 results update in real-time. http://www.usms.org/fitness/results13/gtdparticipants.php :applaud:

doesn't work for me. It still shows my mileage as of yesterday although I updated my FLOG this morning after practice.

pmccoy
January 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM
It appears that the GTD2013 results update in real-time.Did you by chance swim 4200 yds yesterday? If so, you might have accidentally double posted your mileage or there may be a glitch in the system somewhere. Looks like knelson's 6650 yds he blogged got doubled on GTD as well.

matysekj
January 2nd, 2013, 01:58 PM
It's the same as 2012 - the results update every morning at around 6 a.m., so anything you log today will appear tomorrow morning. The queries to generate all the different totals and rankings are too intense to run every time someone views that page or every time someone logs another entry, so it's done just once a day.

That Guy
January 2nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Did you by chance swim 4200 yds yesterday? If so, you might have accidentally double posted your mileage or there may be a glitch in the system somewhere. Looks like knelson's 6650 yds he blogged got doubled on GTD as well.
I guess that's it - by chance I posted 4200 both yesterday and today, so the erroneous GTD total through yesterday is indistinguishable from my correct GTD total through today. But on the plus side, I've created plenty of confusion

Rob Copeland
January 2nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
I guess that's it - by chance I posted 4200 both yesterday and today, so the erroneous GTD total through yesterday is indistinguishable from my correct GTD total through today. But on the plus side, I've created plenty of confusionPeter, please note he “posted 4,200” both days. That Guy was careful not to say he actually swam 4,200 yards.

That Guy
January 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Peter, please note he “posted 4,200” both days. That Guy was careful not to say he actually swam 4,200 yards.

haters gonna hate

pmccoy
January 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
I guess that's it - by chance I posted 4200 both yesterday and today, so the erroneous GTD total through yesterday is indistinguishable from my correct GTD total through today. But on the plus side, I've created plenty of confusionLooks like you got double miles again! Is there a USMS credit card you sign up for to get that?

That Guy
January 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Looks like you got double miles again! Is there a USMS credit card you sign up for to get that?

I think I stumbled upon a magic number in GTD! I made sure to pull a Copeland (post exactly 4200) again this morning. If I can keep it going for seven more days, I will have made the world's first Decacopeland! :ohyeah:

Rob Copeland
January 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
I think I stumbled upon a magic number in GTD! I made sure to pull a Copeland (post exactly 4200) again this morning. If I can keep it going for seven more days, I will have made the world's first Decacopeland! :ohyeah:

It’s interesting that 4,200 yards is exactly the distance my avatar swims each day. Just 1 1/6 inches per stroke (he needs to work on DPS) and 90 strokes per minute for 24 hours (he’s always swimming, at least every time I check).

And there is a January Go The Distance special going on right now… All swimmers successfully completing a Decacopeland will receive an autographed heavily worn training or racing suit from a past president. And one lucky winner will win my blown-out Blue 70 tech suit.

That Guy
January 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
It’s interesting that 4,200 yards is exactly the distance my avatar swims each day. Just under 1 inch per stroke (he needs to work on DPS) and 90 strokes per minute for 24 hours (he’s always swimming, at least every time I check).

And there is a January Go The Distance special going on right now… All swimmers successfully completing a Decacopeland will receive an autographed heavily worn training or racing suit from a past president. And one lucky winner will win my blown-out Blue 70 tech suit.
i am SO winning this

matysekj
January 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
I found the problem with That Guy's double counting. No, it isn't that he is such a wonderful guy that we figured he just deserved double the mileage. Due to some issues with changing his club name and abbreviation at the turn of the registration year, his club ended up in the database twice, so anyone on the PSM club has up to today had double mileage counts in the daily reports (all but the CSV file). That will correct itself tomorrow morning.

That Guy
January 3rd, 2013, 03:00 PM
I found the problem with That Guy's double counting. No, it isn't that he is such a wonderful guy that we figured he just deserved double the mileage. Due to some issues with changing his club name and abbreviation at the turn of the registration year, his club ended up in the database twice, so anyone on the PSM club has up to today had double mileage counts in the daily reports (all but the CSV file). That will correct itself tomorrow morning.
My Decacopeland will stand on its own! A shimmering monument to... something

pmccoy
January 3rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
I found the problem with That Guy's double counting. No, it isn't that he is such a wonderful guy that we figured he just deserved double the mileage. Due to some issues with changing his club name and abbreviation at the turn of the registration year, his club ended up in the database twice, so anyone on the PSM club has up to today had double mileage counts in the daily reports (all but the CSV file). That will correct itself tomorrow morning.I suspected a scam all along. Genius! I'm a little disappointed I didn't think of this first. I'll bet this was the doings of knelson. Little did he know That Guy would change with him and start squawking about real-time GTD updates. Nice try Kirk!

jaadams1
January 3rd, 2013, 09:26 PM
I suspected a scam all along. Genius! I'm a little disappointed I didn't think of this first. I'll bet this was the doings of knelson. Little did he know That Guy would change with him and start squawking about real-time GTD updates. Nice try Kirk!

I figured it was a conspiracy by T.G. and K-Nel!! I was honestly surprised to see Kirk ahead of T.G. after the first day as well. It may never happen again in 2013 though.
Nice to be aged by FINA as well!

Happy B-day T.G. So much for our SCM/LCM racing for placings!

That Guy
January 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM
K-Nel Wait, is this a thing? I refuse to participate in this particular thing.
I was honestly surprised to see Kirk ahead of T.G. after the first day as well. It may never happen again in 2013 though.
Nice to be aged by FINA as well!

Happy B-day T.G. So much for our SCM/LCM racing for placings!
It's up to knelson if he wants to beat me in GTD. It doesn't matter to me if I "win" my age group or not. Thank you for the birthday wish, no matter whether it's months late or months early. We can continue to gridge it up in the SCY rankings for a while, and then the SCM/LCM rankings come around again in 2017. :cane:

jaadams1
January 4th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Thank you for the birthday wish, no matter whether it's months late or months early. We can continue to gridge it up in the SCY rankings for a while, and then the SCM/LCM rankings come around again in 2017. :cane:

OK!! See you in Indy! :cool:

???

knelson
January 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Wait, is this a thing? I refuse to participate in this particular thing.

Suit yourself, D-Jel.

orca1946
January 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
O K Now that IT'S JAN 2013. the flog still comes up in nov or dec 2012 & I need to change it to 2013.
Will it self correct soon?

matysekj
January 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM
O K Now that IT'S JAN 2013. the flog still comes up in nov or dec 2012 & I need to change it to 2013.
Will it self correct soon?

Oz, you are following a bad bookmark on your computer. If you go directly to the FLOG home page at http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/, you'll always get to the current month on your FLOG. Please update your bookmark to this URL.

jaadams1
January 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Suit yourself, D-Jel. I'm gonna have to start using this one. :)

ekw
January 5th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I'm gonna have to start using this one. :)

Your name doesn't lend itself well to this sort of scheme, alas.

E-Dub

That Guy
January 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM
i am SO winning this After eight days I have reached the Octocopeland Plateau. From this vantage point I can see the peak of Mount Decacopeland, into which I will cast the accursed pull buoy. It has been a strange journey, travelling exactly the same distance each day, the lidless eye of matysekj ever watchful, and pmccoy following me around muttering about his precious...

Rob Copeland
January 8th, 2013, 03:08 PM
After eight days I have reached the Octocopeland Plateau. From this vantage point I can see the peak of Mount Decacopeland, into which I will cast the accursed pull buoy. It has been a strange journey, travelling exactly the same distance each day, the lidless eye of matysekj ever watchful, and pmccoy following me around muttering about his precious...Dear (Insert name here)

Congratulations on almost completing your (enter amazing accomplishment here). Once you complete this truly amazing accomplishment, please complete the enclosed prize redemption form and send it off to ImaWhiner@Decacopeland.com your (list truly amazing award) will be in the mail shortly.

ekw
January 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM
After eight days I have reached the Octocopeland Plateau. From this vantage point I can see the peak of Mount Decacopeland, into which I will cast the accursed pull buoy. It has been a strange journey, travelling exactly the same distance each day, the lidless eye of matysekj ever watchful, and pmccoy following me around muttering about his precious...

One does not simply swim into Mordor?

Rob Copeland
January 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM
One does not simply swim into Mordor?Whilst you may not be able to swim into Mordor. Once you get there I suggest you check out the annual Lake Núrnen 10K swim.

ElaineK
January 8th, 2013, 05:54 PM
After eight days I have reached the Octocopeland Plateau. From this vantage point I can see the peak of Mount Decacopeland, into which I will cast the accursed pull buoy. It has been a strange journey, travelling exactly the same distance each day, the lidless eye of matysekj ever watchful, and pmccoy following me around muttering about his precious...

:D

Dear (Insert name here)

Congratulations on almost completing your (enter amazing accomplishment here). Once you complete this truly amazing accomplishment, please complete the enclosed prize redemption form and send it off to ImaWhiner@Decacopeland.com your (list truly amazing award) will be in the mail shortly.

:lmao:

:rofl:

:popcorn:

ElaineK
January 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Whilst you may not be able to swim into Mordor. Once you get there I suggest you check out the annual Lake Núrnen 10K swim.

Darn, this one slipped in past me, while I was entering my post. How about a belated Smilie? :applaud:

Allen Stark
January 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM

I don't think they tried.I'f Orks don't swim well it might be a better idea to try.

pmccoy
January 9th, 2013, 12:42 AM
... and pmccoy following me around muttering about his precious...You stoles it!

ekw
January 9th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I don't think they tried.I'f Orks don't swim well it might be a better idea to try.

You know, if Smeagol had stayed out of the water in the first place, it would have been a much shorter book. Granted, he was pushed (Or was he? Maybe he got in after the other guy. My memory is fuzzy.).

Also, it is apparently 1779 miles from Hobbiton to Mordor, which is 3,131,040 yards. To make one lap, it's another 1625 miles (2,860,000 yards) back to Bag End. Now that's a Going the Distance goal...

I'm sticking to my more modest goal.

Allen Stark
January 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU

That Guy
January 9th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Nonacopeland Base Camp looked nicer in the travel brochure.

ALM
January 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Nonacopeland Base Camp looked nicer in the travel brochure.

One day to go, right? We're all rooting for you. I hope you can make it to the top without supplemental oxygen.

swimshark
January 10th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Real-time isn't working for me, either. Still showing my last workout total, not including today's.

matysekj
January 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Real-time isn't working for me, either. Still showing my last workout total, not including today's.

The totals on the GTD page aren't real-time. Those pages get built just once a day, some time between 4 and 6 a.m. Anything you log today won't show up there until tomorrow.

That Guy
January 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
<ding> Quest Complete - I posted 4200 for the tenth day in a row and chucked pmccoy's pull buoy into fiery Mount Decacopeland. Ah, there's nothing like a highly questionable achievement to start the new year! :banana:

ourswimmer
January 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I couldn't find my total in the results until I realized that GTD has already aged me up.:cane:

pmccoy
January 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM
<ding> Quest Complete - I posted 4200 for the tenth day in a row and chucked pmccoy's pull buoy into fiery Mount Decacopeland. Ah, there's nothing like a highly questionable achievement to start the new year! :banana: Nooooo! Not our precious!

Next I recommend going after ekw's gold embroidered (and possibly slightly used) Turkey meet towel (http://www.usms.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=386&pictureid=2693). If this involves throwing my stuff into a fiery volcano, I still have some crusty old goggles and worn out Speedos I prefer to lose before my pull buoy.

Rob Copeland
January 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM
<ding> Quest Complete - I posted 4200 for the tenth day in a row and chucked pmccoy's pull buoy into fiery Mount Decacopeland. Ah, there's nothing like a highly questionable achievement to start the new year! :banana:Your accomplishment has recorded and the fulfillment office has been notified. Your award should be in the mail tomorrow.:applaud:

That Guy
January 10th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Your accomplishment has recorded and the fulfillment office has been notified. Your award should be in the mail tomorrow.:applaud:
:bliss:

jaadams1
January 10th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Your accomplishment has recorded and the fulfillment office has been notified. Your award should be in the mail tomorrow.:applaud:

Hopefully he can get it in time to be used for the meet this coming weekend. :D

orca1946
January 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM
HEY !!! the stupid thing [or me] date still comes up as dec 2012 --- How do I get it to stay on 2013???

ALM
January 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM

TG, we expect to see a photograph when your award arrives!

That Guy
January 18th, 2013, 10:10 PM
TG, we expect to see a photograph when your award arrives!

Today the prize truck backed into my driveway and delivered the goods! One Decacopeland Achievement Award certificate, one swim cap with an angry & fast turkey captioned "Catch Me If You Can!", one autographed pair of "The Fistglove Stroke Trainer" gloves (melted), one autographed Blue 70 full length suit (blown out), all contained within a Speedo FINA mesh bag! WOW! I mean on one hand, these are treasures, but on the other hand, I'd be a fool not to find out what I can get for the gloves and suit on Ebay, amirite? As Jayhawk requested, I have taken pictures. For positive proof of life of these items, I included a copy of The Fellowship Of The Ring that was published in 1965.
Thanks Rob!:chug:

ALM
January 19th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Congratulations! Is this what is known as "a major award?"

I love the "Insert school/class name" line on the certificate. That's a nice touch.

orca1946
January 19th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Got my mesh bag today. Thanks for putting the carrot/reward out there for me.

Couroboros
January 28th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I am not (yet) a registered member of USMS for 2013 because I have to do a bit of budgeting. I don't know if I will be with USMS at all this year.

One consequence of not being registered is that I can no longer access my FLOG. I don't mind that I can't make new entries for my 2013 workouts. However, it appears I cannot view the numbers that I accumulated for 2011 or 2012 on the FLOG. Is there a way, like some elusive URL I can type in or something, to find my FLOGs for past years?

Thanks.

tenmoreswims
January 29th, 2013, 07:51 PM
GTD listed my age wrong, they tacked on an extra year

matysekj
January 29th, 2013, 08:32 PM
GTD listed my age wrong, they tacked on an extra year
Your age for the GTD event is your age as of December 31 of the current year, similar to how ages are calculated for meters meets. This is so that people don't "age up" in the middle of the year.

Chris Stevenson
January 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Your age for the GTD event is your age as of December 31 of the current year, similar to how ages are calculated for meters meets. This is so that people don't "age up" in the middle of the year.

Club affiliation is different than this. For example in 2012 I spent the entire time registered for NCMS. I renewed my membership in Nov 2012 for the following year and registered for VMST. My GTD 2012 miles were immediately "credited" to VMST and the Virginia LMSC even though I wasn't registered for them at all that year. (A similar thing happened, but in reverse, the previous year.)

Not really a very big deal in the grand scheme of things but I thought I would point it out. :) The proper method would be to credit a club/LMSC/zone with the miles done while registered for that club/LMSC/zone but that's probably way more coding effort than it's worth.

Rob Copeland
January 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Not really a very big deal in the grand scheme of things but I thought I would point it out. :) The proper method would be to credit a club/LMSC/zone with the miles done while registered for that club/LMSC/zone but that's probably way more coding effort than it's worth.I don’t know… If ever I would leave my Georgia Masters, I’m taking my yards with me!:cane:

matysekj
January 30th, 2013, 03:20 PM
but that's probably way more coding effort than it's worth.

This. :whiteflag:

matysekj
January 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I am not (yet) a registered member of USMS for 2013 because I have to do a bit of budgeting. I don't know if I will be with USMS at all this year.

One consequence of not being registered is that I can no longer access my FLOG. I don't mind that I can't make new entries for my 2013 workouts. However, it appears I cannot view the numbers that I accumulated for 2011 or 2012 on the FLOG. Is there a way, like some elusive URL I can type in or something, to find my FLOGs for past years?

Thanks.

The public results pages for past years can be found at:

http://www.usms.org/fitness/results12/gtd12results.php
http://www.usms.org/fitness/results11/gtd11results.php
http://www.usms.org/fitness/results10/gtd10results.php
http://www.usms.org/fitness/results09/gtd09results.php
http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance08
http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance07

Your totals should be in there for any years you were entered in the event.