PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Hardy on Price is Right

Gydra
March 16th, 2012, 01:27 AM
So I realize I have to admit I watch this show (daily! I still miss Bob!) but... did anyone else see swimmer Jessica hardy on price is right??

An Olympic Showcase! - The Price Is Right - YouTube

Aside from them calling her "Olympic swimmer," and she isnt (yet) she sounded pretty cocky when she said she's "going to the games this summer." I realize that, unless something super crazy happens, she will be... but it just seemed really cocky from someone who generally has seemed pretty reserved. The whole segment seemed kind of awkward.

smontanaro
March 16th, 2012, 09:45 AM
There was an article about Ryan Lochte and the sponsorship/advertising issues involved with Olympic sports like swimming, which are here once every four years, then disappear from the public consciousness shortly after the Olympics are done. Aside from the occasional superstar like Michael Phelps or Lindsay Vonn (sp?), most Olympic athletes are not household names. Plus, there's no guarantee that people who look promising today will even make the Olympics (injury, poor performance, etc). Sponsors hedge their bets, signing many athletes (diversify their portfolio, probably paying out the heavy sponsor fees only if the athlete makes the team and does well) and featuring them in promotions before the Olympics. I saw an ad on TV a few days ago featuring Ryan Lochte, for example. Long story short, I wouldn't be surprised if Jessica Hardy's appearance on The Price is Right isn't part of that same sort of strategy.

knelson
March 16th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Aside from them calling her "Olympic swimmer," and she isnt (yet) she sounded pretty cocky when she said she's "going to the games this summer." I realize that, unless something super crazy happens, she will be

Like, for example, getting banned for doping.

Glenn
March 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Actually Jessica Hardy is an Olympic Swimmer. She made the team in '08. Yes, then she had the doping situation and was dropped from the team.

Because she made the team, she will always be considered an Olympian.

knelson
March 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'd say that one's highly debatable, Glenn. Should Floyd Landis still be considered a Tour de France champion?

Glenn
March 16th, 2012, 03:16 PM
OK, point taken.:bow:

lefty
March 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
So the big question: are the 1980 Qualifiers Olympians? Does the reason for not competing matter?

Allen Stark
March 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I wonder how excited the contestant really was to find that his big trip would be 4 days in beautiful Omaha?(I'd be excited,but would the average guy?)

knelson
March 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
So the big question: are the 1980 Qualifiers Olympians? Does the reason for not competing matter?

Yes, I think it does. The 1980 team members never had their eligibility to compete rescinded, they just didn't get the opportunity to compete due to the boycott.

Gydra
March 16th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Actually Jessica Hardy is an Olympic Swimmer. She made the team in '08. Yes, then she had the doping situation and was dropped from the team.

Because she made the team, she will always be considered an Olympian.

I think it can be taken literal... Olympic Swimmer would mean, you competed in the Olympics in swimming... Olympian would be named to the Olympic team (1980 folks) but Hardy i consider neither since she got dropped for doping

orca1946
March 18th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Too close to call in a war of words.
I like it that a swimmer made a show that millions ? watch & bring others to think about our sport.
I doubt that any non swimmer would remember the facts from back then.