PDA

View Full Version : abdominal surgery

tripswim
March 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
looking for feedback from someone who trains hard and competes who has undergone abdominal surgery regarding how you felt and trained during recovery.

many thanks

ts

pwb
March 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
looking for feedback from someone who trains hard and competes who has undergone abdominal surgery regarding how you felt and trained during recovery.

many thanks

tsA few years back I had the joy of hernia surgery. I scheduled it early in the summer (June-ish) and pretty much wrote most of the summer off as far as working out. I got back in the water late in August with the team and just set my sights on spring Nationals the following May in Austin. I think I swam one or two SCM meets that fall, but probably didn't get back into any sort of serious training until the new year. Certainly for about 6, maybe 8 weeks after the surgery, I had no desire to try to swim because of the sensitivity and the requirements of core usage in swimming. Hernia surgery, I imagine, is relatively gentle compared to some other things that can go awry in the midsection. Light at the end of the tunnel, though: my May of 08, I was swimming faster than I had ever swum as a Masters swimmer ... looking ahead to this spring, I expect to be even faster still.

Sojerz
March 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I had emergency appendectomy (ruptured and infected) with long scar because they didn't know what/where the problem was. This was in the middle of my freshman swimming season (mid-jan. back then). I had a drain for a few weeks after surgery and couldn't really walk standing up straight for a few months. I was in the best shape of my life b4, and it just kicked the crap out of me. I tried to get back into the water before the season ended (late feb.) and could hardly swim - the coach spotted me at one point and kicked me out the practice until further recovery. I started swimming again on my own later in the spring, but really not much until the summer. Did swim the next season just fine.

This was 1968 and hopefully the surgical procedures and recovery techniques today will help you get it going again. But, don't panic if it takes awhile and wish the best.

Look up the story of Jeff Farrell (?sp) US sprinter whose appendix ruptured jsut b4 trials. He swam at trials in a few days or a week - my hero.