PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do martial arts?

staff writer
March 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hi swimmers,

Bruce Lee has a famous quote about how martial arts require the practioner to "be water." Does anyone do martial arts, specifically karate, kung fu, taekwondo or tai chi? I'm writing a piece on the intersection between swimming and martial arts (kind of like the dancing and swimming piece from the last issue).

Thanks,

Laura

Rob Copeland
March 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I used to do Tae Kwon Do, but it was more as a family activity with my kids than a desire to be the next Kato. However, I found it to be wonderful for flexibility and strengthening the core. Great cross training for swimming.

Bruce Lee aquatic quote “Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

steph2kids
March 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM
My son also does Taekwondo, and I have found it to be excellent cross training for swimming. It is great for core strenthening, and it teaches how to focus the mind for a goal. And how to win or lose gracefully.

Couroboros
March 28th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I did Karate for about seven years when I was little, but I stopped when I was about 13. Just wasn't interested in it anymore at the time. Since I started swimming three years ago, though, I've always pondered the similarities between Karate and swimming. I don't know if I could identify any physiological or physical benefits Karate gave me for swimming, but there's a lot of mental stuff that could have a lot of "cross-over."

Fresnoid
March 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I've done karate and kickboxing as an adult. The training for both was a lot easier than NCAA D1 swimming.

I'm not a Black Belt, but both my daughters are. I help manage their dojo so if Staff Writer has specific questions, I may be able to answer them as an informed observer.

One big difference between swimming and martial arts: Swim meets award ribbons. Karate tournaments award trophies and plaques. All my swim ribbons can fit in one box while my girls have run out of floor, dresser and wall space in their rooms.

funkyfish
March 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I used to practice Wing Chun (or however you want to spell it) in high school and a few years beyond that. It seems like the arm drills/sparring would help develop sensitivity of force movement. It was also paired with some Kali stick fighting which was fun to do and cool to watch really skilled people do. We used to do what seemed like an eternity of chain punching vs. a partner, and that was good to get your heart rate up and shoulders burning. When the Ip Man movies with Donnie Yen were released I became interested in it again. It was fun.
:banana:

gull
March 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. My martial arts training intersected with swimming a couple of years ago when an age group coach called me out one day during practice. After one of his swimmers nearly dove on top of me, I asked him to give us a heads up before letting his kids jump in our lanes. He became agitated, said it wasn't his job, and asked me if I wanted to step outside. When I climbed on deck and motioned toward the door he shook his head and said he was too busy.

Paredes
March 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Wierd.. I quit Tae Kwon Do for swimming :P

Lui
March 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I used to do the same martial arts Bruce Lee used to do(Wing Chun) but after a while I realized it wasn't really my thing.