PDA

View Full Version : How to find a "certified" pool ?

SG1
March 31st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Does USMS make available a LIST of "certified" pools?

Michael Blatt
March 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM
I had a similar question in the original (TT) thread. The current answer seems to be that you're at the mercy of the way the pool is set up and measured for the meet you're attending.

I believe some governing bodies (USAS?) will "certify" a pool when it is built. I put "certify" in quotes because I'm not sure that's the term they use. When our town's pool was built a few years ago I am pretty sure that it had to meet this certification as part of the construction contract.

That said, there are things that happen to pools that make it necessary to measure before and during competitions. Some other posts in those other threads touched on various things that can happen that can change pool measurements (like ground settling, replacing worn tiles, putting pads in both ends, etc.).

It would be incredibly nice if you could have some certainty that the pool you are going to compete in will be in compliance with measurement (and measuring) requirements. But it sure seems like we are not to that point yet.

Chris Stevenson
March 31st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Does USMS make available a LIST of "certified" pools, so that a swimmer can use that information as part of a decision as to where to race ?

Yes (http://www.usms.org/~rectabs/poollengthdb.xls) (Excel file).

Certification refers to the initial measurements of all lanes; it only needs to be done once (and also if any structural modifications are made). If the competition course has a movable bulkhead, then measurements are needed to verify bulkhead placement.

All of this is done for you at meets sanctioned by USMS.

One caveat: USMS sanctioned meets CAN be held in pools that are too short, but the meet information must say that the results of the meet are not eligible for consideration for Top Ten or Records. (My LMSC actually will not issue sanctions for short pools; others might do the same.)