PDA

View Full Version : Knee Replacement

Ron Lockman
March 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM
7 weeks ago I had bi-lateral knee replacement. I took my first strokes in a pool yesterday. I`ve had chicken legs all my life, now they are really skinney and seem to just trail behind me. I`m a "total immersion devotee",..two beat kick.... Any good ideas on how to get back in the saddle?

Tuesday I will be at the La Jolla Cove with my therapist learning to descend and climb a stairway. Sure,.I could stair climb at the gym, but this trip is to boost my spirits and motivate me. Pain killers take almost as much as they give . Hopefully next week I`ll actually enter the water.

ViveBene
April 1st, 2012, 10:33 AM
I hope the rehab goes well!

While I can't address your question directly, I met a person climbing Mt. Washington, through snow fields, who had undergone bilateral knee replacement a few months earlier. Her surgeon was a bit surprised at her choice of rehab activity but gave her free rein.

I believe other swimmers have titanium joints and are not impeded by them in executing strokes or kicks. The initial post-surgery period is probably frustrating.

orca1946
April 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I have had the rt. hip replaced twice & worked on again last July. Each time ,I rehab dry land & in the pool to build up slowly. It will take time, but as you are already thinking about getting better/stronger, you will do fine. Try not to get too much too soon into the mix. Ask the Doc. what NOT to do & go from there. Good luck & keep at it, you will get back to where you were without the pain in the knee.

bulldog76
May 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
7 weeks ago I had bi-lateral knee replacement. I took my first strokes in a pool yesterday. I`ve had chicken legs all my life, now they are really skinney and seem to just trail behind me. I`m a "total immersion devotee",..two beat kick.... Any good ideas on how to get back in the saddle?

Tuesday I will be at the La Jolla Cove with my therapist learning to descend and climb a stairway. Sure,.I could stair climb at the gym, but this trip is to boost my spirits and motivate me. Pain killers take almost as much as they give . Hopefully next week I`ll actually enter the water.

I had both knees replaced 6 and 5 years ago 8 months apart. One of the best things for getting me to zero degrees extension I believe was kicking in the pool. I am a TI Coach now and have been a swim coach for the past 30+ years. Kicking is not necessarily a bad word and is helpful. Yes for most all of my swimming I do the 2 beat kick, but occasionally will go to a 6 beat for speed work at high tempo's and do kick-sets when the master's team is doing them although I have always been a terrible kicker even back to my age group days. What I found more helpful in building my legs (quads) back up was bicycle riding and doing deadlifts (no squat machines or leg extension machines). Kicking alone will not build leg muscle. Good luck on your recovery.