PDA

View Full Version : Getting used to salt water?

jefflynn
April 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
I am gradually increasing my long swim distances from 2.5 miles now to 5-6 miles before my first 10K event in October. I am also now training mostly in salt water for the first time.

Two questions about spending longer times in salt water.

First, any ideas other than the obvious of trying to not take as much water in my mouth as I am used to doing in a pool or fresh water while breathing/exhaling? I'm getting a bit better at this, pursing my lips more on the exhale and taking in less salt water.

More importantly, the salt water is now chafing me noticeably under my arms. Do products like BodyGlide or similar stay on in the water during long swims?

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Rob Copeland
April 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Vaseline works well for chafing or in longer/colder swims I use a 50/50 mix of Vaseline and lanolin. A moderate coating in the arm pits should help. For longer races you might also apply it to your neck, turning your head to breath also causes chafing.

As for drinking salt water, it is inevitable. Bring a bottle of water to rinse after your swims.

swimthegoodfight
April 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
desitin, for baby rash, works well and is water resistant - doubles as a sunblock... think america's cup skipper dennis connor.

it is zinc oxide and you'll likely get the goo on a few items

jefflynn
April 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks Rob and William

orca1946
April 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Vaseline is cheaper!!

Mallory Mead
April 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Also, if you are having issues with swelling in your mouth and throat from the salt exposure, try rinsing with diluted mouthwash during (if you have a support vessel) and/or after your swim. This will help bring the swelling down.

rxleakem
April 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Vaseline is cheaper!!

I applied this with a plastic sandwich bag before a 10k last year. Do your best not to get whatever you choose on your goggles.