Does anyone know this watch?Forerunner® 910XT: Swim metrics - YouTube

And what is your impression?

Why Not
April 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Have you red this review?
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

Jazz Hands
April 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM
The places I swim at have clocks on the walls.

Lui
April 7th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Have you red this review?
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

Thanks. Pretty good review.

That's like asking what someone's impression of an IPhone is and getting the answer "in my neighborhood they have telephone booths":D

jaadams1
April 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM

I'll have to go with Jazz Hands on this one!! For pool swimmers, we have clocks on the walls, and it's not that hard to remember how much yardage I've completed as well.
I always see these guys in the pool at lap swim that "time" their swims with a watch. I'm not sure why when there's a huge pace clock hanging on the wall.

Maybe for OW, this would be a good purchase, but if you're not doing OW swimming, or tri-training with the biking and "who knows why" running part, then I think this would be a waste of money.

That Guy
April 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I always see these guys in the pool at lap swim that "time" their swims with a watch. I'm not sure why when there's a huge pace clock hanging on the wall.

perhaps they are nearsighted.

Lui
April 8th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Maybe for OW, this would be a good purchase, but if you're not doing OW swimming, or tri-training with the biking and "who knows why" running part, then I think this would be a waste of money.

Normally I'm not a tech guy so I'm with you guys if we talk about how necessary this watch is.
I also do road cycling though but I either use my cheap Sigma bike computer (for about 15 bucks) or don't use anything.
I recently discovered a free app for my HTC Desire called Endomondo and I thought it was pretty cool to see your exact route, distance, av. speed, fastest speed, etc. on your computer afterwards and got curious about GPS computers for cycling.
That's how I discovered the Garmin and when I heard it was supposed to count and time laps I was curious if anyone has any experience with it, how precise it is and what the overall impression is.

At the pool I usually just use the stop watch function of my timex, the pool clock or neither.

aztimm
April 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Normally I'm not a tech guy so I'm with you guys if we talk about how necessary this watch is.
I also do road cycling though but I either use my cheap Sigma bike computer (for about 15 bucks) or don't use anything.
I recently discovered a free app for my HTC Desire called Endomondo and I thought it was pretty cool to see your exact route, distance, av. speed, fastest speed, etc. on your computer afterwards and got curious about GPS computers for cycling.
That's how I discovered the Garmin and when I heard it was supposed to count and time laps I was curious if anyone has any experience with it, how precise it is and what the overall impression is.

At the pool I usually just use the stop watch function of my timex, the pool clock or neither.

If you just want something to track your cycling, this would probably do a better job and would give you a better display:
Garmin Edge 500
If you have the money, there's many others, some have maps going that show your position. Or you can use one of many iPhone apps...but just make sure you mount your iPhone well.

I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use for running & cycling and it gets the job done. I don't do enough open water swimming to make a GPS worthwhile; but I know several people who do.

There's enough pools I visit where there either isn't a pace clock, it is broken, only visible from one side, etc that I carry a stopwatch (in a Ziploc freezer bag) in my swim bag. I've been burned too many times relying on a clock being at a pool.

Lui
April 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM
If you have the money, there's many others, some have maps going that show your position. Or you can use one of many iPhone apps...but just make sure you mount your iPhone well.

Actually I'm quite pleased with my free app Endomondo for my HTC phone and don't want to spend any extra money because it's good enough. I ordered a specific bike holder for my HTC phone(I missed the DHL guy yesterday and have to wait till Tuesday..argh). The fascination of Endomondo just led me to check out what else there is and I was surprised to find a watch that's supposed to count and time laps. If anybody here had experience with that watch I would have been curious how well it works.

There's enough pools I visit where there either isn't a pace clock, it is broken, only visible from one side, etc that I carry a stopwatch (in a Ziploc freezer bag) in my swim bag. I've been burned too many times relying on a clock being at a pool.

That's why I have a Timex. It's cheap, works fine and I just use the simple stop watch function. Often my pool doesn't have a clock wall or doesn't work. There were several swimming watch threads on here so I guess quite a few people use watches.

lefty
April 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I carry around a TIMEX too, because most 24 hour fitness gyms I have been to do not have a working clock (and) I joined lifetime fitness becuase of the digital pace clocks.

The Garmin 910: yes it works pretty well but I am tired of seeing my tri friends push off the wall with their hand on the start button to the detriment of their stream line when there IS a perfectly good pace clock on the wall.

If I am swimming a 1000 I want to know when my stroke count goes from 13 to 14 per lap so that can try and correct it at that time. The same thing goes with my pace. If I am getting slower, I want to know at that time and make adjustments. The data is so much more valuable if you can utilize it real time. So I guess think that the watch data, while accurate, isn't particularily useful.

Lui
April 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
If I am swimming a 1000 I want to know when my stroke count goes from 13 to 14 per lap so that can try and correct it at that time. The same thing goes with my pace. If I am getting slower, I want to know at that time and make adjustments. The data is so much more valuable if you can utilize it real time. So I guess think that the watch data, while accurate, isn't particularily useful.

So basically to sum it up I guess that no one really sees any benefit of such an expensive watch. I train at the 25 yard pool of a gym as well that doesn't have a pace clock which is the only reason I use my Timex but we're speaking about a watch for a couple of bucks compared to a 400$ watch.