PDA

View Full Version : Broken pace clock

gobears
April 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM
FYI - went to the gym pool today with a challenging interval set and realized the pace clock wasn't working. I don't have a waterproof watch right now so I got on my iPhone (with its waterproof case) and downloaded a free pace clock app. Much easier to see at the end of my lane than my digital watch. Thought I'd pass this info along in case you find yourself in a similar situation!

smontanaro
April 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Cool. What app?

S

gobears
April 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just called "Pace Clock" by Peter DeWeese. Black background with 3/4 inch neon green numerals (minutes/seconds) that sync to the current time. Really sweet! Have to remember to turn off your auto-lock function while using, though. Hardly used any battery life during my 75 minute swim.

smontanaro
April 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I have an Android phone and searched using a number of different terms. Oddly enough, I've not found one with a countdown/repeat function.

Also, aren't you worried that your iPhone will grow legs when you're not looking?

S

Chris Stevenson
April 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
aren't you worried that your iPhone will grow legs when you're not looking?

I'm not sure the Apple app store ecosystem is quite that advanced yet.

jaadams1
April 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM
My phone does phone calls, can text for addtn'l money, and can take pics of my kids. That's it. :applaud: I'll just stick with the big pace clock, and 99.9% of the time, one of the two will be working. :)

gobears
April 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Also, aren't you worried that your iPhone will grow legs when you're not looking?

S

:) Yes - I did camouflage the phone in my mesh bag with stuff all around it so it wasn't easily visible to anyone but me.

jswim
April 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Great idea, thanks for sharing!

Phillip Luebke
July 19th, 2013, 04:13 AM
I know there's an app for everything, but I may have another option for you. My company has just introduced the PaceWatch, a personal pace clock that's wearable. You can use my PaceWatch at either end of the pool (or even the middle, if you want) and you don't have to worry about it getting stolen or water damaged. Here is the launch announcement, if you're interested:

BOZEMAN, MONT., July 15, 2013 -- Interval training is a key component of an effective swimming workout. For over 50 years, a pace clock has been the primary tool used by swimmers for interval training. But for swimmers who are among the 33% of the U.S. population with myopia, or nearsightedness, simply seeing the pace clock can be a challenge. That’s where the PaceWatch™ comes in. Created by Brilliant Swim™, a startup based in Bozeman, Montana, the PaceWatch takes the classic pace clock that’s as familiar to swimmers as the ever-present scent of chlorine on their skin, and makes it readily accessible and easy-to-read.

“We created the PaceWatch to solve a problem that I had as a near-sighted masters swimmer,” said Brilliant Swim founder Phillip Luebke, 42. “The lane I practice in at our local pool is about 30 to 40 feet from the nearest pace clock. My eyesight’s not too bad, but I used to have to take my goggles off, then stare-and-squint to make out the moving hand on the clock. Not anymore. With the PaceWatch, I simply synchronize it at the beginning of practice and then I have my own personal pace clock to use throughout practice.”

True to the design of the original swimming pace clock, which was invented by the late, legendary swimming coach James “Doc” Counsilman in 1959, the PaceWatch is simple and uncluttered, with no unnecessary features to distract from its primary function. It has a red second hand, a black minute hand and high-contrast black and red markings on an oversized white dial. To hold up in the harsh pool environment, the case is constructed of marine-grade stainless steel and is water-resistant to a depth of 50 meters (5 ATM).

But the most important feature of the PaceWatch, according to Luebke, is its slim profile. At 7.5 mm, the PaceWatch is slimmer than any of the water-resistant sport watches currently on the market.

“What we found in our preliminary research is that swimmers hate wearing bulky watches when they swim, and all the multifunction sports watches out there are bulky,” said Luebke. “Even the ones that are supposedly designed for swimmers are not very hydrodynamic. We wanted to make the PaceWatch as slim as possible.”

The PaceWatch retails for $74.99. Brilliant Swim is now accepting preorders on its website, brilliantswim.com (http://brilliantswim.com/?source=PWPR). The company expects to begin shipping product in September 2013.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0237/2897/products/IMG_6269_medium.jpg?568
Photo of the PaceWatch from Brilliant Swim
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0237/2897/files/Doc_and_clock_medium.jpg?570
Photo of James "Doc" Counsilman and his invention, the pace clock, circa 1961. Photo courtesy: Indiana University Archives (P0022979)

Redbird Alum
July 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I have a portable (battery powered) clock about the size of a carry-on that looks very much like the watch, only bigger. A Benefit to such, people realize you are serious when you have one at the end of your lane, so somefolks shy off and others ask to join in.

orca1946
July 20th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Cool watch as long as the person wearing it does not swing their arm out to the side & hit me --- like some A$$holes in my lane!
Last year I grabbed his arm & loudly stated that I would rip that piece of crap off his arm if he hit me with it again ! OK RANT OVER.