PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard restrictions???

TPollowy
April 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I have always been a pool swimmer but...my family just booked a vacation on Ocean Isle Beach, NC this August. OIB is one of a string of barrier islands that look to be anywhere from 500-700 yards apart. Got me thinking about trying a little open water swimming (with my wife or teenage daughter in a kayak next to me!). I was wondering if there are Coast Guard or other such restrictions I need to be aware of? For instance, I know we are supposed to have a red & white "diver down" flag on a buoy when snorkeling off the beach. Any suggestions where I can get more info? Thanks!

swimthegoodfight
April 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
more simple to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. if you see coast guard traffic, you ought to stick to your beachfront.

use extreme caution - be aware of boat channels for recreational boaters and anglers - i presume you will not be in, or proximate to, commercial ship channels

certain landmarks / entities represent potential and exposures to terrorist activities, e.g. bridges, power plants... probably ought to know something about the islands you are swimming to, e.g. bird rookeries, sea turtle nestings, parks and sanctuaries

happy swimmin'

orca1946
April 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I think that this would be fine with only 5 - 700 yards between them. Ask some locals. With a boat/kayak with you that is more than a lot us of have when in open water at short distances, Good luck & have fun.