PDA

View Full Version : Competing in USAS meets?

reachhigher
April 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Sorry, I feel sure this must already have been discussed, but I can't find a previous thread addressing this easily. I'm a Pac Masters swimmer who is getting back into the swing of things after a couple years away from the water. Unfortunately, our next (non-open water) meet after today's meet in San Jose is in August. I would ideally like to swim one meet per month between now and then.

It seems as though the best way to do this is to join USAS and swim in their A/B/C meets here in the Bay Area if it is permissible to do so. (I am 26.) Is this permissible? Does anyone here do this? Thanks in advance.

jaadams1
April 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM
"Is this permissable"

Yes it is. I'm swimming a USA-S meet up here in eastern Washington tomorrow. All you have to do is register with the local LSC as "unattached", unless you affiliate yourself with a team. Then just send in your entries like all the other teams do and go have fun. Team Manager Lite (can be found online) is a good way to do your entries for the USAS meets.

Couroboros
April 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hi! I'm 23 and I do it all the time. I'm in a USAS LCM meet this weekend as a matter of fact. I'm from the Bay Area, too (San Jose, to be exact). There are all sorts meets coming up all summer. You can find a ton on ome.swimconnection.com.

reachhigher
April 21st, 2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks to both of you for the quick, helpful response. One follow-up question. I see this in the meet sheets for the USAS meets:

UNACCOMPANIED SWIMMERS: Any USA-S athlete-member competing at the meet must be accompanied by a USA Swimming member-coach for the purposes of athlete supervision during warm-up, competition and warm-down. If a coach-member of the athlete’s USA-S Club does not attend the meet to serve in said supervisory capacity, it is the responsibility of the swimmer or the swimmer’s legal guardian to arrange for supervision by a USA Swimming member-coach. The Meet Director or Meet Referee may assist the swimmer in making arrangements for such supervision; however, it is recommended that such arrangements be made in advance of the meet by the athlete’s USAS Club Member-Coach.

What do you all do about this? Do you actually have a USAS coach, or do they not bother you about this?

pwb
April 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM
What do you all do about this? Do you actually have a USAS coach, or do they not bother you about this?No one's ever asked. I wouldn't worry about it. You do need to get yourself registered with USAS, but that's just a matter of $$ and paperwork.

swimshark
April 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM
I'm 41 and swim in USA-S meets. I am registered with and practice with a USA-S team so I just submit my entry with my coach. Enjoy!

slowcat
April 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks to both of you for the quick, helpful response. One follow-up question. I see this in the meet sheets for the USAS meets:

What do you all do about this? Do you actually have a USAS coach, or do they not bother you about this?

I have dual swimmer-citizenship as well. When I enter meets as UNAT, the USAS team usually offers up one or asks who my coach will be. Thankfully, I know a few people and it's usually not a problem. One team gave me a hard time about not having a coach and I withdrew my entry.
I know it's all legal stuff, but I don't know why a 30+ year old can't just sign away their life if they want. USMS meet entry forms have waivers releasing the host from most if not all liabilities. No coaches are needed to swim in a meet. USAS should be able to do the same.

swimshark
April 23rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
I know it's all legal stuff, but I don't know why a 30+ year old can't just sign away their life if they want. USMS meet entry forms have waivers releasing the host from most if not all liabilities. No coaches are needed to swim in a meet. USAS should be able to do the same.

Because with USMS there aren't the predators that are showing up in USA-S. They want all, even adults, to be accounted for on deck.