PDA

View Full Version : 2013 nationals

debgort
April 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Here is the link to the news release. 2013 is in Indianapolis.
http://www.usms.org/news/newsitem.php?PrintMe=1&n=69

orca1946
April 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Our team is planning on going to this one !!!!!!!!!:dj_dance:

tjrpatt
April 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM
This pool is the business. two Warmdown pools and alot of locker room unlike some facilities! Downtown Indy is great too.

jaadams1
April 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I'll try for this one, but it all depends on time off from work/flight costs/and hotels. $1 menu has me covered for food. :applaud:

knelson
May 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM
I went to short course Nationals in 2004 last time they were at IUPUI. Me and a friend stayed in the hotel that is sort of connected to the pool. I think it's the University Place Hotel. My recollection was that it wasn't exactly cheap, but definitely convenient. If you want to stay in the downtown area hotels aren't going to be cheap. On the other hand, I'm sure cheaper options exist a little farther out, but would most likely require a rental car. Staying in downtown Indy is the way to go if you can afford it because you can walk to the pool and to lots of bars and restaurants.

jaadams1
May 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM
I went to short course Nationals in 2004 last time they were at IUPUI. Me and a friend stayed in the hotel that is sort of connected to the pool. I think it's the University Place Hotel. My recollection was that it wasn't exactly cheap, but definitely convenient. If you want to stay in the downtown area hotels aren't going to be cheap. On the other hand, I'm sure cheaper options exist a little farther out, but would most likely require a rental car. Staying in downtown Indy is the way to go if you can afford it because you can walk to the pool and to lots of bars and restaurants.

Thanks! I'll try to remember this. The rental car can suck for $$$$ some times...especially with the insurance that they "make" you get. If you don't get it, and wreck the car, you can be out a lot more! :afraid:

knelson
May 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM
If you don't get it, and wreck the car, you can be out a lot more! :afraid:

Check with your insurance company. Many times you're already covered for rentals and there's no need to buy their insurance. I never get it.

orca1946
May 1st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Agreed - great pools & warm up area. I swam Nats. there in 1998 and tell others about the fun time I had.

tjrpatt
May 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Check with your insurance company. Many times you're already covered for rentals and there's no need to buy their insurance. I never get it.

I rented from Dollar last week and they wouldn't take my insurance. I had to buy theirs. When I rented from others, I could choose theirs and my own policy. Also, I miss the Sirius Radio. :(

knelson
May 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I rented from Dollar last week and they wouldn't take my insurance.

I don't know what this means. It's not really up to them, It's up to your insurance company. Your policy is either going to cover rental cars or it's not. If your insurance covers it simply decline the rental company's insurance.

The Fortress
May 2nd, 2012, 10:48 AM

Yeah, I never get it either.

I had a great time at LCM Nats at Indy in 2009. The downtown hotels are pricey, but they are still very close to the pool and makes dinner/food easy.

Anyone know where I can find the rotating order of events for this meet?

Chris Stevenson
May 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone know where I can find the rotating order of events for this meet?

In the rule book, page 30

http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

The host can ask the Championship Committee to change the event order if they have a good reason; for example, I think Mission Viejo is doing this. It's sad (since I'm an ex officio member of the committee) but I don't remember if Indy has done this. The meeting minutes should have that info.

Allen Stark
May 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
I never get the extra insurance.Some companies are gracious about that and some try to scare or intimidate me into getting it.I swim the 200 BR and the 200 fly so I don't intimidate easily.
I stayed at the University Place in 2009 and didn't need a rental car.
Indy really knows how to run a meet well.

aquageek
May 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
In the rule book, page 30

http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

The host can ask the Championship Committee to change the event order if they have a good reason; for example, I think Mission Viejo is doing this. It's sad (since I'm an ex officio member of the committee) but I don't remember if Indy has done this. The meeting minutes should have that info.
Any idea why the 1000 is always before the 1650? I'd like to see that alternated.

And, yes, that is an official distance-swimmer whine, book it!

aquajock
May 3rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
And Long Course is in Mission Viejo. Yea for sunshine and fresh air!!

Chris Stevenson
May 3rd, 2012, 04:58 AM
Any idea why the 1000 is always before the 1650? I'd like to see that alternated.

No idea...tradition? I'll ask.

If you were going to do both, would you have a preference on the order? Personally I guess I'd rather do the mile first, makes the 1000 seem like a sprint by comparison.

mpmartin
May 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM

I spoke to my insurance company and they told me that my coverage will cover a rental car, but if you wreck the car the rental car company WILL charge you for all the days they cannot rent that car. Something to consider...

jroddin
May 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM

The default is for the shorter distance event to go first. However, meet directors may swap the order. For Omaha, the 1500 is first.

aquageek
May 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
No idea...tradition? I'll ask.

If you were going to do both, would you have a preference on the order? Personally I guess I'd rather do the mile first, makes the 1000 seem like a sprint by comparison.
I agree. Doing the 1650 at the beginning of a meet makes everything else more bearable, with the exception of the 200, which is awful always.

rxleakem
May 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'm off that weekend. Perhaps my first nats? :bouncing:

hwern
May 5th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I have seen two different dates for Indianapolis - last week in April or May 9-12. Which is correct? The minutes from last year state April but the link above announces it is in May. Thanks

MPohlmann
May 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM
The flyers distributed at Spring Nationals in Greensboro say May 9-12, 2013 for Spring Nationals in Indianapolis.

jaadams1
May 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM
The bigger question: Which day will each group (male/female) swim the 500s?

orca1946
May 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I think they fall on Mother's day ???:bad day: or:D

orca1946
September 3rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
O K one more motor cycle trip & eating then it's back to the gym & more serious swimming to think about 2013 spring nats!

jaadams1
September 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM
2013 SCY lineup is now posted (tentative)
http://www.usms.org/comp/meetevents.php?MeetID=20130509NATLY

Awesome lineup this year (IMO) for us distance/middle d guys

For me:
Thurs: 1650
Friday: 400 IM, 200 Free, 200 Fly
Saturday: 500 Free (and maybe 100 Free 6th event) and airport home by lunchtime
:banana:

MPohlmann
September 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I thought I'd share my experience with trying to make hotel reservations for 2013 Nationals. The hotel information is posted now at http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats13/hotels.pdf. The rates for the Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites and Courtyard Downtown are for one person in the room, per night. If you try to book either of these with 2 persons in the room the rate increases $10 per night. The Fairfield and Springhill online registration only allows you to get the group rate for one night, but you can get longer stays at the group rate by making a phone call, still $10 more if you have more than one person in the room. The least expensive rate online for Embassy Suites with or without our code was $179 unless you go advanced purchase. Perhaps calling would be different. All the listed hotels have fees for parking - $23 per night for Fairfield, Springhill and Courtyard Downtown, $19 per night for Courtyard Canal (at the Capitol) and Residence Inn Canal, $28 per night at JW Marriott and $22 per night at Embassy Suites. Breakfast is included at Embassy Suites, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, and Residence Inn Canal.

aquageek
September 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
2013 SCY lineup is now posted (tentative)
http://www.usms.org/comp/meetevents.php?MeetID=20130509NATLY

Awesome lineup this year (IMO) for us distance/middle d guys

For me:
Thurs: 1650
Friday: 400 IM, 200 Free, 200 Fly
Saturday: 500 Free (and maybe 100 Free 6th event) and airport home by lunchtime
:banana:

Is it just me or are the QTs substantially easier for 2013? I guess the tech suit bubble is bursting.

jaadams1
September 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Is it just me or are the QTs substantially easier for 2013? I guess the tech suit bubble is bursting.

I thought it was because I aged up to 35! :bolt:

aquageek
September 17th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I thought it was because I aged up to 35! :bolt:

I aged up also but, for example, the 1650 is 8 seconds slower than Greensboro.

ElaineK
September 17th, 2012, 02:50 PM

It's you- possibly. I still have the pdf for 2012 NQT's and all three of the women's 50-54 breaststroke events have faster qualifying times than last year. :badday:
In my age group, the 1650 has a qualifying time that is 7 seconds faster than Greensboro! :afraid:

ElaineK
September 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
So, who's going to Indy? I wasn't sure we could squeeze it into our travel budget, but my husband is encouraging me to go. :angel: I haven't decided for sure, but I do have a hotel room reserved, just in case. :D

rxleakem
September 17th, 2012, 10:40 PM
So, who's going to Indy?

http://www.catmine.com/pix/hanging_on_the_fence.jpg

orca1946
November 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I & our team are planning to go in force.
We will have a "killer" 65 mixed relay!!!

orca1946
November 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I just posted nat dates to my motorcycle buddies so that the spring trip will not temp me to blow off Nats !!

ekw
November 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Indianapolis is also the location of the Association of College and Research Libraries conference about a month earlier. Librarians, being helpful people, have put together a list with information about music and theater in downtown Indianapolis that may be of interest if you are planning to do some sightseeing, etc., during your time at nationals. It is available here: http://crln.acrl.org/content/73/10/601.full

orca1946
November 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
ekw - thanx for other thing to look forward to doing.

Bobinator
November 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I worked out @ the Natatorium Friday night. All the pools up in my end of Indy were broken or shut down. I had to swim between the bulkheads due to a couple college teams in the rest of the pool. The water really felt warm.....yuk. I thought the Nat always kept the water @ 78 degrees. Other than that it was a great swim.
Oh, they have a big, new parking garage adjacent to the old one. For some reason I didn't have to pay to park. I'm really looking forward to Nationals!

orca1946
November 26th, 2012, 12:46 AM
What hotels :bed::anim_coffee:are some of you staying in ?

ddskier63
November 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM
What hotels :bed::anim_coffee:are some of you staying in ?

Fairfield Inn.:applaud:

orca1946
November 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Fairfield Inn - - cost ? how far from the pool ? free parking ?
Thanks for answers!

ddskier63
November 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for answers!

The Fairfield Inn is located about 1/2 mile from the swim venue at a cost of $95.00/night. Unsure about parking fees. I haven't committed to renting a car so I did not do my homework on that part of my travel plans.

MPohlmann
November 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM
When I tried to book the Fairfield for 2 people, the price was $105. I was told the $95 was for one person only. I contacted Mel Goldstein and he said he would look into it, but I don't know if the rate specifications have been corrected. The parking rate is $23 per night.

I am staying out on I-465 and Rockville Rd at the Comfort Inn and Suites. If you have a car, it's still convenient, only about 10 minutes to the pool and free parking at the hotel. Parking at the Natatorium will be a lot cheaper than $23 per night.

jroddin
November 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for answers!

Your answers can be found in the Hotel link Mary Pohlmann posted earlier. The Hotel info is on the meet page:
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats13/

Jeff

tpost2
December 2nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Parking at the Natatorium will be a lot cheaper than $23 per night.

How much is parking at the natatorium?

orca1946
December 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
I can't find the cost of parking at the pool. How much are city lots very near the pool or hotels for driving into downtown to visit friends that stay in town?

MPohlmann
December 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
In an email from Mel Goldstein to me last month he said: "Once the entry information goes online, we will be offering a parking pass at the IU Natatorium for $40 for all 5 days...You will have the parking pass in your hands prior to the meet..."

Allen Stark
December 4th, 2012, 01:29 AM
In 2009 we stayed at University Place.Is that no longer an option?
Will there be shuttles to the pool?

pwb
December 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
With all this talk about shuttles and reasonably priced hotels, I see a great revenue opportunity here for USMS and IUPUI. Looking at Google earth, there is a big grassy field right next to the pool and then a nice track and soccer stadium. The weather should be nice enough that we could set up a little "Swimmers Occupy IUPUI" with tents and tailgates. :

Cordon off the field and the stadium into 10' x 10' (or luxury 20' x 20') squares
Sell weekend 'camping' access for a reasonable fee (e.g., I typically spend $5 to $20 per night at campgrounds in AZ)
Throw a few port-a-potties out there, but keep the natatorium open throughout the night for access to bathrooms
Heavily promote the gold medal sponsorship to all tenters as a way to keep their costs down
Go even bigger by taking the Mesa Nationals idea of buying shade and sell fully-setup tent sites (e.g., tent, cot, sleeping bad, pillow) for an incremental fee (but still less than a hotel room)

Think of the benefits:

USMS / IUPUI = a little more dough in their pockets / whoever makes money off these events
Swimmers =

Intense camaraderie
No need to worry about shuttles or rental cars
Extra sleep thanks to no commuting
Save $$

orca1946
December 4th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Thanx for the parking pass info. That might make up my mind as to where to stay.

tpost2
December 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM
"Swimmers Occupy IUPUI" with tents and tailgates.

Love the occupy idea! Enjoying the flashback to my youth of camping with the family in Grandpa's old army tent... sleeping on a pool air mattress and struggling to keep it inflated for a whole night but inevitably ending up flat on the cold hard ground the next morning.... back pain for days :cane:.... on second thought, I'll fork over the dough for a good night's sleep :bed:!

However, I strongly encourage the competition to take advantage of the opportunity :D

pwb
December 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Love the occupy idea! Enjoying the flashback to my youth of camping with the family in Grandpa's old army tent... sleeping on a pool air mattress and struggling to keep it inflated for a whole night but inevitably ending up flat on the cold hard ground the next morning.... back pain for days :cane:.... on second thought, I'll fork over the dough for a good night's sleep :bed:!Air mattresses? That's fancy-pants-camping ;)

.... on second thought, I'll fork over the dough for a good night's sleep :bed:! However, I strongly encourage the competition to take advantage of the opportunity :DAbsolutely. I'm already booked at the Residence Inn at the Canal: it's walking distance to the pool (well, not for sprinters) so I don't need to worry about cars or parking passes and has a great breakfast. But, I agree with you and suggest that all other 45-49 year old men should stay at the Occupy IUPUI campground, should that be built.

knelson
December 6th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Will there be a luxury yurt option in the "Occupy" campground?

ekw
December 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Will there be a luxury yurt option in the "Occupy" campground?

Glamping (http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/travel/14green-1.html), as it were.

orca1946
December 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
What are the prices at the Residence Inn? Do they charge a fee for parking?

pedergraham
December 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
What are the prices at the Residence Inn? Do they charge a fee for parking?

I can't remember the prices off the top of my head, but there is about a $20/day parking fee. I chose this hotel because they had some great reviews, especially from people who had stayed their during other sporting events, like the marathon.

pedergraham
December 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Oh, and because I might have my dog with me!

aguins
December 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I got the downtown Westin on hotwire for $89!

aguins
December 9th, 2012, 12:29 AM
It is 2nd from the top once you put in your dates. It says "Downtown" and is marked with 4 stars.

orca1946
December 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Can you cancel from Hotwire if you change your mind ?

aguins
December 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Generally not....unless you are a frequent user of hotwire. They have let me cancel once or twice but I am a very frequent hotwire user.

orca1946
December 19th, 2012, 06:04 PM
O K Hotwire will be out. I'm still not committed to doing nats at Indy, so I am holding out for a while on hotels.

SwimTotoSwim
December 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Anyone know the meet layout for the 2013 LCM national in CA ? We are starting to look at next summers travel.

jroddin
January 2nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Anyone know the meet layout for the 2013 LCM national in CA ? We are starting to look at next summers travel.

The Mission Viejo Order of Events can be found on page 4 of these Minutes:
http://www.usms.org/admin/minutes/champ-2012-7-5-1.pdf

They should be posted officially on the Nationals page sometime this month:
http://www.usms.org/comp/nationals.php?utm_campaign=top_nav&utm_medium=events_and_results

Jeff

ekw
January 10th, 2013, 11:10 AM
One more librarian-compiled guide to stuff to do around Indianapolis (site of a major library conference about a month before Nationals), though those of us who do run and bike might not be doing it during
Nationals:

Gotta run? (Or bike or walk?) A guide to Indy's byways
http://crln.acrl.org/content/74/1/38.full

orca1946
January 11th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I'm on hold ----- still for a hotel .

orca1946
January 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM
When can we sign up & enter? Also , what is the last date deadline for entering?

barryf
January 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
When can we sign up & enter? Also , what is the last date deadline for entering?

You can download the mail-in form from: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats13/meetsheet.pdf
Online entries should be available soon. I think they are a little behind due to the website redesign. Details about the meet are on page 34 of the Jan-Feb Swimmer magazine, see: http://www.usms.org/myusms/mag/index.php
The entry deadline is April 4, 2013.

jroddin
January 22nd, 2013, 08:42 AM

Historically the short course Nationals online entry system opens around February 1. For Indy it is expected to be available in just a matter of days.

Jeff

aguins
January 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
They certainly know how to run a nice, organized meet there! Great pool, of course!

orca1946
January 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Thanx for the entry info.

jaadams1
January 29th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Historically the short course Nationals online entry system opens around February 1. For Indy it is expected to be available in just a matter of days.

Jeff

Online entry is now available. I happened to check and it was there! I'm already signed up...see you all there!

orca1946
January 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
O K ! Now the pressure is on as to going with a sore foot & shoulder this year.
I Qual. for 2 & have 3 others in mind.
Make up your mind you fat old man !!!!

Celestial
February 1st, 2013, 02:18 PM
orca, we don't like it when you say nasty things about our frens! I'd leave out the fly if your shoulder is lame!

orca1946
February 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
HA HA HA HA !! You made me laugh ! I always beat others to the punch when they ask how are you.
I reply " I'm ok for an old , fat man with a twice replaced hip !!" Now what can they say ??

Britt03
February 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM
anybody remember how long the 2012 spring nationals went on Sunday night?
I am checking on flights (airtran and southwest have a super sale until 11.59pm tomorrow) and since I already missed the 200 IM in Omaha so I could catch the last flight out that night, I would prefer to plan ahead a little better this time.
Anyone?

orca1946
February 7th, 2013, 05:39 PM
O K I registered for Nats. Today in the 1000 & 500 free - 100 & 200 fly & 400 I'm. I'm all in now.

orca1946
February 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I will not look at nats. ranking till after our state meet. I repeat this to myself all the time !!!

orca1946
April 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Question --- if you swim without a Q time --- do you earn points & a medal for your team if you get in the top ten ??

Atlantic
April 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Question --- if you swim without a Q time --- do you earn points & a medal for your team if you get in the top ten ??

Yes. :)
You do not have to make a NQT in order to score/medal.