PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Pool SAD

aquajock
May 3rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
I've trained and competed mostly outside since I've been doing Masters and have noticed that I lose some of my excitement when I compete indoors. I can see better and feel more "happy endorphins" when I'm racing outdoors. If you can relate or have found a way to overcome this, please let me know.

Fresnoid
May 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Move to Seattle until your conditioned response to going indoors is happiness to be out of the rain.

knelson
May 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Fresnoid there's an outdoor meet scheduled in Seattle on December 1st! Maybe aquajock should swim that one and it will cure her of her outdoor meet addiction. :)

TRYM_Swimmer
May 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Normally my New Year's Day is the day our Y pool opens with the bubble off (this week, yea!), so not much help here. However, swimming in a pool like GAC for nationals (very high ceiling, very deep pool, lots of light) was as close to swimming outdoors for me as any indoor facility has been.

aquajock
May 3rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
Move to Seattle until your conditioned response to going indoors is happiness to be out of the rain.

We had rain and wind a couple of meets here where I wasn't too happy. But I fear the only cure for my sun addiction may be not tapering or drugs...

That Guy
May 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hey Fresnoid there's an outdoor meet scheduled in Seattle on December 1st! Maybe aquajock should swim that one and it will cure her of her outdoor meet addiction. :)
I am looking forward to that meet! :banana:

But I will be bringing a full rain suit. And an umbrella... and a winter hat... and wool socks... and hot coffee...

Jimbosback
May 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
I've trained and competed mostly outside since I've been doing Masters and have noticed that I lose some of my excitement when I compete indoors. I can see better and feel more "happy endorphins" when I'm racing outdoors. If you can relate or have found a way to overcome this, please let me know.

I definitely perform better in outdoor meets. I have trouble staying loose indoors and don't get as fired up when behind the blocks. IDK if there's a solution -- I'm just too acclimated to sunshine.

aquajock
May 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I definitely perform better in outdoor meets. I have trouble staying loose indoors and don't get as fired up when behind the blocks. IDK if there's a solution -- I'm just too acclimated to sunshine.

Yes, exactly. I was shivering behind the blocks in Greensboro and felt like I was swimming at night.

swimslick
May 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
How bout some yellow tinted goggles? They're like SADD lights for swimmers :D

aquajock
May 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM

That sounds like a good plan. And would be a lot safer than setting a sun lamp next to the blocks...

jaadams1
May 3rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
But I will be bringing a full rain suit. And an umbrella... and a winter hat... and wool socks... and hot coffee...

Wimp! I'm hoping it snows! :applaud: I don't think I'll be driving over for this one anyway, but for you guys, I hope it's a blizzard out there!! :badday:

That Guy
May 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Wimp! I'm hoping it snows! :applaud: I don't think I'll be driving over for this one anyway, but for you guys, I hope it's a blizzard out there!! :badday:
Yeah! I will make sure to enter some tough events so I can say I raced the ______ in the snow! (the order of events is not announced yet, so just imagine that that blank is the Brute Squad or the long distance pentathlon or something)

jaadams1
May 3rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah! I will make sure to enter some tough events so I can say I raced the ______ in the snow! (the order of events is not announced yet, so just imagine that that blank is the Brute Squad or the long distance pentathlon or something)

Well...in that case...

...I'm still probably not coming over. :)

Fins25
May 4th, 2012, 05:09 AM
There is no doubt that racing outdoors (in the sun) is much nicer than racing indoors. Over the years I have mainly raced indoors and some centers are much nicer than others.

I always tell myself that I can swim faster indoors because there is no wind resistance. It is almost like tricking the mind (mine is pretty easy to fool!). This gets me a little more excited and I actually look forward to racing indoors for this reason.

Not sure if this helps but good luck with it

knelson
May 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM

I know. The worse the weather, the better that meet will be! I've probably mentioned this story before, but in college one year we did a double-distance meet against Michigan. It was outdoors, long course in November. If it was above freezing out it wasn't by much. I remember not being able to see the races very well because of the steam coming off the pool and I remember it was really cold even with warmups, a parka, hat and gloves on! The big story of the meet was that Mike Barrowman set a new world record in the 440 yard breast (the pool was 55 yards). The old record was from the '60s or something. :)

FR.LLC
May 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM

I like that. How about some shades for when you're not in the water?

aquajock
May 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
There is no doubt that racing outdoors (in the sun) is much nicer than racing indoors. Over the years I have mainly raced indoors and some centers are much nicer than others.

I always tell myself that I can swim faster indoors because there is no wind resistance. It is almost like tricking the mind (mine is pretty easy to fool!). This gets me a little more excited and I actually look forward to racing indoors for this reason.

Not sure if this helps but good luck with it

I ordered some Kayenne goggles with no tint at all that I'm going to try out when I go to Colorado in a couple of weeks and will be swimming indoors. I guess swimming in the dark reminds me too much of the nightmares I have where I forgot to wear goggles or got in the wrong lane and I feel more scared than excited...A nightmare almost came true when my suit started to disintegrate last week...

Bill Sive
June 2nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Take the frown and turn it upside down, and make some lemonade while your at it.

If you are swimming in an indoor pool that is East to West, then find an indoor pool that is North to South. Mix it up. Embrace it. Do the same thing when you are presented with the opportunity to swim in outdoor pools.

I swim in a half dozen pools, meters and yards. I swim indoors, outdoors, North to South, South to North, East to West, and West to East. I even swim in a pool that has a retractable roof.

My point is do not become an expert at swimming in one pool. Mix it up. Its to your advantage when you participate in swim competitions.

If you are truly stuck in one indoor pool. Then have some fun with it, wear a pink, or crazy colored, swim brief.

I do prefer outdoor pools over indoor pools, but I'll take what I can get, as long as I can get my swim workout in for the day.

mlabresh
June 2nd, 2012, 11:16 PM
Take the frown and turn it upside down, and make some lemonade while your at it.

If you are swimming in an indoor pool that is East to West, then find an indoor pool that is North to South. Mix it up. Embrace it. Do the same thing when you are presented with the opportunity to swim in outdoor pools.

I swim in a half dozen pools, meters and yards. I swim indoors, outdoors, North to South, South to North, East to West, and West to East. I even swim in a pool that has a retractable roof.

My point is do not become an expert at swimming in one pool. Mix it up. Its to your advantage when you participate in swim competitions.

If you are truly stuck in one indoor pool. Then have some fun with it, wear a pink, or crazy colored, swim brief.

I do prefer outdoor pools over indoor pools, but I'll take what I can get, as long as I can get my swim workout in for the day.

Yes! :agree:

Being in the midwest, most of our pools are indoors. The high schools all have indoor pools and that is where we practice 9mo out of the year. I'm looking forward to the new experience (for me, being my first year of Masters and first outdoor opportunity) of having outdoor practices! On Monday, we start swimming outdoors in a LCM pool - both new for me. Normally, I alternate between a nice temperature, indoor, SCY pool and a too warm, indoor, SCM pool. So the outdoor, LCM pool will be a nice change.

Also different for me? The SCY pool has lane ropes and the SCM pool does not - it's also a 30m pool rather than 25m. How's that for mixing it up? :groovy:

orca1946
June 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
Here in Chicagoland - outside swimming is from June 4th till all the H S life guards go back to school, then they shut down all the outdoor pools.
Lake swimming is for those brave souls & wetsuit junkies!:bolt:

Midas
June 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
I love to train outdoors and race indoors. Something about sun exposure, wind and the clear blue sky that makes me think I'm slower outdoors. (Backstroke is a lot harder without a ceiling to help keep you straight.) Its obviously worse outdoors when it's cold or rainy out. But I do love training outdoors in the fresh air and I love swimming in the rain.

aquajock
June 4th, 2012, 08:49 PM

All the pools in Arizona are outdoors so I don't have much choice for training. But when I'm used to breathing dry outdoor air and being in a bright cheerful environment, it's pretty hard to get excited about hyperventilating in the dark. I did try the clear Kayenne goggles out and I can see better in dim light with these...

megaswim
June 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I completely empathize with you, I grew up in the sunshine state and swimming year round outdoors, I always felt indoor pools were where big meets like districts and states were held but even that pool had a retractable roof haha. I now live in Virgina and can't seem to find a good outdoor pool to workout at, extremely tired of the indoor pool. This past weekend I was determined to find a lane outdoors, so I went to the "aquatic center" (in my mind an aquatic center has a lap pool with maybe some kiddie pools on the side) not at all what I expected haha it should be re-named water park, although they did have a lane set up, I took advantage of it but had to deal with kids jumping in and out of the lane (couldn't really complaine to much since I knew full well what I was getting into when I got there) but even if they had all lanes set up it could only hold 4 lane, oye! Looks like I will just be sucking it up and keep swimming indoors.

aquajock
June 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I completely empathize with you, I grew up in the sunshine state and swimming year round outdoors, I always felt indoor pools were where big meets like districts and states were held but even that pool had a retractable roof haha. I now live in Virgina and can't seem to find a good outdoor pool to workout at, extremely tired of the indoor pool. This past weekend I was determined to find a lane outdoors, so I went to the "aquatic center" (in my mind an aquatic center has a lap pool with maybe some kiddie pools on the side) not at all what I expected haha it should be re-named water park, although they did have a lane set up, I took advantage of it but had to deal with kids jumping in and out of the lane (couldn't really complaine to much since I knew full well what I was getting into when I got there) but even if they had all lanes set up it could only hold 4 lane, oye! Looks like I will just be sucking it up and keep swimming indoors.

I guess I'm just spoiled rotten after 24 years in the desert. There's something about breathing fresh air, listening to singing birds, looking at blue sky and cloud patterns and swimming long course that provide a very zen experience for me. Anything else for me isn't real swimming. The only thing we don't have here in the desert is the ocean, which I love even more!

That Guy
September 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Well...in that case...

...I'm still probably not coming over. :)

Here are the details and order of events for the December 1st outdoor meet in Seattle:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1534&smid=3631

Yayyy: "First Annual Pneumonia Open" :banana:
Boooo: "No 400 IM or 1650, because you know, we’re not that crazy"
Yayyy: "Don’t worry if the air is cold, the water will be 82 degrees."
Boooo: "Swimmers may enter up to 4 individual events" (cue sound of door slamming and jaadams1 swearing loudly)
Yayyy: they're running the 500 free and the 200 stroke events :chug:

tpost2
September 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
All the different perspectives on this topic are really interesting.

I grew up training and competing largely in the North where, as others have noted, you're lucky to even see an outdoor pool for more than 1-2 months out of the year. In Masters, I've had the opportunity to branch out a bit and trained with a team in an outdoor pool in the summer and even competed in a couple of outdoor pools.

I've noticed that swimming outdoors seems to feel more festive and when the weather is behaving, it can be very pleasant indeed. That being said, I much prefer the indoor venues for a couple of reasons:
1) better predictability of 'weather' in indoor venues. Pools are variable enough without having to worry about temperature, wind, rain (or snow!), sunburns, etc.
2) being prone to migraines, being out in the bright sun and heat can be a trigger. As you can imagine, my races tend not to be great (assuming I can actually make it to the block at all) when I'm fighting a migraine.
3) I'm really bad at swimming backstroke in a straight line without a visual cue on the ceiling.
4) allergies... worse outside, making it hard to breathe and therefore swim.

But even though one might say those are all very valid reasons, I suspect that the heart of it is that I'm more comfortable with indoor swimming because that's just what I'm most used to and grew up doing. Even though it's uncomfortable to get out of my comfort zone, it's a good thing, as someone noted above, and I do try to swim in different environments just for the practice. I'm even considering an open water swim.:bolt:

jaadams1
September 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Here are the details and order of events for the December 1st outdoor meet in Seattle:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1534&smid=3631

Yayyy: "First Annual Pneumonia Open" :banana:
Boooo: "No 400 IM or 1650, because you know, we’re not that crazy"
Yayyy: "Don’t worry if the air is cold, the water will be 82 degrees."
Boooo: "Swimmers may enter up to 4 individual events" (cue sound of door slamming and jaadams1 swearing loudly)
Yayyy: they're running the 500 free and the 200 stroke events :chug:

I did look at it, and will NOT be attending for a few reasons:

no 400 IM
4 event maximum (Why would I drive all the way to Seattle to freeze my @$$ off and only swim a few events???)
I have a local 3 day USAS Invitational here at our home pool in which I can swim 11 or 12 events over the same weekend. :banana:
our water will be about 83 degrees :D (YMCA pool)

Celestial
September 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I guess I'm just spoiled rotten after 24 years in the desert. There's something about breathing fresh air, listening to singing birds, looking at blue sky and cloud patterns and swimming long course that provide a very zen experience for me. Anything else for me isn't real swimming. The only thing we don't have here in the desert is the ocean, which I love even more!
Susan, you probably ARE spoiled, but spoiled just the way you like it. Simple solution - save your shekels and only go to meets that are held when & where you like to swim. Being a workout swimmer myself, this poses no problems for me. . . .:blush: