PDA

View Full Version : Fly timing tips

Swimmerstevieg
May 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I was wondering where I could get fly timing tips. Particularly where your arms should be at the start/finish of the second dolphin. Thanks

Fins25
May 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I am unaware of any sites or blogs that can help you so maybe the other guys can help you there.

But in terms of the timing of the kick and arm strokes, as you are aware it is 2 kicks per arm stroke. I always focus on 1 kick as your arms enter the water and 1 kick as your hands are about to leave the water. Both kicks are very important but the 2nd kick is the one that really launches you.

In order for this to happen you need to ensure that your head lifts to breathe before your hands leave the water and then enters the water before your hands do. This helps keep your hips up and makes the kicking action so much easier.

To practise the timing I do lots of 1 arm butterfly and really focus on 1 kick when my hands enter, 1 kick when my hands get to my hips. Just focus in your mind "kick, kick". Once you get the timing on this, swim 3 strokes left arm, 3 strokes right arm and then 3 full strokes.

Hope this helps

Swimosaur
May 6th, 2012, 11:23 PM
jd67PMryIT0

elizabetB
May 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the tips. :)

orca1946
May 8th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I agree kick in& kick out with the hands at each point of the kick.
I count 1 -- 2 -- 1 - -2 . If that helps.

ande
May 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I was wondering where I could get fly timing tips.
Particularly where your arms should be at the start/finish of the second dolphin. Thanks

Fly is an arm driven stroke.
the timing of the kick depends on where the arms are in the stroke cycle.

With a 2 beat fly kick, you kick when your arms enter the water and when they leave

With a 1 beat fly kick, you kick when your arms enter the water.

Fly is a flat stroke with a slight undulation.
Novices make the mistake of bending their knees too much.

Watch youtubes of the best in the world and copy them.
If your kick is weak or the timing of your pull & kick is wrong you can often improve your fly by kicking with less amplitude and power and

These 2 threads can help you:

The Butterfly Lane

The SDK Lane

Swim the following FAST for Time with plenty of rest
15 meters, 25 & 50
Report your times

have a friend video you with an iphone
swimming butterfly fast
Head on and from the side
put the HD vids on youtube
provide a link & ask for feedback