PDA

View Full Version : Store swimming apparels

lehe
May 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I haven't swum for a long long time (two years already). Today, I found that the rubber band of my goggles has been either melting or becoming hardened and crispy. The wastband of My TYR nylon trainer (brief-like) has been hardened and somehow melt together as well. My cap is still okay.

I also have an unused TYR trainer which seems okay.

So I wonder how to store both used and unused swimming apparels? I mostly just put them into a plastic bag, or leave them on the shelve of my bathroom. Is it okay to do that?

Thanks!

Calvin S
May 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I haven't swum for a long long time (two years already). Today, I found that the rubber band of my goggles has been either melting or becoming hardened and crispy. The wastbank of My TYR nylon trainer (brief-like) has been hardened and somehow melt together as well. My cap is still okay.

I also have an unused TYR trainer which seems okay.

So I wonder how to store both used and unused swimming apparels? I mostly just put them into a plastic bag, or leave them on the shelve of my bathroom. Is it okay to do that?

Thanks!

Washing items out with cold water after use can help. I found my goggles and caps lasted a lot longer when I didn't leave them in my car in the summer (they would melt) and in the winter (they would turn hard and brittle). Since it sounds like you don't store your stuff in the car, just washing it out thoroughly is the best thing I can think of.

lehe
May 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks! I did wash them with cold water after use. But I don't know how to tell if they are washed out, and if the way I store them is the right one?

Washing items out with cold water after use can help. I found my goggles and caps lasted a lot longer when I didn't leave them in my car in the summer (they would melt) and in the winter (they would turn hard and brittle). Since it sounds like you don't store your stuff in the car, just washing it out thoroughly is the best thing I can think of.

fmracing
May 7th, 2012, 03:45 PM
After years of putting on new goggle bands every 4-5 months because they became sticky and melted, I went to bungies on my goggles and havent looked back. Going on 3 years with these bungies and zero problems.

I highly recommend.

lehe
May 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks! What is "bungies" on goggles?

After years of putting on new goggle bands every 4-5 months because they became sticky and melted, I went to bungies on my goggles and havent looked back. Going on 3 years with these bungies and zero problems.

I highly recommend.

Rob Copeland
May 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks! What is "bungies" on goggles?
see http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/21092.htm?color=11933 for an example.

splacke
May 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM
You can also cup up a bicycle inner tube into strips. It will last a long time.

lehe
May 7th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks!
Does this bungee thing give more pressure around eyes than rubber band?
Which one is more comfortable?

see http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/21092.htm?color=11933 for an example.

smontanaro
May 7th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've only been using one for a couple weeks. You can adjust them for snugness. I don't find one type of strap is more comfortable than the other.

Skip

laineybug
May 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
when you rinse your goggles and swim suit, wash them with the anti-chlorine shampoo you use on your hair, rinse well a second time. I have a rather expensive pair of prescription goggles that have lasted a very long time because I have consistently used anti-chlorine on them. (usually just carry the goggles and swimsuit into the shower with me and wash/rinse them there)

Lainey

knelson
May 10th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Silicone goggle straps are also much more durable than rubber. I remember the straps routinely breaking and/or melting back when I used goggles with rubber straps, but I've never had a silicone strap break. Speedo Vanquishers, for example, are sold with silicone straps.

smontanaro
May 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I just replaced the rubber straps on my Swedes with a bungee a couple weeks ago. Today the rubber nose piece broke, and I didn't have a replacement in my backpack. Made for a short workout... I'll be cutting up some other old rubber straps to make a new nose piece this evening. (And making sure I carry a spare set of goggles in my pack...)

S

orca1946
May 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Cut a piece off the end of the silicone strap to make a nose connector ?

smontanaro
May 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I have a fat head, so there's nothing to spare in the strap. :D

philoswimmer
May 12th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Do you live in a hot climate? I don't think any storage method will guard against heat + time.