PDA

View Full Version : Invention challenge...

swimbody
May 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM
With all the amazing talent that abounds in the masters swimming world, has anyone come across or is interested in working on a new invention...in ear, wireless bluetooth waterproof head phones. Something so small it looks like a hearing aid, that would talk to your waterproof ipod wirelessly? Or is it not possible because of how sound waves travel underwater? Is it just not possible because of physics? I thought it would be so cool to have them for dryland training even though they've not been invented yet...or have they????

Any insight would be gladly appreciated. I read the threads about the swimman technology. I was just wondering about wireless swim technology.

Peace

Rob Copeland
May 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Google “wireless waterproof headphones” You will find a few possible examples of what you are looking for.

Note, the signal range for Bluetooth® is about 10 meters. So you are somewhat limited in how far you can swim away from your signal.

swimbody
May 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Wish there was something about the size of a hearing aid that said L and R on it so I'd know which side of the stage Jerry Garcia was standing.

havepoolwillswim
May 8th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I want digital underwater lap counters that are actually on the touch pad. No more of getting somebody to stand on the other side of the pool and drop a stick in the water with a number on it.

I also want a digital anklet or something similar(it must be very, very thin and light) that monitors our pace so that when we reach the flags, our current 100 pace along with the previous 100 split will appear underwater on the touch pad.

elizabetB
May 8th, 2012, 01:31 AM
It was really a challenge then. Good luck with your invention.

fatboy
May 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I want digital underwater lap counters that are actually on the touch pad. No more of getting somebody to stand on the other side of the pool and drop a stick in the water with a number on it.

I also want a digital anklet or something similar(it must be very, very thin and light) that monitors our pace so that when we reach the flags, our current 100 pace along with the previous 100 split will appear underwater on the touch pad.

Counters are a great idea! Isn't there a rule against watches or other pacing devices? Might disallow the pace clock for racing. Be great for practice.

FR.LLC
May 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM

...the underwater lap counter records your split/lap times so that you could store them after the swim. I can count my own strokes, but a lap-watch would be especially helpful for monitoring your 100 times during a long swim, like say, if you were training for an Ironman Triathlon.

havepoolwillswim
May 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Counters are a great idea! Isn't there a rule against watches or other pacing devices? Might disallow the pace clock for racing. Be great for practice.

I was thinking for practice.

__steve__
May 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I wish someone would invent (or if invented, I wish I knew about it) a single person timer. It times when your foot hits this wall pad timer switch from a push-off to when your hand hits it upon finish. Kit can include a 2nd satellite switch for use with 25's, 50 LCM, or odd interval based timing. Put the starter on a block and tap it with your hand for solo timed 50's from the block. The tap to start time would be similar to reaction time.

A deluxe version includes PC software (with updates), 3 pads, underwater cam, body attached velocity meter, HUD equipped goggles with gauges (m/s, split, bpm, etc) capable of reading your 1650 time and 25 splits from the block and a graphic representation for view

Well actually a simple single pad timer would be nice.

knelson
May 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I wish someone would invent (or if invented, I wish I knew about it) a single person timer. It times when your foot hits this wall pad timer switch from a push-off to when your hand hits it upon finish.

I have a feeling the big challenge with anything like this would be dealing with constant exposure to water and harsh chemicals. Timings systems are pretty temperamental anyway, but imagine if they were being used every day.

FR.LLC
May 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I like Rob's idea of Googling, if you are looking to find someone selling such an invention. I was working on uspto.gov today and it occurred to me that you could search the database there also. http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

Celestial
May 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Finis has something sorta like this - you wear it under your cap or goggle strap - it doesn't tell you what your pace is, but you SET the pace & it beeps. So if you want to say, keep a 32 sec 50, you set it so that it beeps at 32 sec - you'll be able to tell right off if you're keeping the pace you want. I'm sure that the technology you're talking about, which is really just like a waterproof pedometer, isn't that far off, when you think about it.

havepoolwillswim
May 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Finis has something sorta like this - you wear it under your cap or goggle strap - it doesn't tell you what your pace is, but you SET the pace & it beeps. So if you want to say, keep a 32 sec 50, you set it so that it beeps at 32 sec - you'll be able to tell right off if you're keeping the pace you want. I'm sure that the technology you're talking about, which is really just like a waterproof pedometer, isn't that far off, when you think about it.

cool- thanks for posting