PDA

View Full Version : Do you warm up before 50 events?

Debugger
May 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Having short club meet this weekend and swimming only 2 50m events. (fr and br).
I've always used to warm up before any events but I heard many times folks telling that there's no need to warm up for 50 and some even told it's not recommended. The question is addressed mainly to sprinters: What do you think? Do you warm up before 50 events? If you do warm up for 50s, could you pls type some examples?

pwb
May 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Absolutely. For me, you gotta get the engine revved before racing. I don't think you need a huge amount of warmup, but definitely some burst 12.5s to 25 distance about 15-20 minutes before race time.

aquageek
May 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM

knelson
May 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Do mean warming up at all or just immediately before the event? I would think that, yes, you'd definitely want to warm up. Whether you warm up immediately before the event or not is a matter of personal preference for just about any event.

smontanaro
May 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Leslie gave the HIT crowd this torque drill which I find helpful in producing speed. I'm not a sprinter and have a low turnover rate. with the strong underwater pull coupled with the underwater recovery I find it speeds up my stroke rate significantly. The effect doesn't necessarily last all that long for me, but it's something I would definitely try to work into my warmup if I was ever to swim another meet...

Skip

The Fortress
May 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I always warm up for 50s. I like to loosen up, do some drills, a few short builds and bursts and I'm good to go. Maybe 700 or so. Now I can happily sit around and do nothing for an hour or two between races.

ande
May 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM
YES
Warm up 15 - 20 min before
Warm down immediately after

Debugger
May 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Do mean warming up at all or just immediately before the event? I would think that, yes, you'd definitely want to warm up. Whether you warm up immediately before the event or not is a matter of personal preference for just about any event.
I've heard talks that no need to warm up at all before 50.
I will give a bit more details. You see I didn't compete for a very long time and started again about 1 year ago so I don't know my body well enough yet. This meet consists of 50s and 100 IM only. Last time I took part at the same meet I swam 50br, 100im and 4x50fr relay. I did warm up about 300m in relaxed pace. 3 or 4 build 50s and 4-5 12.5s afap from dive. After that 50br and 100m went terrible I felt sluggish after dive till the end of the events but 4x50 I swam immediately after 100IM unexpectedly went awesome. Suddenly I've got my 2nd breath. I understand that something actually was wrong with my warm up and this time I want to try different schema but not sure which one.

TRYM_Swimmer
May 11th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think it is more important to warm up for 50s than any other distance, especially as I am not traditionally a great sprinter.

__steve__
May 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I thought is was good to warm up before doing anything, even a 50.

Speedo
May 11th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'll definitely warm up for a 50, mostly because I've noticed that if I'm doing multiple sprints in a workout, my times tend to drop a bit on the 2nd and 3rd reps. Why? I don't know. But they do.

That said, my better races in Greensboro were not immediately preceeded by a 2nd (or 3rd) warmup just prior to the race. I had warmed up a few hours before, but not again right before.

And there's my entirely qualitative and confusing opinion on the matter.

jaadams1
May 11th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Warm down immediately after

Unless it's the last race of the weekend...then warmdown is Monday morning's warmup. ;)

orca1946
May 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Get wet or warmup?

JimRude
May 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Please feel free to swim a 50 BR AFAP with no warm-up. Then tell me how your groin feels afterward, if you are able to walk...

gobears
May 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Please feel free to swim a 50 BR AFAP with no warm-up. Then tell me how your groin feels afterward, if you are able to walk...

Exactly. I've never heard of a coach promoting absolutely no warm up for any race. Who are these coaches?

The Fortress
May 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I've heard talks that no need to warm up at all before 50.
I will give a bit more details. You see I didn't compete for a very long time and started again about 1 year ago so I don't know my body well enough yet. This meet consists of 50s and 100 IM only. Last time I took part at the same meet I swam 50br, 100im and 4x50fr relay. I did warm up about 300m in relaxed pace. 3 or 4 build 50s and 4-5 12.5s afap from dive. After that 50br and 100m went terrible I felt sluggish after dive till the end of the events but 4x50 I swam immediately after 100IM unexpectedly went awesome. Suddenly I've got my 2nd breath. I understand that something actually was wrong with my warm up and this time I want to try different schema but not sure which one.

Who is talking that talk? And for masters?

The sluggishness you felt could be due to prior training, not warm up.

3-4 build 50s + 4-5 AFAP 12.5s off the blocks?! Way too much fast work for a 50 warm up IMO, but YMMV. I never go off the blocks during warm up to save the legs. 300 total also seems low. I usually do some slow swimming at the outset and between my mini fast efforts in warm up.

chaos
May 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM
it takes me a whole season to swim 50 events.......

Jazz Hands
May 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
No, they are not real events.

Allen Stark
May 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I warm up more for a 50 than for a 200.I want to be really revved and ready for a 50.I am working faster and pulling harder for a 50 than for longer distance.Being not warmed up is a great way to pull something.Also as I am faster really warmed up.

swimshark
May 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Depends. I usually swim 50s just for "fun". Often they are right after a longer event. If so, I don't warm up because I'v warmed down from the previous event. If I'm dry and haven't been in for a while, then yes, I will warm up.

Rnovitske
May 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Yes, I do. Learning from my masters experience, & trial and error. I used to do sprints without warmups, but 'accidentally' discovered how much better it was after doing a warmup first.

When I was younger, I did not do much warmup during a meet - most of it coming during the beginning warmup period. Older (and hopefully wiser) I now find that a warmup before each event is needed, no matter how small.

Also, (as if no one has ever heard this answer) the warmup depends. It depends on what event I have just completed, how long ago, and how I felt. From several meets, I can now better judge about how much warmup I need before a sprint, and how intense warmup should be - no size fits all for me.

Too much, and I left my sprint legs in the warmup pool. Not enough, and I never actually get up to speed during the race.

Good luck on the meet and let us know how you do!

knelson
May 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
3-4 build 50s + 4-5 AFAP 12.5s off the blocks?! Way too much fast work for a 50 warm up IMO, but YMMV. I never go off the blocks during warm up to save the legs.

Good point. Starts do take a toll. If you don't believe it, practice multiple starts sometime and see how your legs feel the next day!

Peter Cruise
May 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Also very important after that warmup is to do your stretching.