PDA

View Full Version : Fly training?

Fresnoid
May 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM
It doesn't matter how much freestyle I do, my butterfly is comparatively lame unless I do substantial fly in practice.

I've seen lots of people who can race fly really well without doing much of it in practice.

How about you?

jaadams1
May 12th, 2012, 11:27 PM
It doesn't matter how much freestyle I do, my butterfly is comparatively lame unless I do substantial fly in practice.

I've seen lots of people who can race fly really well without doing much of it in practice.

How about you?

You just described me! :)

Yes I do swim some fly in practice, and lately I've been doing a bit more of it, but in the past I would train almost all freestyle with a little IM work as well.

=============================

My latest fly set (that seems to get borrowed by others on the blogs):

Multiple Rounds of

75 (25 Fly, 50 Free) @ 1:05
75 (50 Fly, 25 Free) @ 1:10
75 Fly @ 1:15
75 Free @ 1:00
Push the fly, relax the free. Intervals can vary. :agree:

Fins25
May 13th, 2012, 12:40 AM
How much fly I do in training depends on the distance that I will be racing in the near future. If I am preparing for a 50m race then I don't do heaps of fly. I would just incorporate a few 25m sprints after the warm up of most sessions.

On the other hand if I am preparing for a 200m fly then I do quite a bit of work in butterfly. I still do the majority of sets in freestyle but probably 2 of my main sets per week will be done as butterfly. If they are a set of 100's I would normally do 75 fly 25 free. If it is a set of 200's I would do 100-125m Fly and the rest free. The majority of my sprint and lactate tolerance work would be done as Fly.

vimier
May 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about, but sadly most of my coaches do not. I have never really needed to train much fly, as I sort of became my best stroke out of the blue. It seems like I improve more upon my fly if I just work technique for fly and do the endurance training freestyle. This would also include sprints butterfly, but that only happens for lactate sets or sprinter circuits.

I think it also has something to do with the distance of the fly event. I can see a lot of sprinters who do not need to train fly because they do the 100 and lower. On the other hand, most people who swim the 200 seem to do a bit more fly at practice.

orca1946
May 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM
When I run practice, I always include all stroke in diff. distance in every workout.