PDA

View Full Version : Back in the water after 35 years

CTTom
May 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I recently got back in the water after 35 years. I know ... what was I doing? Well, getting married, raising kids, etc. But I finally began swimming again in March although I don't get to swim often enough. I get abouit 2 days a training a week. Still, I'm thinking I'd like to enter a race. I'm a 55 years old man but I have no idea what a decent time is for my age group. I'm not ready for any kind of distace race but think I'll start with a 50 meter backstroke. That was by best event way back when. Does anyone know what a decent time would be for that event in my age group?

ALM
May 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Tom,

Welcome back! USMS has an "event rankings" feature where you can choose an event and then see a list of everyone who has swum that event, ranked by time. You can narrow down the list by age group.

1) Go to usms.org
2) Move your mouse over the blue "Competition" tab at the top
3) Choose "Event Results & Rankings" from the pop-up menu
4) It takes a minute for this to load, because it's doing a big database query
5) Choose "Look up event rankings"
6) We are nearing the end of the 2011-2012 Short Course Yards season, so I'd suggest looking at those rankings.
7) Under the heading for Short Course Yards, select:
---Season: 2011-2012
---Stroke: Back
---Distance: 50
---Ages: 55 through: 59
---Display Top: 300

8) Click the "Start Search" button
9) You will see a list of everyone in that age group (230 people) who swam the 50-yard backstroke in a meet over the past 12 months. They're ranked from fastest to slowest. The times range from 26.62 seconds to 1:25.99.

To me these are all "decent" times. Just getting in the pool and swimming is what Masters is all about.

Fins25
May 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Welcome back to the water CTTom. Good luck with everything

no200fly
May 22nd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Tom
You will find a lot of us with the same story ... returning to swimming after a long hiatus. I think you will enjoy it. The meets are fun and a great distraction from life as usual.

My advice is to join a team if possible. It is a lot more fun to share your workout with others. Good luck.