PDA

View Full Version : Who here has been the slowest one in their event?

mlabresh
May 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
So, I'm going to Nationals this summer. It will be my first meet... ever. I know I'm a really slow swimmer (part of that comes from being 5'2") and will likely be the slowest one in my events.

But I still want to do it!:D

I'm swimming 50 breast, 100 breast, and 50 free. I had to take 2mo off this spring because our van broke and it took us a while to get it fixed, so I wasn't able to swim from mid-March to mid-May. I'm back in the water now and am building up my training to swimming 5 days a week (in another week our Masters group will be meeting 5:30-7a M-F). Right now we're swimming short course still but when we switch our schedule, we'll be switching pools and swimming long course.

I had to time myself last week so I'd have my seed times for registration. In the past week I've already taken 6sec off my 50 breast - which, I think, is pretty good progress.

I'm not expecting to win my heats or get any awesome times at Nationals, but I'm super excited to be going and am anxious to see how much I've improved my own times.

Has anyone else been the slowest swimmer out there before? Any tips on staying positive? :blush:

Rob Copeland
May 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Any tips on staying positive? :blush:
Set realistic and achievable goals that are not based on where you place in your events.
Goal 1 – Set personal best times in all 3 events (should be somewhat easy, since it's your first meet)
Goal 2 – Introduce yourself to at least 2 heat mates in each event
Goal 3 – Enjoy the spectacle of swimming in the same pool as Phelps, Lochte, Franklin and the entire USA Olympic Swimming Team
Bonus goal 1 – Keep your goggles on when (and if) you dive

aquageek
May 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
At Tempe in 2003 I wasn't DFL but I was darn close in my events. It stung a lot but motivated me to get serious about my training. I still think that is the fastest Nationals I have ever witnessed. You will be harder on yourself than anyone else will be.

moodyrichardson
May 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
I always seem to be the slowest, but I keep improving my personal times. So, I'm happy with being last!

Swimosaur
May 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
... I'm super excited to be going and am anxious to see how much I've improved my own times.

Has anyone else been the slowest swimmer out there before? Any tips on staying positive? :blush:

Focus on the first sentence, not the second! Nats are all about having a good time, enjoying the spectacle, the experience, the people, and the swimming. You are going to have a blast!

knelson
May 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM

Good one, Rob. This is definitely a goal worth achieving!

pwb
May 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Results = performance - expectations

Set your expectation for fun, the beauty of swimming in a facility unlike you'll like ever swim in again (or, at least until USMS does this setup again in 2016!), and your time expectations as your time expectations.

I got DFL a number of times in heats and events, sometime by agonizingly massive amounts, back in my HS and college days. Even if I had swum well relative to my own times, I let the place gnaw at me. It wasn't productive then and it's even less productive now in Masters.

ElaineK
May 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Me- almost! 2010 Spring Nationals was my second Masters meet ever; just two months after I joined USMS. Since I live in the Atlanta area, I didn't want to miss out on such a great opportunity. So, I signed up and just decided to give it my best.

I, too, am a breaststroker; I swam the 50, 100, and 200. I say "almost" to being the slowest in my age group, because I only beat out one other gal; another Forumite, as it so happens. (I shall allow her to remain nameless, unless she so chooses...)

You know what? I didn't care one bit! Nobody else will either! It's all about going and doing your best- or at least trying to accomplish that goal. And, it's about meeting people and having fun.

Nationals is a memorable experience; I recently returned from my fourth one. Meeting other Forumites is a highlight and seeing my friends met at prior Nationals is a blast. Do your best to connect with others who plan to attend, right here on the forums. (If budget allowed I would be there to cheer you on, but I have to sit this one out.)

Make sure to post, again, after Nationals, and let us know how it went for you. I know you won't regret the experience!

Good luck!

:cheerleader:

ALM
May 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I, too, am a breaststroker; I swam the 50, 100, and 200. I say "almost" to being the slowest in my age group, because I only beat out one other gal; another Forumite, as it so happens. (I shall allow her to remain nameless, unless she so chooses...)

I not ashamed to admit it... It was me!

:bliss: :carolers: :cheerleader: :dj_dance: :thewave: :turkey: :drowning: :party2:

ElaineK
May 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Jayhawk;267229]I not ashamed to admit it... It was me!
[QUOTE]
Love the Smilies, Anna Lea! :applaud: And, it was a pleasure being a cellar dwellar along with you at Nationals. Meeting and swimming with you was one of the fun memories I had of my first Nationals and it just didn't matter where I ended up in the rankings.

Now, for my favorites:
:bliss: :ohyeah: :bouncing::afraid::bighug: :groovy: :wiggle: :chug::thewave:

Sojerz
May 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
I haven't gone to a national meet yet, but in my two usms meets ive often in the same event been both dead last in my age group and either 2nd or 3rd place. Helps to get older. Remember what we always tell kids in sports - the most important thing is to have fun. Your times will be what they will be. Hope you enjoy the experience and the terrific pool.

ALM
May 23rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Love the Smilies, Anna Lea! :applaud: And, it was a pleasure being a cellar dwellar along with you at Nationals.

Here's the way I look at it. Without people like us, those fast people wouldn't look nearly as good... :bolt:

__steve__
May 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I am DFL slow, but out of the water I look like I would be fast.

Jimbosback
May 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
The coolest thing about Masters is that nobody cares how you place, but many many people care how you swim.

I am in the lower third of my events -- not DFL yet -- but at each nationals I have been to, I have talked to top ten/record holder/event champ swimmers who've asked me how my swims went, etc. They want to know if I had good swims, and if I got best times, which is generally how they are evaluating their own meet, too.

ddskier63
May 24th, 2012, 12:45 AM
5' 1" tall, swimming those same events (among others), in the 45-49 age group at Summer Nationals. This is gonna be awesome...You will have a blast.

Maui Mike
May 24th, 2012, 01:07 AM
No matter what, act like you won.

EJB190
May 24th, 2012, 03:30 AM
My personal motto is "Swimming is a competition between you and yourself".

I've played many competitive sports- soccer and lax being my two other big sports. In the beginning I always figured swimming was just about beating the people next to me, which it is in a shallow (pun intended) way. In high school I started to see swimming as a competition with myself and my goals and that's what made me really excel and enjoy the sport so much more.

swimshark
May 24th, 2012, 07:23 AM

You went and you swam therefore you did win! You lapped all those sitting on the couch. Think of it that way and you can stay positive.

Rob Copeland
May 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Definitely not a math major;)

Results = performance - expectations

Set your expectation for fun, the beauty of swimming in a facility…
Results = performance – expectations
Expectations = fun + the beauty of swimming in a facility
Results = performance – (fun + the beauty of swimming in a facility)
Results = performance – fun - the beauty of swimming in a facility:confused::confused:

One of the ironies of the slowest – fastest spectrum is that it is often the fastest folks who sometimes struggle with staying positive. Case in point, at a recent nationals I congratulated a friend who just won a race; to which he responded in a disappointed tone “it was OK”, because he has missed his goal time. And that was me a long time ago when I was fast, now I’ve lowered my expectations and I’m having more fun (and plotting how to win the 2056 nationals 200 Fly).

mlabresh
May 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks so much everyone! :D

I'm really really excited to go. :bliss:

When my kids started swimming last summer, I remember them participating in their first meets (after only a week or two in the pool, starting as non-swimmers). They often came in last, but it was such an accomplishment just for them to swim in the meet that it didn't matter! Through last summer season and this fall/winter season it's been fun to see them come in 'not last' and, eventually, even win a heat occasionally.

I've always looked at swimming as a competition with myself - I've kind of had to being I've always been on my own in the pool. I've never been on a team and even with my Masters group, no one really talks to each other.

I'm really looking forward to experiencing the meet and meeting other swimmers. Thanks again for all your encouraging words!:)

mlabresh
May 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM

This would be a good one for me! I plan on working on (learning) dives with my coach when we start swimming at the LC pool. I've never even stood on the blocks, let alone jumped off them! :afraid:

5' 1" tall, swimming those same events (among others), in the 45-49 age group at Summer Nationals. This is gonna be awesome...You will have a blast.

Awesome! I'll be in the 30-34 age group. :)

I don't think I will be able to not feel/act like I won! It was only a couple years ago on Twitter that I mentioned I wished there was a 'swim team for adults' and, of all people, Mel Stewart told me to check out my local Masters group! Now I get to go swim in the Olympic Trials pool.. how cool is that!? :banana:

Calvin S
May 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
two-time DFL in the 200 yd breast at YMCA Nationals in '02 and '03. There is no shame in finishing last.

Fenella
May 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM
In my first and only 100 Fly [ so far..] - but I did it ! :applaud:

MickYoung
May 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
About two years ago, I realized that I had been DFL in exactly half of the swimming races I've been in.

That is no longer the case, so I'm going to do more challenging events so I can keep my DFL edge.

Yay Team DFL!

ElaineK
May 24th, 2012, 01:29 PM
This would be a good one for me! I plan on working on (learning) dives with my coach when we start swimming at the LC pool. I've never even stood on the blocks, let alone jumped off them! :afraid:

Here are some tips for keeping your goggles on during starts. I picked these up from Ande, here on the Forums:

1. Put Vaseline around your eye sockets where the goggles make contact with your face. You will get better suction, and, as an extra bonus, it will help protect your skin from irritation.

2. Make sure your strap is snug and you have good suction around your eyes.

3. Put a second cap over your cap and goggles, and pull the front of the cap over the top edge of your goggles. Another option (which I now do, because two caps make my head too hot and gives me a headache) is to put your goggles on first and your cap OVER the strap.

4. When you dive off the blocks, tuck your chin, look back at your feet throughout your dive, and get your arms tight against your ears for a tight streamline. Upon entry, you will not only be quicker; your goggles will stay in place.

Ever since I took Ande's advice, as well as advice from other Forumites, I have never had a mishap with my goggles on starts.

Good luck!

sickfish
May 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I came in dead last in the 200 fly at both Nationals last year, and it didn't stop me from trying again this year :D There is certainly no shame in it. I look at it this way: most people don't have the guts to even attempt a 200 meter fly. (Actually, most people don't have the guts to attempt a swim meet at all!) This is one of my favorite things about masters. There's exactly as much pressure as you want, and if your swim is good for you, then everyone is happy.

[I've also had the dreaded DNF once. There might be a little shame in that, but I have really good excuses.]

mlabresh
May 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Here are some tips for keeping your goggles on during starts. I picked these up from Ande, here on the Forums:

1. Put Vaseline around your eye sockets where the goggles make contact with your face. You will get better suction, and, as an extra bonus, it will help protect your skin from irritation.

2. Make sure your strap is snug and you have good suction around your eyes.

3. Put a second cap over your cap and goggles, and pull the front of the cap over the top edge of your goggles. Another option (which I now do, because two caps make my head too hot and gives me a headache) is to put your goggles on first and your cap OVER the strap.

4. When you dive off the blocks, tuck your chin, look back at your feet throughout your dive, and get your arms tight against your ears for a tight streamline. Upon entry, you will not only be quicker; your goggles will stay in place.

Ever since I took Ande's advice, as well as advice from other Forumites, I have never had a mishap with my goggles on starts.

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks! I see a lot of the kids on my kids' team that are looking forward when they dive and I always wonder 'shouldn't they be tucking their chin?' it makes more sense. I always figured you'd want a good tight streamline for diving in. I may have to experiment with cap/goggles placement and figure out what works best.

staff writer
May 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
You can always go without goggles....
I'm last or almost last in my age group in pool meets, unless I am the only one in my age group. One thing I've learned? No one is looking at you or paying attention to your times but you. If you meet your goals, or even if you don't, you're awesome for trying.

swoomer
May 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Been there, done that. At my first nationals, I received medals in two of my four events. One was by default because only 9 people entered that event. In the other event, I actually beat one person for tenth! I couldn't have been more satisfied! Over the years, I've gotten faster and everyone else is getting slower.

It's all about you and the clock. If you stick with the training, you will continue to improve over time. Swim against yourself, and you'll be continually amazed!

mlabresh
May 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM
You can always go without goggles....
I'm last or almost last in my age group in pool meets, unless I am the only one in my age group. One thing I've learned? No one is looking at you or paying attention to your times but you. If you meet your goals, or even if you don't, you're awesome for trying.

This made me giggle because whenever a kid complains of goggle problems in practice, my kids' coach lectures them about how when he was swimming they didn't have goggles! :D

mlabresh
May 24th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Been there, done that. At my first nationals, I received medals in two of my four events. One was by default because only 9 people entered that event. In the other event, I actually beat one person for tenth! I couldn't have been more satisfied! Over the years, I've gotten faster and everyone else is getting slower.

It's all about you and the clock. If you stick with the training, you will continue to improve over time. Swim against yourself, and you'll be continually amazed!

It would be pretty cool to get a medal, even if only by default. :)

And as excited as I am about taking 6 sec off my 50 breast time, I can't wait to see how much better I do in July! :banana:

joel schmaltz
May 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I am usually last or close to it at big meets and it doesn't bother me at all. Of course everyone wants to race and win. I look at like this. It is me vs. the clock. I have set goal times ,including splits, that usually only myself and my coach know about for every race. These are challenging and reasonable. Reasonable being the key word here.

Enjoy the sport and have a good time. You can make this as intense as you want it to be.

orca1946
May 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Go there to just have fun! How cool to be at Nats. for your 1st meet ever!

mlabresh
May 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
It will definitely be a first meet to remember! :banana:

TinaA
May 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Really the only person who cares how fast you swim is you! Go and have a good time, meet some new people, and be happy with your performance.
At Nationals in Mesa I was throwing up from food poisoning all night and into the morning before I had to swim the 400 IM. I still went to the meet, did a 100 yard warm up then swam the best I could. I was 100-150 behind the others in my heat but I never felt like anyone was lurking over my lane wanting to fish me out because of my speed. The first time I swam the 200 fly at a local meet I was the last one to finish. Everyone at the pool clapped and in the warm down pool several people I didn't know gave me a pat on the back for even doing that race.

That Guy
May 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Really the only person who cares how fast you swim is you! Go and have a good time, meet some new people, and be happy with your performance.
At Nationals in Mesa I was throwing up from food poisoning all night and into the morning before I had to swim the 400 IM. I still went to the meet, did a 100 yard warm up then swam the best I could. I was 100-150 behind the others in my heat but I never felt like anyone was lurking over my lane wanting to fish me out because of my speed. The first time I swam the 200 fly at a local meet I was the last one to finish. Everyone at the pool clapped and in the warm down pool several people I didn't know gave me a pat on the back for even doing that race.

Reasonably accurate seed times will set people's expectations appropriately. If someone is seeded at 15:00.00 for the 500 free, and sure enough their first 100 takes around 3 minutes, then things are proceeding according to plan. Then if that person is on the verge of finishing under 15:00, don't be surprised to hear some yelling and hollering from other swimmers during the last 25.

Just get in there and have fun. I was dead last in my age group recently in the 100 breastroke. I'm probably the only one that noticed. And I didn't even care since I went a best time! :banana:

jaadams1
May 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Just get in there and have fun. I was dead last in my age group recently in the 100 breastroke. I'm probably the only one that noticed. And I didn't even care since I went a best time! :banana:

THere was more than one in the age group, correct? ;)

aztimm
May 30th, 2012, 04:48 AM
While I agree most people at masters meets are positive, there are a few who aren't.

I've only done 1 USMS nationals, back when my team hosted it in 2003. After my 2nd event, the 200 yard breast, I was chatting with another guy in the warm-down pool. He asked me what my time was. I don't even remember the time, but it was good for me, and I don't think I was last in my heat. After I told him, he said, "it's people like you who make these meets so long." Mind you, this was after helping with timing, running around on deck, pretty much whatever my coaches asked. I ended up scratching my last event.

That comment turned me off from meets for over 7 years. I finally got back to swimming some meets 2 years ago, and everyone was very positive.
But I've decided I'll never do another national meet, unless I can qualify for at least one event. I purposely planned a weekend out of town last year when nationals was back in the area.

While 99% of masters swimmers are positive and encouraging, it is that 1% who can be especially harsh.

knelson
May 30th, 2012, 10:44 AM
While 99% of masters swimmers are positive and encouraging, it is that 1% who can be especially harsh.

God, I hope it's more like 0.1%. Someone makes a comment like that you can't let it affect you. Clearly this person was a sociopath.

Rob Copeland
May 30th, 2012, 11:08 AM
he said, "it's people like you who make these meets so long.":eeew:

Yes, it’s people like you and like me and like my mother, my childern and thousands of us swimming at Masters meets that makes them so long. And in the immortal words of another Tim "God bless us, every one!":turkey:

mlabresh
May 30th, 2012, 11:12 AM
While I agree most people at masters meets are positive, there are a few who aren't.

I've only done 1 USMS nationals, back when my team hosted it in 2003. After my 2nd event, the 200 yard breast, I was chatting with another guy in the warm-down pool. He asked me what my time was. I don't even remember the time, but it was good for me, and I don't think I was last in my heat. After I told him, he said, "it's people like you who make these meets so long." Mind you, this was after helping with timing, running around on deck, pretty much whatever my coaches asked. I ended up scratching my last event.

That comment turned me off from meets for over 7 years. I finally got back to swimming some meets 2 years ago, and everyone was very positive.
But I've decided I'll never do another national meet, unless I can qualify for at least one event. I purposely planned a weekend out of town last year when nationals was back in the area.

Thank you for sharing that, Tim. I'd hate to go into it expecting everyone to be all sunshine and rainbows and then have something like that happen. I think that would make me think twice about going to another meet too! Especially if that ended up being the only person I talked to.

I'll just have to make sure to find some nice people and stick with them. :Lurking:

Allen Stark
May 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM

I am so sorry for your experience. I know there are jerks everywhere,but I always felt that there were fewer in Masters.

ElaineK
May 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM

I've only done 1 USMS nationals, back when my team hosted it in 2003. After my 2nd event, the 200 yard breast, I was chatting with another guy in the warm-down pool. He asked me what my time was. I don't even remember the time, but it was good for me, and I don't think I was last in my heat. After I told him, he said, "it's people like you who make these meets so long."

That is really unfortunate; I'm sorry that happened to you. How completely cold and rude of that :censor: to say that to you!

I was fortunate to have just the opposite experience at my first Nationals. In addition to what I posted earlier in this thread, I would like to share something else that had a lasting impression on me:

I don't remember, now, if it was after the 200 breaststroke or 100, but, I was greeted at the wall at the end of my race by somebody* I had never met in person before; another swimmer who had read my posts on the forums and had commented on my the breaststroke videos I had posted. He gave me excellent, constructive feedback about my race, complimenting me on what I did well and suggesting what I could do better. It was great feedback! And, this was somebody who had to prepare for a breaststroke race of his own, in an upcoming heat. But, he took the time, without me knowing he was going to watch my race, to be there afterwards to coach me. :angel: And, he has done it at every Nationals we have both been to since. Even his wife was there to cheer me on at a couple of them!

THAT is what USMS is about and should be about; not catering to jerks like the one who was so rude to you.

*By the way, that 'somebody' was Allen Stark, who I like to affectionately call "King Frog", because he is the most humble non-egotistical person I have met (besides my husband who very intelligent and talented, but humble to a fault). (King Frog will be the last to tell you how good he is, but he broke the world record in 200m breaststroke at Auburn Nationals.)

So, K.F., now that I have embarrassed you, :bolt:

mlabresh
May 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM
That's really good to hear. :)

I know I could certainly use some help with my stroke! Since I don't have a coach, and never have, and don't really have any way to get video of my swimming.. I have no feedback!

So, being a self-taught, self-coached swimmer, I'm looking forward to meeting some other swimmers and getting some pointers on how I can improve.

And, yes, I can ask the coach of my Masters group for help, but I happen to be very shy and don't even know what to ask. :blush: I've talked to him about teaching me to dive and working on starts with me next week, so maybe when we do that I'll ask him for some help in other areas.

Giotto84
May 31st, 2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, I have been the slowest swimmer in my event! The first time I tried the 400 yard IM in high school, I was 16 year old. Since there were so few people interested in the event, they combined all of us together, so I was swimming with the 14-15 year old girls, who all kicked my ass. A little humiliating, especially when I puked in the gutter afterward. But in hindsight its kind of a funny story, right? So to stay positive, use humor! You made it by the skin of your teeth and get to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the club (watch the movie Caddy Shack) Embrace it! Congrats.

mlabresh
June 1st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ha ha! Thanks, Tim. :)

You know what's funny is that I don't even feel nervous about swimming until I start thinking 'what if I'm NOT last?'. I think that the idea of doing well adds just enough pressure that it makes me nervous. I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of getting my butt kicked.. I'm in it just to have fun and see how well I can do for me! :banana:

__steve__
June 4th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Was of the slower half in my events last weekend. In-fact, 4 seconds slower than my best in the 100, but made 1st place in all of them:). I love early season LCM.

ElaineK
June 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Was of the slower half in my events last weekend. In-fact, 4 seconds slower than my best in the 100, but made 1st place in all of them:). I love early season LCM.

Were you at the Athens meet, Steve? If so, check out the photo album I just posted on my profile. :D

__steve__
June 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yep! Talked to you for a moment regarding the perceived extended length of long course "Are we there yet?". Definitely true, especially if you haven't seen long course all year. I thought I had a stroke after the 100 because my arms went numb lol.

ElaineK
June 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Yep! Talked to you for a moment regarding the perceived extended length of long course "Are we there yet?". Definitely true, especially if you haven't seen long course all year. I thought I had a stroke after the 100 because my arms went numb lol.

I remember that moment, however, I can't picture you right now. Hey, send me a photo, so I can put you all together in my mind! :D I wish I would have known there was another Forumite in the house. "Debaru" was visiting me from Arizona and "PatrickJM" was there, as well. Wookiee was supposed to be there, but he was a no-show.

It would have been fun to get the Forumites together! :agree:

__steve__
June 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
My driver's license picture is probably posted on the Washington Municipal Court bulletin board now that I'm registered as a "super speeder" in the state of Georgia.:bitching:

$375 ticket issued by the fine highway patrol there. I was at a solid 68mph in the 55, but he cited me at 77mph adding another 9 mph!

Slowswim
June 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I've only been to two meets (I thought you had to meet qualifying times for Nationals...I learned something). I was definately DFL but at the meets I swam you were seeded by time so we all finished close together.

Only the results sheets told me I was DFL and so what?

My advice would be to set a reasonable goal time and a stretch goal. Then relax and enjoy the race. If you hit your stretch goal...serious fist pumping is a must!!!!:banana::bliss::banana:

I am new to swimming and heartily agree with what has been said here: the event, the race , and meeting Formites will make for a very memroable event!

BabsVa
June 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Oh I have. Why shouldn't I be: I started swimming in later middle age. Any event I have swum in has been a first. Really I have a lot of chutzpah just showing up. :)

jaadams1
June 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
USMS Times Reported for Men LCM 200 Fly Ages 35-39
2012 Season (2011-10-01 through 2012-09-30)

# NameAgeTime ClubMeet
1 Patterson, Thomas J352:32.74 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1832942) 1776GPAC LC Derby 2012 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20120506GPACDBL)
2 Valle, Marc A382:37.11 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1840611) ARIZ2012 Mission Viejo Nadadores LCM Swim Meet (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20120520MVNMLCL)
3 Rogers, Abraham E393:02.85 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1844421) NEM2012 New England LMSC LCM Championships (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20120603bostonL)
4 Beach, Timothy J353:06.51 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1833765) HOPKMinnesota Masters LCM Championship (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20120513MNLCML)
5 Kwa, Ken K393:28.29 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1844392) NEM2012 New England LMSC LCM Championships (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20120603bostonL)
6 Adams, James A353:30.40 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1845574) HMSSWAT Summer Plunge Meet (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20120609PLUNGEL)

FindingMyInnerFish
June 18th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I'm often last in swim meets, except at Senior Games, where I manage to finish ahead of people in their 80s/90s (I'm 61). I know a woman in her 70s who is so fast, I can't even be in her heats, let alone catch her.

Sometimes I can hit goals that are good for me, but even so are not going to send sponsors knocking at my door (unless they come to persuade me to wear their competitors' brand of swimsuits lol!).

Even so, I find for the most part a very encouraging, positive environment.

A shame about that guy who made the nasty comment to Aztimm--what a jerk! Haven't had that experience in a swim meet, although once, in a mile run (part of a bunch of events from the mile to the 20k, this race festival hasn't been held in years, yet I still remember the incident), I placed in my age group of ... oh, maybe 3? The way it worked was that if you saw you'd placed, you'd go to the award table and they'd give you your medal.

That was the theory anyway. When I arrived at the table, a man asked me what my time was--I did about 7:30. "Well, it's not a 4:30," he sniffed. And a woman chimed in, "Anyway, we're short on awards so we're saving them for the younger people"--now her remark would have come across as reasonable had it not been paired with the man's. But the two of them together succeeded in making me feel I was out of bounds even thinking of asking for an award even though the race flyer had advertised awards in both children's and adults' age groups.

If it had been some random runner who'd made these comments, I might have considered returning to the race. You get weirdness from time to time when crowds gather for something. But I felt so miffed at the attitude of these officials, I vowed not to return to this race.

Since then, I won't say I developed a thick skin, but I do think that my goals matter more than some stranger's insensitivity, and if someone feels the need to belittle me or my performances, their opinion of me falls in importance. Honest, constructive critiques, yes--gratuitous putdowns... I don't have the time or desire to carry that person's demons in my head. They can do their own heavy lifting! :)

That Guy
June 19th, 2012, 01:15 AM
A shame about that guy who made the nasty comment to Aztimm--what a jerk! Wasn't me. In fact, I am Assistant Sergeant At Arms of the Aztimm Fan Club. We meet trimonthly at the bowling alley. :carolers:

ElaineK
June 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Wasn't me. In fact, I am Assistant Sergeant At Arms of the Aztimm Fan Club. We meet trimonthly at the bowling alley. :carolers:

:rolleyes: I can always count on you to be the next poster after I read "that guy" in a post. But, the fun part is seeing how you spin it! :lmao:

Thanks for making my flight delay out of Chicago a more humorous one! :applaud:

That Guy
June 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes: I can always count on you to be the next poster after I read "that guy" in a post. But, the fun part is seeing how you spin it! :lmao:

Is it wrong that I read that with air quotes?

FindingMyInnerFish
June 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Oops, caught! :blush: But I meant a different "That Guy"--someone who always tries to get The "That Guy" into trouble! ;)

That Guy
June 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Oops, caught! :blush: But I meant a different "That Guy"--someone who always tries to get The "That Guy" into trouble! ;)
i am so confused right now

ElaineK
June 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM

"that guy" is always "That Guy" to That Guy, no matter which "that guy" you are talking about. :D

P.S. That Guy: I got that right, didn't I? :bolt:

That Guy
June 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
"that guy" is always "That Guy" to That Guy, no matter which "that guy" you are talking about. :D

P.S. That Guy: I got that right, didn't I? :bolt:

i... i... don't know anymore

ElaineK
June 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
i... i... don't know anymore

:bighug: Awww, did I make your head hurt thinking it? :D

smontanaro
June 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM
There is that other guy too... (Can't remember his name.)

S

FindingMyInnerFish
June 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM
i am so confused right now

:)

mjtyson
June 26th, 2012, 03:49 AM
You're not having fun until you're swimming a 5K with dozens of late teen swimmers.

I swam a 5K in Cyprus some years ago and was horrified when I showed up and realized that my closest competitor, age-wise, was 20 (and I was 43). And horrified a second time when I had to go up to the wall to learn my number, and there I was with number 1 and my name at the top of the list with birth year 1967. Below me was 1996, 1995, etc.

Younguns approached me before the swim to talk to me about the "half marathon" and I realized early that they thought I was some sort of pro or ultra-fast swimmer, thus the #1 on my back and shoulders.

I came in only about 45 minutes before the first 10K swimmer came in.

__steve__
June 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I came in only about 45 minutes before the first 10K swimmer came in.Well, the kids probably thought you came in 45 minutes earlier than the rest of the 10k field.