PDA

View Full Version : is a :49 possible?

JasonMorris22
May 26th, 2012, 11:59 PM
ok so I'm a junior in high school. I know I already asked the question of the possibility of being able to go down to a :51 in the 100 yard freestyle. But do you even think I have any possibility of going a :49 next year? I think I could probably go about a :54 right now (haven't had a meet in awhile, last time went a :55). It's the beginning of summer for me and I'm going to be swimming 6 times a week (2.5 hours a day) and working out with p90x 6 times a week. Our swim season will start at the end of november. Do you think the workout program I've got going right now is good or should I change it up a bit? oh and I'm also drinking protein drinks after my workouts and practices.

Swimosaur
May 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
... do you even think I have any possibility of going a :49 next year?

Anything is possible for the young! There is no way to predict how much your physiology will evolve over the next few months, given the rigorous workout program you describe.

One thing you did not mention in your plan is stroke mechanics. Study elite freestylers, videotape yourself, and make sure you are the model of impeccably pure mechanics and flawless technique. Starts, breakouts, turns ... everything matters. Eliminate all errors, and you will succeed!

You youngsters can accomplish amazing things! But stay off my lawn!

Fins25
May 28th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Only you know the answer to that one. Going from a 55 to a 49 is an enormous jump but anything is possible. The hard work is important but you will not get to 49 without good technique.

I spent some time watching Van Den Hoogenbands training and was amazed by how much slow swimming he did. He had a major focus on his technique and stroke count.

So I would say to you to do all the hard work but be sure to also slow down and spend hours and hours on your technique.

Good luck

Calvin S
May 28th, 2012, 09:48 AM
You need to approach every practice with the mentality that you want to break :50. Example: When I was younger and wanted to break 5:00 for the first time in the 500, my coach explained to me that going under 5:00 meant I needed to train like I wanted to go under 5:00. All best average/500 pace workouts needed to be under 1:00 pace, because if I couldn't hold repeat 100s under 1:00, how was I going to be able to do 5 of them non-stop? Approach every practice like "what can I do today to make :49 attainable?" It might be something little, like focusing on fast turns, or practicing pushing through that last 25 when you feel like you are about to die.

good luck (caveat: I have never broken :50 in the 100 FR before)

Michael Heather
May 28th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yes, it is possible. When I was a junior, my fastest time was 52.7, doing much less work that you are now doing. As a senior, I went 50.4 doing essentially the same workouts with little coaching. Youth has its advantages.

All of the above posters are right, but when push comes to shove, make sure that you have plenty of rest before your big swim. Keep off of your feet as much as possible.

Swim the race as much as possible in the season so you can get good feedback from your own experience and you coach's critique. Fine tune and stay focused. Don't worry about the actual time, worry about the preparation. If you prepare well, you will be rewarded. Good luck.

E=H2O
May 28th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I think for you to go :49 you will first have to know that you can. It's time to let go of whatever artificial limitations you have mentally incorporated into your goal setting. That is the first step and the last step. In between is a lot of hard work making it happen.

Funny story: When I was a sophomore in high school I decided to try out for the HS swim team. I had never swam on a team, and in fact I never had a swim lesson. But I believed I was a good swimmer so I went for it. My 50 yd tryout was a :34.4 and I found myself begging the coach to let me on the team. Less than 6 months later I swam a 25.4. Somebody forgot to tell me that no one drops 10 secs in a 50 in 6 months; and I am glad no one ever did.

Allen Stark
May 28th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I may not have this story exactly right ,so bear with me.Ed Moses started competitive swimming late (16 or 17) and showed early promise in breaststroke.He asked what a good time for the 100 breast was and they told him what the state record was.That was his goal.I think he missed the record by a couple of tenths his senior year but he still won state and went on to be an Olympian.His coach said Ed was the only one who thought he could do it,but since he didn't know it was impossible he went for it.
"What ever you can do,or dream you can,begin it.Boldness has genius,power and magic in it."(by W.H.Murray.)

Maui Mike
May 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, it is possible. When I was a junior, my fastest time was 52.7, doing much less work that you are now doing. As a senior, I went 50.4 doing essentially the same workouts with little coaching. Youth has its advantages. . . .

Pretty close to my same senior year drop! And the next year, as a college freshman, I rolled a 47.4 in a relay where a 48.0 would not have gotten the job done.
So my advice, to go with all the good advice you've already been given, is focus on winning a race that the current favorite is faster than your best time. Convince yourself that you must win and that you will win. Make that your default attitude. Then, as I have previously posted, no matter what happens act like you did win. And be gracious to the poor fellow you just blindsided.

JasonMorris22
May 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Oh my goodness alright thanks guys! I will take what you guys have told me and all out go for it. I guess I didn't realize how important technique was. THANK YOU!!!

ande
May 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
ok so I'm a junior in high school.
I know I already asked the question of the possibility of being able to go down to a :51 in the 100 yard freestyle. But do you even think I have any possibility of going a :49 next year?
I think I could probably go about a :54 right now (haven't had a meet in awhile, last time went a :55). It's the beginning of summer for me and I'm going to be swimming 6 times a week (2.5 hours a day) and working out with p90x 6 times a week.
Our swim season will start at the end of november.
Do you think the workout program I've got going right now is good or should I change it up a bit?
oh and I'm also drinking protein drinks after my workouts and practices.

YES Its possible though 54 is pretty far from 49

You must develop the ability to do it.

Train with a team.
Get a great coach.
Get stronger
Get faster.

to go 49.99
you need to split it

24.49 25.49
or
24.24 25.74
or
23.99 25.99

you have to have the strength and speed to go out in
23.99 to 24.49 and the conditioning to come back in 25.49 to 25.99
Your 50 needs to be 22.49 to 22.99

How did you split your race when you went 54?

Get to work and see what you can accomplish.
get to where you can go 51 or 50 in practice and you'll be fine

Good luck,

Ande

Swim Faster Faster can help you
U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster