PDA

View Full Version : Kick set technique

vo2
May 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
So after a 19 year hiatus I'm back to swimming Masters. Have been swimming on my own the past 3 years and got the urge to get in with the group again.

Having neglected kick sets for way too long I'm just having some real issues that I'm hoping will get better. My neck and low back are just dying. I cannot seem to get any kind of position that will allow me to kick more than a couple of hundred yards b/f my neck and low back say no more. It's frustrating b/c my legs say 'let's kick', but the rest of me won't cooperate.

I feel as though my lats are engaged and I'm stretched out, not sure if that is right, but what I have been told to do.

I have resorted to just doing streamline kick sets rotating for a breath b/c the kick board just destroys me for the rest of the workout.

Thanks for any tips.

__steve__
May 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Introdurre il snorkel:)

Warren
May 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Using a snorkel with a kick board will take pressure off of your shoulder, back, and neck. It's also great for kicking without a board and drills because you don't have to worry about turning your head to breath. This is the standard swimmers snorkel- http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1221.htm?color=10804 . I recommend getting one. It's a great piece of equipment and a must have if you are training for freestyle.

Rich Abrahams
May 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM
So after a 19 year hiatus I'm back to swimming Masters. Have been swimming on my own the past 3 years and got the urge to get in with the group again.

Having neglected kick sets for way too long I'm just having some real issues that I'm hoping will get better. My neck and low back are just dying. I cannot seem to get any kind of position that will allow me to kick more than a couple of hundred yards b/f my neck and low back say no more. It's frustrating b/c my legs say 'let's kick', but the rest of me won't cooperate.

I feel as though my lats are engaged and I'm stretched out, not sure if that is right, but what I have been told to do.

I have resorted to just doing streamline kick sets rotating for a breath b/c the kick board just destroys me for the rest of the workout.

Thanks for any tips.

I had your exact problem. Learn to kick on your back. It's probably a little harder, but your neck and low back problems will go away.

vo2
May 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I had your exact problem. Learn to kick on your back. It's probably a little harder, but your neck and low back problems will go away.

Thanks for the responses all. I will try some back kicking tonight and see how that stacks up. If not liking it maybe the snorkel will find it's way....