PDA

View Full Version : Pool - self test strips

AJDawg
June 1st, 2012, 12:36 PM
This article give me pause for swimming in a public place.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/swimming-pools-public-toilet-bowls-many-survey-193700688.html

Does anybody but testing strips at the drugstore and use them before getting in the pool for a workout?

swimshark
June 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM
I love the caption under the picture! I am almost certain that my neighborhood pool has a lot of pee in it. It just opened last weekend and the guards are less than stellar in cleaning and such.

Allen Stark
June 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM
Oh good grief.Urine is not a particular source for bacteria.In healthy people urine is sterile.It does bond with chlorine to form harmful compounds and I don't recommend using the pool as a urinal,but it isn't a public health menace.Not showering,especially not showering after a land workout and then treating the pool as your personal bathtub are a bigger issue.

Mini Shark
June 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM
If you're worried about bacteria in public pools, water parks, hot tubs, etc., it's not a big deal.

There are other very serious risks -such as car accidents which kill over 40,000 every year, yet millions of people routinely ignore the danger.

By the way many people in India actually swim in water that's 1000 times more polluted than anything you'd find in the U.S.:

Ganges River - Pollution - YouTube

For some reason, they don't contract any illnesses.