PDA

View Full Version : New coach here! Challenges and advice for the newbie??

Paredes
June 2nd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Hello,

Well to introduce myself my name is Alex Paredes, and I was recently hired as a coach to my local USA swimming club the Pueblo West Stingrays! (Please don't kill me if USA swimming coaches aren't allowed here :afraid: )

I've been swimming all my life, and recently just finished an amazing season with my high school team ( won our second league championship in our school's history yeah! ). With my year round training with the stingrays, the kids really respect me and they refer to me as the "Phelps of Pueblo". With that much respect, they listen to whatever I ask them to and that's probably one of the biggest reasons I was hired.

Anyway just thought since I'm new to coaching, what should I expect? Any warnings of something I might not see coming? I do admit it's different of what I expected. So far the only challenge I found was distinguishing different techniques to different kinds of swimmers since all swimmers aren't made the same.

I am coaching both boys and girls the youngest being 11 and the oldest 18.

Thank you in advance! :)

Kevin in MD
June 4th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hello,
Anyway just thought since I'm new to coaching, what should I expect? Any warnings of something I might not see coming?

Your limiters are not their limiters, this is the biggest thing I see with new athletes turned into coaches. They think that the things they had to overcome are the same things their athletes will need to overcome. They think that the way they were taught is the best way to be taught.

Get yourself the asca schools and get through all of them. Once you do that, you have just begun, at that point you will have ONE take on stroke technique, ONE take on how to apply exercise physiology, and ONE take on team organization etc. There are many and no one single one is correct, or correct for your situation.

The next resource I'd go to would be "Championship Swim Training" and then dive into "Swimming Fastest" from there, you should at least be conversant in the major theories at play and can work them into your own work. The swim coaching bible is also quite good.

I guess the overall thing I'd say is that right now you probably know how to be a good swimming athlete, but now you need to become a good swimming coach. Those are two different things without the carry over you would expect there to be.

Good luck.