PDA

View Full Version : I am now a Swim Coach!

Couroboros
June 4th, 2012, 02:20 AM
So, last month, I applied for and got a job with my swim club. Six evenings a week, I will be coaching small groups of kids who are at the pre-competitive level, kids who have moved on from our swim school and are on the cusp of moving into the competitive teams.

I don't make the workouts for weekday practices, but on weekends I get to improvise. So far, I'm enjoying the training, but I'm wondering what coaches do to stop their voices from getting a bit hoarse. What do you guys think? What do you find is most important about coaching little kids, from ages 5-8 or so?

Also, as an aside, I will be tapering come the beginning of July for my end-of-season meet. It's hard to believe the taper is now just a month away. Do you guys think I should take the second week of my taper off from working and find substitutes for that week? I just ask because I've always read here on the forums here and there in threads about tapers that you want to stay off your feet.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

jaadams1
June 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Also, as an aside, I will be tapering come the beginning of July for my end-of-season meet. It's hard to believe the taper is now just a month away. Do you guys think I should take the second week of my taper off from working and find substitutes for that week? I just ask because I've always read here on the forums here and there in threads about tapers that you want to stay off your feet.

I work a pretty physically demanding job for the most part (as compared to some "desk jockeys" out there), and I just do my taper in the pool when it comes to taper time. The rest of your life you just have to deal with as an adult. Just take it easy as best you can, without interferring with your normal life.

gobears
June 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I don't make the workouts for weekday practices, but on weekends I get to improvise. So far, I'm enjoying the training, but I'm wondering what coaches do to stop their voices from getting a bit hoarse. What do you guys think? What do you find is most important about coaching little kids, from ages 5-8 or so?

Congratulations! This year, for the first time, I bought a $35 megaphone from Amazon for precisely this reason. I normally coach masters during the year but add summer league for a couple months in Spring/Summer. That's a lot of yelling for my old voice. I figured I'd look a bit dorky, but I wasn't going to lose my voice this year.

It was totally worth the money. The kids actually shut up and look at you when you are using voice amplification! We ended up buying two more for our summer league coaches. I got mine off Amazon.

IMO, having fun, learning the fundamentals of each stroke and learning to practice things correctly are the priorities for that age.

(As far as taper goes, I can't say I've ever tapered enough to be off the deck, so I don't know what you should do!)

knelson
June 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
The rest of your life you just have to deal with as an adult.

I agree. It would show a pretty serious lack of commitment to take a week off from your job just a month into it.

ande
June 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM
congratulations

I'm wondering what coaches do to stop their voices from getting a bit hoarse. What do you guys think?
Don't yell.
gather the kids in one lane when you give them their assignment.
use a kick board or noodle to get a kids attention when you want to speak to him

What do you find is most important about coaching little kids, from ages 5-8 or so?
Make it FUN,
play games
teach skills
praise them
encourage them
Tell them they are awesome and born to do incredible things

Do you guys think I should take the second week of my taper off from working and find substitutes for that week?
NO
just spend more time sitting

smontanaro
June 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
use a kick board or noodle to get a kids attention when you want to speak to him

My algebra teacher used to fling an eraser in my direction... :D

S

gobears
June 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM
congratulations

I'm wondering what coaches do to stop their voices from getting a bit hoarse. What do you guys think?
Don't yell.
gather the kids in one lane when you give them their assignment.

All well and good when you don't have 11 kids per lane in a 6 lane outdoor pool! Besides, sometimes you have to get excited or silly and cheer people on loudly as they go. I'd be lost without my loud voice while coaching kids:cheerleader:

quicksilver
June 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Congratulations as well.

When one of my kids was younger I spent a few years helping out as an assistant coach. It was lot's of fun, especially when you see them all making improvements.

I never yelled, and could never figure out why the head coach thought they would be able to hear his yelling through their swim caps and all the water splashing around.

My method was to get a small pull buoy and softly toss it in front of their path of travel if I needed their attention.

swimon90
June 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
So, last month, I applied for and got a job with my swim club. Six evenings a week, I will be coaching small groups of kids who are at the pre-competitive level, kids who have moved on from our swim school and are on the cusp of moving into the competitive teams.

I coach about 3 hours a day during the school year and 5-6 in the summer each day. I never found it an issue when tapering just try to get extra rest (naps, downtime, etc) when you can.

Fins25
June 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Congratulations on the job.

I am a teacher and coach so talk lots throughout the day. It takes a little while for the voive to adjust, but I try not to talk too much (especially loudly).

you will be surprised that you probably don't have to yell. They will hear you as lond as you are talking in their direction. For specific technique instruction I tend to get a swimmer out of the water for a demonstration and quick discussion. This allows me to talk at my normal volume rather than shouting.

Good luck with it