PDA

View Full Version : Immunizations?

slow
June 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Besides the "routine" immunizations how many open water swimmers have taken extra shots to protect themselves?

In a thread from 2007 some people said they had gotten Hepatitis A and/or Hepatitis B shots. I looked around the CDC website and saw where Typhoid and Rabies shots might be a good idea.

Is this overkill? What are other people doing?

MickYoung
June 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I suppose it depends on the specific open water.

I swim in lakes in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - and I don't feel the slightest urge to immunize for that.

But I also swim in Pittsburgh rivers and all those mentioned above seem like a good idea for that. Next time I get a physical I'll mention it to my doc.

ourswimmer
June 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I swim in places that receive discharge from sewage treatment plants (SF Bay and other parts of the Pacific Ocean, Lake Michigan). So I got a Hep A vaccine, on my then-doctor's advice. Hep A is transmitted by contaminated food or water; and I sometimes do drink the venue despite my best efforts; and sewage treatment plants sometimes do have problems.

Typhoid is also transmitted by food or water, but no doctor ever has suggested that vaccine to me for OW swimming. It is important for "third world" travel. An oral tpyhoid vaccine exists that my doctor says confers better immunity than the injectable vaccine, and I took it before my last trip to sub-Saharan Africa.

No doctor has ever suggested to me that swimming increases my risk of exposure to Hep B or rabies.

chaos
June 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM
hep A only for me.... and I keep my tetanus up to date.

orca1946
June 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
We got a TON of shots for travel into Kenya-tanzania , so I guess we would be covered!

slow
June 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks, I am going to only get shots for Hepatitis A (already have current Tetanus shot). The other stuff sounded like a stretch but just wanted to hear from experienced swimmers.