PDA

View Full Version : swimming in Chicago

HJR
June 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I am going to be in downtown Chicago for a few days. Any suggestions on a place to swim?

ElaineK
June 11th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I am going to be in downtown Chicago for a few days. Any suggestions on a place to swim?

http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Search2.cfm

I'll be there, too, June 13-17, before my friend and I go to visit her relatives. We'll be playing tourist, though, and she is a non-swimmer. I'm bringing my suit, but I am not too hopeful...

ViveBene
June 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Chicago Masters is friendly to drop-ins. www.chicagomasters.com (http://www.chicagomasters.com)
Contact is on the site.

smontanaro
June 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Search2.cfm

I'll be there, too, June 13-17, before my friend and I go to visit her relatives. We'll be playing tourist, though, and she is a non-swimmer. I'm bringing my suit, but I am not too hopeful...

Still, give a shout. Would love to meet, pool or not.

Skip

ourswimmer
June 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Chicago Masters is friendly to drop-ins. www.chicagomasters.com (http://www.chicagomasters.com)
Contact is on the site.

I concur. Email the coach, Paul Moniak, and he'll likely respond promptly and welcome you to a workout. The campus is not far south of the Loop and is easy to get to on transit. I dropped in with them a few weeks ago and had a very nice visit.

I also exchanged some email with the coach of the Chicago Smelts (http://www.chicagosmelts.org/), who was welcoming as well but I did not end up visiting them.

Or you could swim in Lake Michigan! Several of the beaches have guarded swimming areas if you are solo, and the folks at Open Water Chicago (http://openwaterchicago.com/) sometimes go out in small groups, very early.

ElaineK
June 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Skip

I just sent you an e-mail...

ElaineK
June 15th, 2012, 10:28 PM

Skip

It was great meeting you, here, in Chicago, Skip! Thanks for joining me, my friend, Laura, and bzaks1424 (Michael) for Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza! It was fun finally getting to enjoy deep dish pizza in Chicago and meet up with another Forumite! And, Michael, if you read this, it was great seeing you, again!

:D

smontanaro
June 16th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ditto, Elaine! I'm glad I could help you satisfy your craving for deep dish pizza. I find it interesting that it took you coming in from Atlanta and Laura from California for Michael and me to meet. We only live about 25 miles from each other. For those who don't know, Michael is the ILMSA webmaster and all around computer guru. I am the ILMSA top ten recorder but don't (yet) do Windows. He frequently bails me out by converting Meet Manager backups into CL2 files so I can upload them...

ElaineK
June 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Ditto, Elaine! I'm glad I could help you satisfy your craving for deep dish pizza. I find it interesting that it took you coming in from Atlanta and Laura from California for Michael and me to meet. We only live about 25 miles from each other. For those who don't know, Michael is the ILMSA webmaster and all around computer guru. I am the ILMSA top ten recorder but don't (yet) do Windows. He frequently bails me out by converting Meet Manager backups into CL2 files so I can upload them...

Lou Malnati's sure knows how to do a deep dish pizza up right! That was some tasty pizza! And, pizza is always so much more fun when shared. Hey, I'm glad that's what it took to get you and Michael around the same table! And, Laura had a great time, too, even when she had to put up with our swim talk. :blah:

Hey, speaking of swimming, I just received an e-mail that the Georgia Games pool meet was canceled. :bitching: It looks like my next competition won't be until the Georgia Games Open Water Swim. Oh well; I just may have to attempt my next butterfly mega-swim sooner, rather than later. 1,000+ yards; I'm on it! :D

Hey, I wonder if the OP, HJR, ever found a pool in Chicago. HJR are you out there? How was your trip to Chicago! Isn't this an awesome city? :applaud:

HJR
June 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Lou Malnati's sure knows how to do a deep dish pizza up right! That was some tasty pizza! And, pizza is always so much more fun when shared. Hey, I'm glad that's what it took to get you and Michael around the same table! And, Laura had a great time, too, even when she had to put up with our swim talk. :blah:

Hey, speaking of swimming, I just received an e-mail that the Georgia Games pool meet was canceled. :bitching: It looks like my next competition won't be until the Georgia Games Open Water Swim. Oh well; I just may have to attempt my next butterfly mega-swim sooner, rather than later. 1,000+ yards; I'm on it! :D

Hey, I wonder if the OP, HJR, ever found a pool in Chicago. HJR are you out there? How was your trip to Chicago! Isn't this an awesome city? :applaud:
I am going to Chicago tomorrow and have been in touch with Paul Moniak to swim with his group. Thanks to all for your help.

HJR
June 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM

I am going to Chicago tomorrow and have been in touch with Paul Moniak to swim with his group. Thanks to all for your help.