PDA

View Full Version : Aerophagia

bob_nohope
June 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Morning all! I've been doing triathlons for a few years and I've been having loads of issues with aerophagia - the swallowing of air while swimming. In the pool this isnt too bad but I still get a bad case of the burps and some bloating afterwards but nothing thats as bad as in a race. I think the mass starts in open water might be something I'm not 100% comfortable with yet and this leads to me being less calm than in the pool and will probably contribute to some eratic breathing and swallowing of air. The worst thing about it is that in races, the air gets into my GI tract and causes severe stomach pains similar to lots of trapped gas when I'm on the run. Probably being on the bike in an aero position and a relatively flat back doesnt help get me burping too much either.

If anyone has any help or advice or tricks to stop this I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks in advance.

Type1Racegirl
June 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
that's a weird one. I don't get that, but what I do get after the swim leg is extreme nausea the first 5K or so of the bike - without fail. I've never actually gotten sick, but I find it impossible to take in any solids on the entire bike because of it - though usually the nausea passes after the first 5-10K. anyway, one thing I do during the beginning of the bike leg is take it slow and sit up more - in other words, NOT be in the aero position. once the dizziness and nausea passes and I'm breathing comfortably, I get down and start taking in calories in liquid form.

another thought, are you emptying your lungs completely before coming up for air when you breathe? have you tried different breathing patterns to see if that has any effect? breathing every other stroke vs. breaking every third stroke, etc.

Type1Racegirl
June 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
sorry, double post