PDA

View Full Version : Swim Suit Quality

PatrickJM
June 30th, 2012, 11:08 AM
My two practice suits (jammers) were both so stretched and ripped they couldn't be worn separately, so I usually wore them together. Now they're at the point where they can't be worn at all without acting as parachutes or falling off entirely (okay, no parachute!). I hate the thought of pulling a good competition suit into daily use but I guess I have to for now.

So do you folks usually spend for a more expensive suit that might last, or the closeout suits that probably won't? And what is the best fabric for a daily-use suit? -all the online descriptions say is how 'fast' they are. I thought of buying a triathlon suit that's supposed to endure a bicycle seat -anything that would last more than six months.

So what jammer-style suits are good for day after day use? And yes I'll rinse them with cold water, promise.

ElaineK
June 30th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Patrick, the most durable suits are 50% polyester/50% PBT (a long-lasting, type of polyester). For me, I have found Speedo Endurance + suits to last the longest. Check this one out: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7886.htm

FindingMyInnerFish
June 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I have a Dolfin polyester suit that's held its shape and color for the last year or two--better than any suit I've owned, in fact, and this is in my local swimsuit eating pool.

Sojerz
June 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Patrick, the most durable suits are 50% polyester/50% PBT (a long-lasting, type of polyester). For me, I have found Speedo Endurance + suits to last the longest. Check this one out: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7886.htm

As Elaine indicates, the speedo endurance suits seem to last longest and are probably the best deal for the buck. Search the forum as the topic has been widely discussed. The Endurance suits seem to last about 2-4 times as long as a regular practice jammer and don't seem to stretch out. My last one gave out at the seam, but wasn't stretched out. Ive been getting one size under my pants waist size.

cheakamus
June 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just don't get one with the seam down the middle, because when they blow out, they blow out catastrophically!:afraid:

smontanaro
June 30th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I recently purchased a pair of the Nike jammers. I think they are called "core poly" or something similar. They seem to run larger and are much more stretchy than the Speedo Endurance suits. I'm so far unimpressed and will go back to the Speedo product next time. YMMV.

ElaineK
June 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Just don't get one with the seam down the middle, because when they blow out, they blow out catastrophically!:afraid:

Yeah, that's for sure. The women's suits have a seam down the middle and I ended up unknowingly :mooning:, when I got out of the pool on a cruise ship and bent over to pick up my things off the deck. :blush:

deborahjmaline
June 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Ive often found that out the hard way. So many of my suits in the past had a seam down the middle and they wore out so much quicker ...
This may sound like a stupid question ... but what on earth is the tag on the back of everyone's suit in olympic trials? its like a white tag of some sort.
Ive been researching online and cant find any answers.

hnatkin
June 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
It's a QR code that can be scanned to prove that the suit is FINA approved for competition

__steve__
June 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I still love FSII. Reasonably priced, and after a couple meets - which is a season for me - I just get a new one and use the old for practice as it still holds up. 3 colors available too.

aztimm
July 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
I stock up on suits when they go on sale. Can usually find some $10-15 suits.

On a trip to Portland, OR a few years ago, I found some nylon briefs, and they seem to last forever. I since bought 2 more suits there (2 years ago), and these suits are fantastic.

I only wear briefs tho, for training at least. I own 1 Yingfa jammer ($25) that I've worn for meets. I just don't like the feel of the jammer for swimming (for shorter events at meets it isn't a big deal).

EJB190
July 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Polyester suits are the best. I am partial to the Speedo Endurance+ line. Anything with Lycra/Spandex is going to wear out. First they stretch (quickly) and then begin to fade and the material starts to fall apart. You're better off with the Polyester suits.

Poly suits cost a little bit more, but only $5 or $10. It's definitely worth it.

2fish&1whale
July 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM
I swear by Speedo Endurance +...not Endurance Lite!!...but the most recent one I bought seems to have it's sizing wrong or the fit has changed-I needed a shoe horn to get into it!

couldbebetterfly
July 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Is there a big difference between Endurance+ and Endurance Lite? I've been tempted by the different patterns of Endurance Lite and it reads like there's only a small difference in fabric?

I find the Endurance suits stretch out after a while, so when I get a new one I feel I'm squeezing into it for the first few times...also the Axel back seem to fit a bit bigger than the flyback.

Bobinator
July 1st, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have some Dolfin Uglies suits that I've been wearing for 3 years, I wish they'd wear out! I normally rinse my suits in cold water after swimming and hang them somewhere to drip dry.

orca1946
July 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Any suit with poly will be the best for everyday & long lasting use.
Fit depends on your shape & comfort level.

arthur
July 2nd, 2012, 02:02 AM
My speedo endurance + brief lasted 2.5 years until I was taking it off and put my finger through one of the seams. Since the material still looked almost new I restitched the 3 seams.

2fish&1whale
July 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
Is there a big difference between Endurance+ and Endurance Lite? I've been tempted by the different patterns of Endurance Lite and it reads like there's only a small difference in fabric?

I find the Endurance suits stretch out after a while, so when I get a new one I feel I'm squeezing into it for the first few times...also the Axel back seem to fit a bit bigger than the flyback.

From the feedback I've seen on Swimoutlet (I buy my suits there)the Lite is thinner and more smooth then the traditional Poly material, but also seems to wear out a bit faster. I Don't mind the thinner material so much, I liked the Nike poly suits for that reason-though discovered quickly that the fabric 'blew apart' after a few month.
I have a DD chest and have to choose the material, cut and size carefully. I swear by fly-back suits, the wide band across the back adds support, and still allows me to have a suit with thin straps. I just started using a suit that was labeled as a Endurance+, though I have a suspicion it may be a Lite. I guess I'll know in a couple of month!