PDA

View Full Version : New to Swimming

scrabblegirl
June 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I'm scrabblegirl and new to the forum. I've been exploring the site and seem like a great place to learn about the sport.

When I turned 40 back in April, I promised myself that I would try to achieve one of my goals in life and that is to learn how to swim. I'm not afraid of going underwater but I can't seem to relax enough to float (prone or supine). I've finally stopped using one hand to hold onto the wall and have begun to use a kick board. But now I'm afraid to let go of the board. I'm going to take lessons. Which type of lessons would be the best route to take -private or group? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the responses. :)

qbrain
July 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I'm scrabblegirl and new to the forum. I've been exploring the site and seem like a great place to learn about the sport.

When I turned 40 back in April, I promised myself that I would try to achieve one of my goals in life and that is to learn how to swim. I'm not afraid of going underwater but I can't seem to relax enough to float (prone or supine). I've finally stopped using one hand to hold onto the wall and have begun to use a kick board. But now I'm afraid to let go of the board. I'm going to take lessons. Which type of lessons would be the best route to take -private or group? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the responses. :)

Start with private and find someone who has experience working with adults that are afraid of the water. Yes, you are not afraid of the water, but someone who works with that stage of training will be a good place for you to start. Your private lessons should be able to take you from your current stage to some basic swimming. Once you are comfortable swimming across the pool and treading water, you can switch to group lessons.

Two suggestions: Learn in a pool (vs a lake or the ocean) and buy some goggles. The pool provides visibility, a solid bottom and minimal waves to deal with as you are first learning. The goggles will help with visibility underwater, save you from clearing your eyes everytime you raise you head out of the water and prevent chlorine from getting in your eyes. You don't need anything special, just something that will be comfortable for your lesson and that keeps water out reasonably well.

Have fun and good luck.

scrabblegirl
July 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you very much for the suggestions. :)

ande
July 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Which type of lessons would be the best route to take -private or group?
PRIVATE, 1 on 1

scrabblegirl
July 23rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Just a little update. I've started my private swimming lessons with a great instructor. We get along great and she has great patience. So far I've learned the breast stroke, swimming with my head above water and treading. I've finally overcame my fear of floating in the prone position. But, the floating on the back is taking a little longer. It's a little scary. But, I'm determined to conquer the fear.