PDA

View Full Version : OMG Michael Phelps...!!

JMiller
June 30th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Wow...!!

quicksilver
July 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Does anyone else want to see Ryan Lochte take him down in a few events?

If not for that 200 back last night (28 minutes before the 200 IM showdown) Ryan looked as if he could have easily beat him.

The 100 fly will also be a good done to watch. Milorad Cavic had posted the fastest 100 fly of the year up until last night with a 51.4 (only 8/100's off of Phelps' 51.32 from yesterday). Cavic said back in May that he was only partially tapered.

lefty
July 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM
History says phelps will drop significant time at the Olympics. Lochte, even in his college days, was only marginally better on second taper. Phelps goes 8/8 again...

mctrusty
July 1st, 2012, 04:35 PM
History says phelps will drop significant time at the Olympics. Lochte, even in his college days, was only marginally better on second taper. Phelps goes 8/8 again...

Phelps is going to be very, very hard to beat. While I don't think he'll go 8/8, I think he'll throw a little cold water on Lochte's party.

orca1946
July 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Going for another 8 = 8 will be a much heralded topic in the news for all of the OLY. If he can do it,?????? , the relays again will be his biggest help.

fatboy
July 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
It will be interesting to see how the media spins this story. If Lochte takes a gold or two over Phelps. Will they call Lochte a "spoiler"?

That Guy
July 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Phelps dropped the 200 free.

http://swimnews.com/News/view/9576

Water Rat
July 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'm leaning towards Lochte. I just have this gut feeling he's worked harder and wants it more. I have no empirical data to support this. Like I said, it's my gut.

I don't know about his prior tapers but I doubt he tapered much for OT's. He said as much last night.

havepoolwillswim
July 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Phelps dropped the 200 free.

http://swimnews.com/News/view/9576

bummer

smontanaro
July 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
I think it's good he dropped the 200. First, the story would have been "can Michael get 8 golds again?", distracting from all the other potentially great stories. It would have added greatly to the pressure on him, which he probably doesn't want. Getting 8 in Beijing required Phelps to be at the top of his game (which he obviously was), but it also required a substantial amount of luck. 100 fly, 4x100 free relay, goggles in the 2fly, etc. It's unlikely his lucky stars would align so perfectly again. Second, given the worldwide competition in the 4x100 free relay, it's unlikely the US will repeat there. There would go the 8 golds and be a big disappointment, at least to NBC.

Dropping the 200fr probably makes for a stronger free relay, lets some other swimmers' stories emerge, and takes a good deal of pressure off Phelps, probably helping him in the other events.

knelson
July 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
goggles in the 2fly

Speaking of this, did anyone else want to throw a brick through their TV when NBC mentioned this incident before the 200 fly finals? They acted like winning the race with filled up goggles was the greatest achievement in sports history. Either Rowdy or Dan Hicks said something to the effect of "...anyone else would have just thrown in the towel, but not Michael!" Oh come on, you're going to just give up in the Olympic finals--in an event you've held the world record in for years because your goggles filled up? Please!

That Guy
July 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Speaking of this, did anyone else want to throw a brick through their TV when NBC mentioned this incident before the 200 fly finals? They acted like winning the race with filled up goggles was th greatest achievement in sports history. Either Rowdy or Dan Hicks said something to the effect of "...anyone else would have just thrown in the towel, but not Michael!" Oh come on, you're going to just give up in the Olympic finals--in an event you've held the world record in for years because your goggles filled up? Please!
My lifetime best 1650 free was completed after my goggles filled with water on the dive. And after the event, I did not throw a snit-fit in the pool. :angel:

havepoolwillswim
July 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
We'll always wonder who would have won the 200 free had Phelps not scratched.

That Guy
July 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
We'll always wonder who would have won the 200 free had Phelps not scratched.
In 2016 we'll wonder what would have happened if he hadn't retired. :shakeshead:

quicksilver
July 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Rowdy can be such a ninny. Maybe the sponsors ask him to say stuff like that. They are paying for the programming afterall, and in turn he's got to cater to whatever spin they might want place on the Phelps hype.

Anyway, here's Lochte's take on his performance...http://swimswam.com/2012/07/ryan-lochte-has-another-level-of-taper/

jaadams1
July 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Speaking of this, did anyone else want to throw a brick through their TV when NBC mentioned this incident before the 200 fly finals? They acted like winning the race with filled up goggles was the greatest achievement in sports history. Either Rowdy or Dan Hicks said something to the effect of "...anyone else would have just thrown in the towel, but not Michael!" Oh come on, you're going to just give up in the Olympic finals--in an event you've held the world record in for years because your goggles filled up? Please!

I also had a lifetime best in my final performance of my 200 Free at Conference Champs my senior year of college with my goggles completely filled up. I chose to swim with them still on my eyes, because I could still partially see vs. trying to rip them from my face and then being truly blind.
Throw in the towel??? Please...:bitching:

aquajock
July 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM

Not really. For someone who's used to racing others, not being able to see the field would be exasperating. And it seems like there would be a lot of potential for swimming crooked in a long course pool. I don't see how it couldn't interfere with the fine points of a race...

gobears
July 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Not really. For someone who's used to racing others, not being able to see the field would be exasperating. And it seems like there would be a lot of potential for swimming crooked in a long course pool. I don't see how it couldn't interfere with the fine points of a race...

I actually agree with Kirk. I rolled my eyes when Rowdy said what he said. I tell my little summer league swimmers to "just keep swimming" when their goggles fall off, for Pete's sake. And almost all of them do!

swim365
July 4th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I think it's good he dropped the 200. First, the story would have been "can Michael get 8 golds again?", distracting from all the other potentially great stories. It would have added greatly to the pressure on him, which he probably doesn't want. Getting 8 in Beijing required Phelps to be at the top of his game (which he obviously was), but it also required a substantial amount of luck. 100 fly, 4x100 free relay, goggles in the 2fly, etc. It's unlikely his lucky stars would align so perfectly again. Second, given the worldwide competition in the 4x100 free relay, it's unlikely the US will repeat there. There would go the 8 golds and be a big disappointment, at least to NBC.

Dropping the 200fr probably makes for a stronger free relay, lets some other swimmers' stories emerge, and takes a good deal of pressure off Phelps, probably helping him in the other events.

I agree to some extent but isn't the story now going to be "why isn't he swimming the 200 free since he won it at the trials and since he's the fastest American ever?" Also, once that dies down, it will be "can he win 7 golds this time around?" So, it seems he will still have a lot of pressure no matter what. Also, I don't really see how this makes for stronger 800 free relay, unless you're thinking 3 less 200 races will allow him to be fresher for the relay.

ElaineK
July 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
...Also, I don't really see how this makes for stronger 800 free relay, unless you're thinking 3 less 200 races will allow him to be fresher for the relay.

That is exactly what Phelps and Bowman said (in U.S.A. Today); Michael wants to be fresh for the relay. At his age, he doesn't feel he can recover quickly enough to give his best effort to the relay. And, the relay is his priority over 200 free.

aquageek
July 4th, 2012, 09:29 AM
At his age, he doesn't feel he can recover quickly enough to give his best effort to the relay. And, the relay is his priority over 200 free.

I don't think age has much to do with it since he is at his peak physical performance age. I suspect he just doesn't want to swim 3 X 200s at trials. As we all know the 200 is the most painful of all races, and really should be avoided at all costs.

ElaineK
July 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I don't think age has much to do with it since he is at his peak physical performance age. I suspect he just doesn't want to swim 3 X 200s at trials. As we all know the 200 is the most painful of all races, and really should be avoided at all costs.

I stand corrected; I quoted the wrong coach. From USA Today: "That's a tough program Michael swims," Olympic men's coach Gregg Troy said. "It's really tough. And he's a little bit older, and those older guys don't recover quite as quickly."

Earlier in the article, Bowman was quoted as saying, "It just makes sense. Nobody should be expected to do that twice. Once was more than enough. Trust me."

smontanaro
July 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Also, I don't really see how this makes for stronger 800 free relay, unless you're thinking 3 less 200 races will allow him to be fresher for the relay.

As I believe others have stated, the 200 free prelims are the same day as the 4x100 free relay. Dropping the 200 will keep him fresher for the relay.

Edit: Let me correct that slightly. It's semis, not prelims (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8325908/London-2012-Olympics-Swimming-schedule.html). On 29 July the men's 200 free semifinals run two events before the men's 4x100 free relay final. The men's 100 breast finals are sandwiched between the two, so there would not a lot of time to recover from the 200 before swimming the relay.

JMiller
July 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
The problem with winning 8 golds in '08 is that 3-4 golds in 2012 would seem like a lesser accomplishment, but it's not.

Backing out of the 200 free seems logical, although it's a clear acknowledgement that repeating history is not possible.

Ryan Lochte will win one of the IM's in London, I'm just not sure if it's going to be on the first day of the meet or the last. He's an incredible competitor and seems very calm standing in Phelps shadow, lighting the darkness with a certain twinkle in his eye.

Milorad Cavic takes the 100 Fly.
:chug:

gdanner
July 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
seems very calm standing in Phelps shadow, lighting the darkness with a certain twinkle in his eye.

it's really nothin new. peirsol was the king of back and lochte was able to eventually (or at least temporarily) overtake him in the 200. should be fun to watch!

Allen Stark
July 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I think his drpping the 200 free is a good idea. For the US to medal is going to require everyone to step up there game and a fresh Phelps helps that.To win the relay will require 4 great swims.
I think Lochte should take the 400 IM on the basis of his better BR.I expect Phelps to win the 200 IM as I think the 200 BK,200 IM double will prove to be too much.I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

swim365
July 5th, 2012, 12:47 AM

Ya, I agree age has very little to do with it since he really is at his peak physical performance age range of 27 to 32, or at least that is what I've read is the range. I know cycling is a completely different sport but Lance won his 7 TdF's from age 27 to 33. Ya, he probably doped but so did most of his competitors. I think the swimming world is just still so used to people "retiring" at age 22 or so that they don't see the bigger picture. For anyone to claim that at 27 they don't recover as well is just whitewash, IMO.

JMiller
July 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
The problem with winning 8 golds in '08 is that 3-4 golds in 2012 would seem like a lesser accomplishment, but it's not.

Backing out of the 200 free seems logical, although it's a clear acknowledgement that repeating history is not possible.

Ryan Lochte will win one of the IM's in London, I'm just not sure if it's going to be on the first day of the meet or the last. He's an incredible competitor and seems very calm standing in Phelps shadow, lighting the darkness with a certain twinkle in his eye.

Milorad Cavic takes the 100 Fly.
:chug:

Hmmmmmm.....:bolt:

orca1946
July 31st, 2012, 01:32 AM
Phelps should have dropped the 400 I M:cane:
Lochte looks tired after he was beaten in the 4 x 100 relay:badday:
I think Phelps looks like he is ready to triple in the 200 fly.:applaud:

FR.LLC
July 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Rowdy can be such a ninny.

I'm starting to warm-up to Rowdy's commentary. He has been improving every time.

quicksilver
July 31st, 2012, 09:54 AM
I'm starting to warm-up to Rowdy's commentary. He has been improving every time.

Last night they played a short audio of the French swim reporters while they were covering the Mens 4 x 100 relay. They sounded like a roomful of teenage girls shouting love declarations for Justin Bieber. Rowdy jokingly said that he was nowhere as goofy and emotional as they were! So he's probably much more aware of how he comes across.

I have yet to hear anything too silly from him but there's still time.

Chris Stevenson
July 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have yet to hear anything too silly from him but there's still time.

Rowdy is over-criticized for his announcing IMO, it is one of those jobs that is easy to criticize and probably very hard to do well. And I like that he gets excited about the races, it can be infectious.

BUT I am tired with how much attention he pays to what side people breathe on and swimmer A being on swimmer B's "blind" side. One would think it is the major factor in a swim race when it is very minor (and all these swimmer can breathe on either side if they want).

Related to this, I smiled at one of the underwater shots of the women's 400 IM when Beisel broke a streamline to look at the rest of the field during the breaststroke pullout. It was better done and I don't think really cost her anything, but it reminded me of age-group swimming.

Rob Copeland
July 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Rowdy is over-criticized for his announcing IMO, it is one of those jobs that is easy to criticize and probably very hard to do well. And I like that he gets excited about the races, it can be infectious.Okay, Rowdy is no Angel Fernandez, but he does bring a lot of excitement and personal joy to his announcing. And of all the swimming commentators Iíve heard over the years, Rowdy is one of the best.

Lui
July 31st, 2012, 02:57 PM
ARGH!!!! He should have won!!!

no200fly
July 31st, 2012, 03:00 PM

Yep

art_z
July 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM

I'm sure Cavic enjoyed that finish

JMiller
July 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Lochte's Father?!
Zeus.

Frank Thompson
July 31st, 2012, 04:58 PM

What would have been the odds of Michael Phelps not winning any individual event gold medals at the beginning of the 2012 Olympics. If someone predicted that, they would be sent to the mental institution.

Now those odds have increased dramatically. With Lochte in the 200 IM and Cavic in the 100 Fly, this could play out this way. I mean he accomplished something that no one has in probably winning 21 medals at the Olympic Games and of course the 2008 8 golds with 5 individual event golds. We might never see that in our lifetime.

But I don't think anyone would have imagined this. I heard his turns were not good and I wonder if he got water in his goggles like in 2008? I will watch tonight and see. In 2008, he swam without seeing the walls and still won.

orca1946
July 31st, 2012, 10:25 PM
I can't believe he BLEW the finish !!!!!!!
How did he not know where he was to finish long like that ????
Reverse of 4 yrs ago. BIG OOOPPPSSS !!!

orca1946
August 1st, 2012, 12:17 AM
And he comes back to anchor the 4 x 200 free relay that gives him a big lead over the french & they win 1st place. How's that for an evening ??? !!:applaud:

jaadams1
August 1st, 2012, 12:37 AM
And he comes back to anchor the 4 x 200 free relay that gives him a big lead over the french & they win 1st place. How's that for an evening ??? !!:applaud:

Not sure yet...hasn't been swum yet...either of them. :D

oldwahoo
August 1st, 2012, 01:00 AM
Bet he does not retire, but comes back and swims just the 100 fly, 100 free, and 200 free; (perhaps just on relays - I have to believe he could still be top 6 for the US in the 100 and 200 free with a much lighter training load.

In 2016 we'll wonder what would have happened if he hadn't retired. :shakeshead:

dolu
August 1st, 2012, 09:44 AM

:)

gdanner
August 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Bet he does not retire, but comes back and swims just the 100 fly, 100 free, and 200 free; (perhaps just on relays - I have to believe he could still be top 6 for the US in the 100 and 200 free with a much lighter training load.

I think the original plan was to retire "on top" and win some individual golds. I don't think he wanted to appear as a shell of his former self. Although I agree that he *could* do what you mention with a lighter workload, he's made it sound like he wants ZERO workload.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
Related to this, I smiled at one of the underwater shots of the women's 400 IM when Beisel broke a streamline to look at the rest of the field during the breaststroke pullout. It was better done and I don't think really cost her anything, but it reminded me of age-group swimming.

I had a bad habit of looking around at the END of races. That was cured when I did that, at age 11, at the end of a league championship race, and went from 2nd to 4th, and out of the medals!

I hope he smokes Cavic and leaves no doubt!

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cavic has had rest and Phelps has now seen a few losses so he can be beat. Cavic will not only beat Phelps but do so wearing pink siwm trunks lol Cavic has something to prove and is ready for this race no doubt and Phelps will go out getting beat in BOTH his signature events.

Phelps got Cavic'd and it's a b1tch how karma comes back to bite you on the @ss. Enjoy your losses Phelps because if it was not for your team buddies you'd hardly have any medals at all. Maybe when this is all over he can sit back with his non fly medals, smoke a bong and reflect. :applaud:

Also, when did this olympics suddenly become about Phelps' mom? I am so sick and tired of seeing her face at every meet It's pathetic. The typical swim mom.

poolraat
August 1st, 2012, 11:35 AM
Also, when did this olympics suddenly become about Phelps' mom? I am so sick and tired of seeing her face at every meet It's pathetic. The typical swim mom.

I think they should just show his sisters. They're a lot easier on the eyes! :bolt:

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
I think they should just show his sisters. They're a lot easier on the eyes! :bolt:

I don't know if it's her over-usage of the hairspray, the black hair color or the 150 pounds of jewelry she has to wear at these meets. It's too bad the last thing she's ever going to see is her son lose his very last fly event.

Allen Stark
August 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM
It's too bad the last thing she's ever going to see is her son lose his very last fly event.
I don't see Phelps losing to Cavic.He smoked him at 2009 Worlds when Cavic was in better shape and in a faster suit.I'm not saying Phelps will win,just I don't see Cavic beating him.The great thing is we will know in a couple of days.

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
That was in 2009 and it's clear that Phelps has not trained with the same intensity as he did the last olympics. Cavics best and Phelps best are not that much apart so anything can happen and considering Cavic has been spending all this time resting while Phelps has been swimming 400's, 200's and relays he's got to be a bit worn down.

I think it's so hilarious that Phelps got beat the same way Cavic got beat you could not ask for a more fitting ending if you are Milorad Cavic.

Man, the gods DO have a sense of humor. lol

Phelps has stated that he lets his swimming do the talking..well, I think he needs a megaphone because nobody is hearing him right now. If he does not gold in the 200 IM and 100 fly you'd have to call this olympics a complete and utter failure on his part and even if he golds in those two events he still lost two of his biggest trademark events the 400 IM and 200 fly.

Cavic has the opportunity to make this guy leave a beaten man if he's not already beaten. I hope Cavic is eating his wheaties.:banana:

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2012, 12:30 PM
That was in 2009 and it's clear that Phelps has not trained with the same intensity as he did the last olympics. Cavics best and Phelps best are not that much apart so anything can happen and considering Cavic has been spending all this time resting while Phelps has been swimming 400's, 200's and relays he's got to be a bit worn down.

I think it's so hilarious that Phelps got beat the same way Cavic got beat you could not ask for a more fitting ending if you are Milorad Cavic.

Man, the gods DO have a sense of humor. lol

Phelps has stated that he lets his swimming do the talking..well, I think he needs a megaphone because nobody is hearing him right now. If he does not gold in the 200 IM and 100 fly you'd have to call this olympics a complete and utter failure on his part and even if he golds in those two events he still lost two of his biggest trademark events the 400 IM and 200 fly.

Cavic has the opportunity to make this guy leave a beaten man if he's not already beaten to a point. I hope Cavic is eating his wheaties.:banana:

Damn, somebody has an ax to grind! Wait a minute....is this Cavic?

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Wait a minute....is this Cavic?No. Čavić is way too classy for such vitriol. You gotta remember that Čavić was born and raised a laid back Californian.

And besides, he should be busy preparing to swim and not poking and tweeting.

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
No. Čavić is way too classy for such vitriol. You gotta remember that Čavić was born and raised a laid back Californian.

And besides, he should be busy preparing to swim and not poking and tweeting.

And Phelps should have been busy training.:bed:

SwimStud
August 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Damn, somebody has an ax to grind! Wait a minute....is this Cavic?

LMAO...

The Cavic vs Phelps rivalry has nothing on the classic Geek vs Stud forum duels of the mid oughts...

I don't particularly like Phelps either...but he has appeared to grow as a person since 08 and shown some humility...

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2012, 02:57 PM
And Phelps should have been busy training.:bed:true dat!:chug:

Chris Stevenson
August 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Don't feed the :troll_with_sign:

Celestial
August 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM

I think he should have learned not to glide into the finish a long time ago.

JMiller
August 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
I'd bet my house that Phelps will win Gold in the 200 IM....

Lui
August 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
WOOOHOO!!! GOLD!!

JMiller
August 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
I'd bet my house that Phelps will win Gold in the 200 IM....

Now I'm going to double or nothing that bet, Phelps wins the 100 fly final, 2012 Olympic Gold...!!

SwimStud
August 2nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Now I'm going to double or nothing on Phelps in the 100 fly final, 2012 Olympic Gold...!!
I'll bet your house on that too!

orca1946
August 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Well he did it in the 200 I M- now on to the fly ----NO LAZY FINISH PHELPS !!

TRYM_Swimmer
August 3rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
Andrew45????? Crickets.......................

no200fly
August 3rd, 2012, 12:47 AM

Cavic has the opportunity to make this guy leave a beaten man if he's not already beaten. I hope Cavic is eating his wheaties.:banana:

200 IM :D.

JMiller
August 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Deep sigh of relief...:2cents:

no200fly
August 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
phelps has stated that he lets his swimming do the talking..well, i think he needs a megaphone because nobody is hearing him right now. If he does not gold in the 200 im and 100 fly you'd have to call this olympics a complete and utter failure on his part and even if he golds in those two events he still lost two of his biggest trademark events the 400 im and 200 fly.

Cavic has the opportunity to make this guy leave a beaten man if he's not already beaten. I hope cavic is eating his wheaties.:banana:

200 IM :D
100 Fly :D :D

I'm glad that he does not have to leave a beaten man.

JMiller
August 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
I think the original plan was to retire "on top" and win some individual golds. I don't think he wanted to appear as a shell of his former self.

It would be really great to see Phelps do one more Olympics. He could certainly win more medals on the 2016 relays, and a program of only 100 fly, 200 free & 100 free would be a relatively "easy" training load. Why not add six more medals to his overall total?

I know Phelps has said he's "retiring" but after a couple years of being "normal" maybe he'll feel differently, who knows.... The thing is, his total medal count could conceivably be broken by another swimmer, but if Phelps captures 4-6 more medals in 2016 that medal count record could stand for 100 years... Or maybe even longer.

tjrpatt
August 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
It would be really great to see Phelps do one more Olympics. He could certainly win more medals on the 2016 relays, and a program of only 100 fly, 200 free & 100 free would be a relatively "easy" training load. Why not add six more medals to his overall total?

I know Phelps has said he's "retiring" but after a couple years of being "normal" maybe he'll feel differently, who knows.... The thing is, his total medal count could conceivably be broken by another swimmer, but if Phelps captures 4-6 more medals in 2016 that medal count record could stand for 100 years... Or maybe even longer.

I can't see anyone breaking that medal tally for a generation or two. He trained just enough to win the events he did. The guy is tired of the water. NBC will have to probably pay him alot of money to swim in Rio. He is a Olympic ratings machine.

havepoolwillswim
August 3rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
I can't see anyone breaking that medal tally for a generation or two. He trained just enough to win the events he did. The guy is tired of the water. NBC will have to probably pay him alot of money to swim in Rio. He is a Olympic ratings machine.

I can see this happening. They'll make him and Lochte and deal they can't refuse. Serious ca$h.

orca1946
August 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Phelps can take off 2 years & come back to do Rio with a "limited "# of swims!

tjrpatt
August 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I can see this happening. They'll make him and Lochte and deal they can't refuse. Serious ca$h.

That would be interesting if NBC did that. An Olympican gets "Friends-Jerry Seinfeld-Tim Allen" type money to compete. Mama Phelps and entourage gets some money to appear in the stands. Gosh, is that family growing and growing or what. I wonder if Debbie Phelps will get a talk show now.

gobears
August 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
That would be interesting if NBC did that. An Olympican gets "Friends-Jerry Seinfeld-Tim Allen" type money to compete. Mama Phelps and entourage gets some money to appear in the stands. Gosh, is that family growing and growing or what. I wonder if Debbie Phelps will get a talk show now.

I wouldn't doubt it! What's with all the showing of athletes' parents in the stands this year? Kinda' creeps me out. Like it's going to encourage the crazies who just want their 15 minutes of fame and are willing to ride on their kids' backs instead of doing something remarkable themselves. Too cynical?

quicksilver
August 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM
The brief glimpses to the families do have this Bravo reality TV effect. I wonder if they do hair and make-up now before each final? Panning around the stadium to get the reactions of LeBron James and Prince William only adds more sensationalism to the finish (insert sarcasm). Maybe the camera crews are just plain tired of zooming in on Mama Phelps while she bellows "Go Michael" for the millionth time.

What I did enjoy however was the seeing Missy Franklin's childhood coach after she touched the wall with a new 200 back world record. The emotion on his face spoke volumes about the journey they've been on over the past ten years. That was a good sports moment.

gobears
August 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
What I did enjoy however was the seeing Missy Franklin's childhood coach after she touched the wall with a new 200 back world record. The emotion on his face spoke volumes about the journey they've been on over the past ten years. That was a good sports moment.

Agreed.

knelson
August 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Definitely too many shots of the parents in the stands. In gymnastics it seemed almost de rigueur before and after every routine and the only parent who didn't seem a little crazy was Gabby Douglas' mom!

Agree on the shot of Franklin's coach. That was a great moment.

orca1946
August 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM
400 med relay team Gold win caps off his career in fine style. His post race interview with Costas did serve him well to close out the "winingest"swimmer & Olympian to date. 1/2 the way thru the Games he found his way back to wining & smiling. It has really been fun watching him the last series of Olympics!

That Guy
August 5th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Phelps' retirement http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8234378/2012-olympics-believe-michael-phelps-done

quicksilver
August 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Phelps can take off 2 years & come back to do Rio with a "limited "# of swims!

Agreed. Returning for a forth Olympics would be quite remarkable. Not to win, but just to take home a medal of some kind.

In theory he could do a very similar thing as per Brendan Hansen and qualify for the 100 fly. Maybe even swim the fly leg on the 400 IM relay.

Lui
August 5th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I always wonder if he'll try to stay in shape somehow or if he'll put on some weight if he stops all of a sudden, being used to eating large amounts.

Maui Mike
August 6th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Do age groupers do the Phelps phlap just prior to the start of their races?
I probably would.

Rob Copeland
August 6th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Agreed. Returning for a forth Olympics would be quite remarkable. Not to win, but just to take home a medal of some kind.This was hs fourth Olympics.

quicksilver
August 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
This was hs fourth Olympics.

Ok fifth then. :)

At the end of the day maybe he could just join the water polo team.