PDA

View Full Version : After 40 hrs, still 26 miles short: Cuba to Keys

Paul 1953
July 1st, 2012, 03:26 PM
Bummer. But even the pros respect those tidal currents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/01/penny-palfrey-swim-cuba-florida-keys_n_1640970.html

cheakamus
July 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Not sure why Huffington Post files this under "Weird News" though. (Along with "Fattest Athlete Is Ready To Lose It" and "Taxidermist Puts Stuffed Animals in Strange Outfits.")

ViveBene
July 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
It would be nice if some article described her first as a marathon swimmer or athlete, and saved the grandmotherliness for later in the article.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 1st, 2012, 11:28 PM
It would be nice if some article described her first as a marathon swimmer or athlete, and saved the grandmotherliness for later in the article.

Or when discussing men's accomplishments, refer to them as fathers or grandfathers first, then as athletes.

Setting that aside for now, though I have immense respect for what she attempted and what she accomplished enroute! She definitely stretched boundaries. And each time a person does that--and knows the obstacles better--s/he will find ways to deal with those obstacles. It might take a while but it took a while between Mallory and Irvine's (?) Everest climb and the one made by Hillary. And it took a lot of attempts before Bannister finally broke four minutes in the mile--he had predecessors who tried... and no doubt he learned from their attempts. So will Palfrey or whoever else makes it across. It's not a swim I could even daydream about doing, and I have pretty wild daydreams!

Kudos to her!

orca1946
July 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
I have not heard how she finished as of Sun. night at 11 pm.

Lui
July 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM

That annoyed me too. It sounds like a "granny" is trying to cross the bay instead of an athlete who just happens to have a grandchild.

norascats
July 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
That's an incredible feat. Someone will do it soon.
Penny, you have joined the list of my swim idols.

ViveBene
July 2nd, 2012, 08:24 AM
Here's an interesting thread on Penny Palfrey's swim from evmo's Marathon Swimmers site:
http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/116/penny-palfrey-cuba-to-florida

Scroll down to bottom to find the post (with map) on Gulf Stream dividing into two currents, one being the Yucatan current that may have worked against completion of the swim.

80 miles completed (out of ca. 107) before encountering a current pushing wayward from course too strongly to proceed against.

(Other posts on the thread have the FB page and Twitter, for those who want to go back and review the swim as it unfolded.)

orca1946
July 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Would it have been better to start from Fla. due to these strong currents?
She would be fresher then rather than later in the swim.