PDA

View Full Version : help please

mrdcdc
July 3rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
hi

i swim 30 minutes free, interval no rests.
then 30 second rest
then another 30 minutes, interval, no rests.

i notice all the masters swimmers and swim teams take WAY more rests.

is there anything wrong with the way i workout?

i'm swimming to build a nice body, not speed or endurance or anything like that, please help, your comments are appreciated.

thank you
dave:)

Allen Stark
July 4th, 2012, 09:31 PM
hi

then 30 second rest

i'm swimming to build a nice body, not speed or endurance or anything like that, please help, your comments are appreciated.

thank you
The rest portion allows you to do the swimming portion with more intensity.This is better for swimming faster,but it is also going to be better for muscle tone, so it may be better for giving you the results you want.

mrdcdc
July 4th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is the endurance type work I do good for getting lean?
Should I just do 30 minutes of straight swimming, then do
Sprints for muscle tone for another 30 minutes?

mrdcdc
July 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Would doing fly help with muscle tone more than free?
Thanks again

mrdcdc
July 4th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Is it better to do 30 minutes of
Endurance to keep lean and then
30 minutes of sprints to add muscle?
Thank you

orca1946
July 5th, 2012, 12:46 AM
If you want to show muscle then go to the gym to build that. Swimming will help, but not in the way you describe what you want.

mrdcdc
July 5th, 2012, 03:15 AM
thanks for the replies.
i have NO desire to go to the gym.
so it's swim workouts for me.

is there anything wrong with swimming non-stop?
isn't it still a great workout?

i will incorporate some sprints into my routine.

Swimosaur
July 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
then 30 second rest

The training regimen you describe is often called "Long Slow Distance", or LSD for short. According to this article, LSD training results in,

... improved cardiovascular function, improved thermoregulatory function, improved mitochondrial energy production, increased oxidative capacity of skeletal muscle, and increased utilization of fat for fuel ...

If you are interested in burning fat, and that's all you're interested in, the workouts you're doing are probably fine, just as they are.

You noticed that "all the masters swimmers and swim teams take WAY more rests." That's because they are interested in building speed as well as burning fat. Taking more frequent rests allows you to swim at a higher intensities for shorter periods of time, which is better than LSD for building speed.

EJB190
July 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
hi

then 30 second rest

thank you

If you're looking to swim for muscle tone, then I think you're better off doing short sets with higher intensity. I don't think long, slower, swimming is a bad thing, but it will be harder to get what you're looking for.

If you're new to swimming, long, slow swimming is probably a good way to gain stamina and comfort in the water. So it's probably an important part of your regimen. Maybe start decreasing the amount of LSD swimming and start adding in short, more intense sets, and work in that direction.

Also, are you doing flip turns or open turns?

mrdcdc
July 5th, 2012, 05:15 PM
i do open turns.
i don't care much for flip turns.

i swam 1 hour non stop last night, i increase my pace for a few laps, up to a few minutes.

i truely appreciate the advice.
please feel free to add your comments

mlabresh
July 5th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Varying the intensity and stroke in your work out will help greatly with muscle tone and overall fitness.

The variation will create 'muscle confusion', which ends with a better overall workout as it will work the various muscle groups in different ways. If you do all freestyle all the time, you may run the risk of overuse in certain areas and be more prone to injury (shoulder would be a big one, or knee if you're doing lots of breaststroke).

You could try mixing in some other strokes now and then and maybe do some sets where you build intensity by 3's? (first lap smooth, second lap moderate, third lap fast - repeat)

How long have you been doing this workout? Are you seeing results yet? If you are, you could keep it up until you plateau, then mixing up your workout may help you break through the plateau to the next level of fitness.

mrdcdc
July 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Great reply thank you.
I've been seeing great results.
Lots of fat loss.
I am going to introduce some
Fly and more speed work.
Swimming rocks!!