PDA

View Full Version : Swim Camps

GDM1650
July 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Anyone know of a good swim camp for masters swimmer?

Allen Stark
July 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I don't know anything more about this than the thread Mesa Masters Training Camp - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums ,but Paul is a class act.

tjrpatt
July 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Walnut Creek Masters in CA has one. Don't remember the date. USMS had one in Greensboro last August.

Water Rat
July 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I went the The Race Club. They have pretty much "on demand" camps. Gary Hall Sr's camp. I really enjoyed it.

qbrain
July 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Walnut Creek Master's camp (http://www.swim4wc.org/TabGeneric.jsp?_tabid_=36939&team=wcm) is usually the first weekend of March. It is Kerry's mini version of the beloved Christmas practices of our youth (aka hell week).

The feedback is high quality. The coach to swimmer ratio during practices seemed to be around 1 to 10. There are two practices a day Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the morning practice being general work and the evening practice broken out into groups (sprint, IM/middle distance, distance IIRC). Then there are stroke clinics, video taping, video analysis, pancake eating contests and Ihopemyarmsdon'tfalloffsoIcandrivebacktothehotelan ddieinpeace between the real work.

Go to this camp is you are a swimming masochist who loves a combination of nearly impossible intervals one workout followed by the lactic burn of 8x100s increasing speed on lots of rest. This camp is on the expensive end with travel, hotel, food and the cost of the camp unless you already are local.

Aquatic Edge with KPN (http://www.aquaticedge.org/clinics.htm) is a good clinic where you just want to focus on your stroke. Also the freestyle class (the most frequently given clinic) is a great class if your shoulders limit your volume. I definitely changed my stroke to a wider entry because of this class and it took pressure off my shoulders. One day, something like 4 hours with a class room, pool, class room, pool, class room format. The focus of this class is the above portion of the stroke, and the video is taken above the water. The intensity level is very low.

KPN does clinics as she jetsets around the world, so it being local (or potentially local) is a cost benefit. You do have to pay attention to her schedule because it is probably once a year that she will be giving a class near you (if at all).

SwimFest (http://www.usms.org/swimfest/) is hosted by USMS directly. This event really is a coach training tool, it is hosted once a year in a location that moves and it is cheap (if it is local to you). It is certainly worth the cost, but the feedback can be weak. At swimfest my feedback might have been "that looks better" which in reference to my breaststroke really should have been "that was an abomination." That said, SwimFest is worth the cost just for the video session where you learn just as much from reviewing your stroke as seeing others reviewed.

Those are the 3 I have done personally.

Brian Stack
July 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Walnut Creek Master's camp (http://www.swim4wc.org/TabGeneric.jsp?_tabid_=36939&team=wcm) is usually the first weekend of March. It is Kerry's mini version of the beloved Christmas practices of our youth (aka hell week).

The feedback is high quality. The coach to swimmer ratio during practices seemed to be around 1 to 10. There are two practices a day Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the morning practice being general work and the evening practice broken out into groups (sprint, IM/middle distance, distance IIRC). Then there are stroke clinics, video taping, video analysis, pancake eating contests and Ihopemyarmsdon'tfalloffsoIcandrivebacktothehotelan ddieinpeace between the real work.

Go to this camp is you are a swimming masochist who loves a combination of nearly impossible intervals one workout followed by the lactic burn of 8x100s increasing speed on lots of rest. This camp is on the expensive end with travel, hotel, food and the cost of the camp unless you already are local.

Thanks for the nice words about the WCM ITC. I've been fortunate to be included in the camp staff for the last 17 years. I'd just like to add a bit of detail and info about the camp.
Friday evening is registration and two stroke schools, Freestyle and back stroke. We start in the classroom with some videos and discussion about one of the strokes for about 45 min and then we rotate into another room to get the other stroke.
Pool session follows where we do some very low intensity stroke education again one stroke at a time for about 30 min each.
9:00 PM everyone heads out to return at 7:00 or so in the AM on Saturday.
That brings a conditioning practice with some stroke focus work and an emphasis on pace awareness. Underwater video happens all day on Saturday, all 4 strokes, and turns are shot on DVD for analysis. Breakfast goes next and we usually eat together at the pool with a bagel, cottage cheese and peanut butter buffet.
Saturday afternoon is dry land sessions, a Roque Santos Breaststroke School (!!!) and three race specific practices as Michael described.
We wrap up at around 5PM and there is an optional camp dinner at a local restaurant post camp.
Sunday we start with two Butterfly schools one aimed at the experienced Flyer the other is an intro to the basics of Butterfly.
Both start in the classroom with video and a chalk talk.Then it's out to the pool for the Conditioning practice. Post practice we do breakfast, this time with the fabulous Walnut Creek Pancake People cranking out the flapjacks.
After breakfast we break up into small groups and analyze each swimmers video, everyone gets at least 10 minutes most get more.
More dry land opportunities on Sunday afternoon, and then it's back to the pool to get in one more specific practice, then folks start heading out.
I don't know when Michael attended the camp but I do know that we try to take what we learn about the camp and turn that into a better camp next year. We really do value the campers feedback, and we use it to plan next years camp. In order to insure that swimmers fill out the evaluation form we hold the camp T-Shirts hostage until we get the form back!
Most of our swimmers come from the local area, but we always have a few folks who come in from around the country. The camp is limited to 60 swimmers so it does fill up fast. The camp is also open to all levels of swimmer, the format stays the same but we adjust intervals and expectations to give everyone the chance to benefit.
Hope this doesn't come off as a commercial, it's just that coaching this camp is as much fun as swimming it!

Water Rat
July 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Brian, when do you expect to open registration for 2013?

qbrain
July 11th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Brian, when do you expect to open registration for 2013?

Mid January not that I refreshed their site every day for 6 months last year to figure out they didn't open it until this year.

You will love it. You will be at the fast end of the swimmers there (possibly the fastest), but you will still get a beat down.

I wonder how long I will be employed if I take a long weekend every weekend in March (I have 2 trips planned already and would love to do WCM camp again).

qbrain
July 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
In order to insure that swimmers fill out the evaluation form we hold the camp T-Shirts hostage until we get the form back!

You have my t-shirt? :badday:

I was there this March and you had the honor of not ever having to put up with me for even a single session. I am sorry I didn't get to me you.

My detailed review of WCM's camp (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=21067) It is slightly longer than War and Peace.

The 2012 WCM schedule (https://docs.google.com/open?id=17-4nMUEe3VG8lXPibCynbmZTXnSmkVMzJ706i9lRrKXnVv8e6_zr PGjGJ6jO) What Brian said with fancy formatting.

Brian Stack
July 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
You have my t-shirt? :badday:

I was there this March and you had the honor of not ever having to put up with me for even a single session. I am sorry I didn't get to me you.

My detailed review of WCM's camp (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=21067) It is slightly longer than War and Peace.

The 2012 WCM schedule (https://docs.google.com/open?id=17-4nMUEe3VG8lXPibCynbmZTXnSmkVMzJ706i9lRrKXnVv8e6_zr PGjGJ6jO) What Brian said with fancy formatting.

This year we gave out gear bags, Purple and white with WCM ITC printed on them. Who knows what Kerry will come up with for this year.
Sorry I missed you too, I guess you'll have to make a return trip :-).
Really enjoyed the Camp article, I'll make sure Kerry and Mike read it. I laughed, they will too.