PDA

View Full Version : Racing events? Middle Distance? Advice please

Nickel
July 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I am about to enter my first race but I am not sure what events to do. I ran track years ago and did better at the middle distance events (800 and 1600). What events would be better for me as a swimmer? I am still relatively new to swimming and don't even know what times I should be aiming to swim. Any advice?

ande
July 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I am about to enter my first race but I am not sure what events to do. I ran track years ago and did better at the middle distance events (800 and 1600). What events would be better for me as a swimmer? I am still relatively new to swimming and don't even know what times I should be aiming to swim. Any advice?

swim everything
50's, 100's, 200's, 400's 800's & 1500's
find out what your times are
figure out what you like
see how your times relate to each other
decide on your goals

running fitness does not always translate to swimming fitness

poolraat
July 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
swim everything
50's, 100's, 200's, 400's 800's & 1500's
find out what your times are
figure out what you like
see how your times relate to each other
decide on your goals

running fitness does not always translate to swimming fitness

What he said!

Like you I was also a runner and specialized in the middle distance. Then after college spent several years doing road races and the occasional all comers track meet when I could find one. Quit running when I was in my mid 30's and took up swimming when I was in my late 40's. I've swam everything from 50's to 10k but am primarily a free, back and fly sprinter.

Nickel
July 11th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the advice. I guess it couldn't hurt to get a feel for different races and then decide what I like. I hope this won't be my only race so I should be thinking long term.

knelson
July 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM
But to answer your question about middle distance, the 200 and 400 (or 500 in short course yards) are considered middle distance in swimming.

Kevin in MD
July 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Unlike when you ran track in high school or college where you had 4 years and a few opportunities to race each yer, as a masters swimmer you quite literally have a lifetime of competition to look forward to. Do everything.

As an example, here in Maryland there is a free meet every month from September to March and then there is the regionals in April. Plus other meets with low fees.

In my opinion it would be silly and boring to only do the same two or three events at every meet.

I and many others find a lot of fun and satisfaction from swimming the events we don't do well at. It is a different challenge, it is the challenge of working on techniques you never perfected when young, or the ones you find the most demanding now. I had a guy who swam all through college and had never done breaststroke in any meet ever, he never got the kick down.

Last year we got him signed up for the 100 breast, told the referee to wath his kick carefully please. And he did it, there were lots of smiles when he finished. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't very fast but he did it, legal, and a big challenge was conquered at the age of 36 after a lifetime of swimming.

For adult onset swimmers, just about every event is a new challenge whether a new distance or a new stroke.

Enjoy it all.

Kevin in MD
July 11th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Unlike when you ran track in high school or college where you had 4 years and a few opportunities to race each yer, as a masters swimmer you quite literally have a lifetime of competition to look forward to. Do everything.

As an example, here in Maryland there is a free meet every month from September to March and then there is the regionals in April. Plus other meets with low fees.

In my opinion it would be silly and boring to only do the same two or three events at every meet.

I and many others find a lot of fun and satisfaction from swimming the events we don't do well at. It is a different challenge, it is the challenge of working on techniques you never perfected when young, or the ones you find the most demanding now. I had a guy who swam all through college and had never done breaststroke in any meet ever, he never got the kick down.

Last year we got him signed up for the 100 breast, told the referee to wath his kick carefully please. And he did it, there were lots of smiles when he finished. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't very fast but he did it, legal, and a big challenge was conquered at the age of 36 after a lifetime of swimming.

For adult onset swimmers, just about every event is a new challenge whether a new distance or a new stroke.

Enjoy it all.

orca1946
July 12th, 2012, 12:55 AM
You never know what your body likes in the water. Try a mix to see where you like to be in the time/distance of hard effort.