PDA

View Full Version : Backstroke help

taruky
July 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
My backstroke is well behind my other strokes at this point and I'm really struggling to figure it out despite input from coaches and watching videos. So I'm thinking I might be better off breaking it down into details and I need some input. My first question is this. Should I start rotating from the millisecond I begin my pull or stay on my side longer before rotating. The second question is where should I be in my rotation by the time I finish that last push with the hand? Should I be flat at that point and then just finish my rotation to get the recovery arm into the water. Should my recovery arm be straight up at that same point (flat on the water). Thanks.

__steve__
July 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I thought I had my backstroke down until I read your post. Now I'm doubting if I'm rotating correctly.

Nevertheless, have you compared footage of your own style to a pro and noticed this inconsistancy?

taruky
July 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I thought I had my backstroke down until I read your post. Now I'm doubting if I'm rotating correctly.

Nevertheless, have you compared footage of your own style to a pro and noticed this inconsistancy?

Honestly I haven't seen backstroke footage of myself but probably should. I watch pros and for some reason I can't seem to pin down exactly what they ate doing in that regard. It seremos like they stay on their sides a bit before rotating. Here is an example of Lochte.

Ryan Lochte - Backstroke Technique - YouTube

The thing I'm confused about is that I've also been told that the rotation shoukd help the pull, but I have a hard time seeing where the rotation helps Lochte's pull much. Seems like a good portion of his pull is done by the time he rotates. I tried that yesterday and it felt pretty good, I knocked off a couple strokes per length. A couple weeks ago I tried that same concept with my freestyle too with some improvement. But before I let this get too muscle memorized I want to make sure I'm seeing it correctly in these pros. It's funny how different I see the freestyle strokes o pros now that I've improved compared to 3 years ago.

quicksilver
July 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Seems like a good portion of his pull is done by the time he rotates.The rotation starts at the entry so yes the pull should be done by the time he rotates again for the next entry.

One of the main reasons why you rotate the shoulders is to get a deeper catch and pull on the underwater arm. Rotation is also equally important so that you keep the shoulder slightly out of the water on your recovery arm.

The best way to learn this correctly is to do lots of one arm drills with the one arm at your side. Backstrokers do not swim flat and if you see anyone who does...it's a good bet that their efficiency is being compromised.

taruky
August 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM
So I took some video of my IM killer (backstroke), would appreciate any advice, suggested drills, etc. people can give.
Backstroke - YouTube

__steve__
August 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hey Taruky, I'm new at back too. What I do find very helpful as a drill is bk with arms moving at same time, a short axis backstroke if you will. It prevents overreaching and keeps feet kicking in line.

But let's see what the experts say first though;).

Woofus B. Loofus
August 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Tarucky, try this for starters:

When your arm has re-entered, ask your shoulder to relax and drop lower in the water before you pull. This will engage all of your arm, as well as your shoulder and even parts of the chest and side, to participate in the propulsion.

Imagine sinking your canoe paddle in deeper, to use all the blade surface, before you pull.

Notice in the Lochte video how low his shoulder (and consequently his arm) is when he pulls. Contrast it to how high in the water your pull is in your video. The two motions are not all that different, other than their depth. By relaxing and lowering your shoulder as the first component of your pull, you'll get both a fuller propulsion, and more of a side-ride. The proper rotation should then largely take care of itself.

taruky
August 31st, 2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. I've been out of the pool with a nasty septic bursitis of my elbow, haven't had a chance to try out the suggestions.