PDA

View Full Version : wet suit trouble

bsweigert
July 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I am a realtively new swimmer. I do open water swims of 1-2 miles. My new wetsuit which fits me way better than my first one in that it is tighter, is giving me trouble. It seems to shift off my right arm and down. It then is wrinked at my elbow and tight on my shoulder. This is making my right arm really tired throughout my swim. I really try to pull it up into my armpit when I put it on but it wont stay. I find it is easier to swim without it because my shoulders are so much more free and loose. I am thinking of a sleeveless...is it normal to feel like the sleeves restrict your shoulder motion and make your arms heavy? Is it worth the time you save on the swim to be more tired?

EJB190
July 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
What brand / type of wetsuit is it? For open water swimming you're going to want a wetsuit made for swimming- one that stays in place and allows maximum arm articulation. If this is just a regular wetsuit for surfing, diving, or recreation, it's not going to be optimal.

Sleeveless suits do offer better arm articulation but obviously you loose the warmth for your arms. If the temperature is warm enough that you can handle not having sleeves, sleeveless is the way to go.

I dabble in open water swimming and own a relatively inexpensive Orca suit. I'm not competing so I don't need a bunch of fancy technology. I have full arms on mine and dont have any significant flexibility issues.

There are people on the site here that are far more knowledgable than I about wesuits and they can probably make some reccomendations.

quicksilver
July 19th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Not saying that you won't get responses here, but the open water section of the forum is where you might see some more feedback. I would try there as well.

orca1946
July 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM
Except in VERY cold water ,I prefer sleeveless for more arm freedom.
Maybe you need a diff brand. Go try them on before buying it.

Midas
July 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Better yet, swim without a wetsuit! Otherwise I agree to go sleeveless. You won't lose that much heat on your arms but will maintain the buoyancy and core warmth of the wetsuit.

EJB190
July 22nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Better yet, swim without a wetsuit! Otherwise I agree to go sleeveless. You won't lose that much heat on your arms but will maintain the buoyancy and core warmth of the wetsuit.

I agree. My motto is the less bathing suit the better (haha).

Like I said before, if you can handle no sleeves, you're better because you don't get the arm rotation constriction. It's true you don't loose a lot of heat from your arms, but your arm pits do radiate a lot of heat. I always find jammers to be restrictive, especially during breast stroke and even freestyle. That's why I stick with my speedo most of the time.

If you're competing, also consider that open arms will let in more water which increases weight and decreases buoyancy. Additionally, full suits are known to have less drag. If you're doing triathlons, having no arms make the suit easier to get in and out of. I've never used an open arm suit, but I'm not sure I would like the feeling of buoyancy everywhere except my arms.

I think it really comes down to finding the model and brand of suit that fits you well. I was lucky with the blueseventy on the first try, but who knows, there could be something way better out there. I'm only on my first swim designed wetsuit. I'm content with it though. It fits like a glove, no chafing, lots of articulation, and it's holding up well. It's hard too since there aren't a lot of places that sell them, the places that do usually only carry 1 or 2 brands, and you can't really try them out.

What brand and model of wetsuit are you currently using? What is the first suit you had?