PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Surprises???

geochuck
July 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Are we in for some Olympic surprises. Are the two top US swimmers going to win or come second in all their races. Are we ready for a big surprise??

I would love to see some one new take the gold.

ElaineK
July 22nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Are we in for some Olympic surprises. Are the two top US swimmers going to win or come second in all their races. Are we ready for a big surprise??

I would love to see some one new take the gold.

I don't know about Phelps and Lochte, but I would be curious to hear what everybody out there thinks the chances are for Cullen Jones to medal in the 50 and 100 free. Any predictions?

Gooooo Cullen! :cheerleader:

knelson
July 22nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
I would be curious to hear what everybody out there thinks the chances are for Cullen Jones to medal in the 50 and 100 free. Any predictions?

Gooooo Cullen! :cheerleader:

He's got a great chance in the 50. Only Cielo has been faster this year. I'd be shocked to see him medal in the 100. Just too many guys faster.

Allen Stark
July 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
He's got a great chance in the 50. Only Cielo has been faster this year. I'd be shocked to see him medal in the 100. Just too many guys faster.

I agree,great shot in the 50.It would be a big surprise for him to medal in the 100,but he has the speed and if he has a perfect race ...

IntlSwmr
July 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM

I would love to see some one new take the gold.Actually I'd be MASSIVELY surprised if ANY Americans even make it onto the London podium at all for a medal of ANY colour in these particular events:

M 400 Free
M 100 Free
M 200 Breast
M 1500 Free

W 200 Fly
W 100 Free
W 50 Free

As for GOLD medals for Team USA, these ones would really surprise me (in addition to the aforementioned above):

M 4x100 Free
M 100 Breast
M 50 Free

W 4x100 Free
W 400 Free
W 200 IM
W 800 Free

Also I don't reckon the 200 Free will be a fait accompli for Lochte - don't underestimate Agnel here, with Biederman, Park & Sun not all that far behind either!

On the women's side, should be an exciting, hard fought contest between Muffat, Schmitt & Pellegrini...with Franklin, Sjostrom & Heemskerk lurking in the wings.

AUS should give Franklin/Vollmer/Schmitt & co. a good run for their money in the 4x200.

Fins25
July 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
I agree that Cullen has a great shot in the 50m but no real chance in the 100m. It looks like Magnussen's race but it wouldn't surprise me if Sullivan actually won the event. He had Magnussen covered in the trials until the last 2m and he had an interrupted prep. He has had no interruptions that I have heard for his Olympic prep.

The more I think about it, I might go and check what his odds are paying

ElaineK
July 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM

Well, the 50 really is his event. I can't wait to see that race!

That Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
it wouldn't surprise me if Sullivan actually won the event. He had Magnussen covered in the trials until the last 2m and he had an interrupted prep. He has had no interruptions that I have heard for his Olympic prep.

The more I think about it, I might go and check what his odds are paying

Yes, check those odds before laying down money on Sullivan. Since he's not even racing the 100. :lmao:

Fins25
July 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, check those odds before laying down money on Sullivan. Since he's not even racing the 100. :lmao:

Thats a good point! I reckon I can get him at 100's but i think it is still unders!:)

selkie
July 23rd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Katie Ledecky is at the age where times can just seem to drop like magic. It would be a huge upset for her to win the 800 over established names, but it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

__steve__
July 23rd, 2012, 06:24 AM
Nathan Adrian should medal in the 100, eh

knelson
July 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Nathan Adrian should medal in the 100, eh

I don't know about SHOULD, but he certainly could.

quicksilver
July 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
According to this web site, Magnussen is the front runner in the 100 meter freestyle followed by Cielo. https://www.bwin.com/swimming

Hiro11
July 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Wild guesses:
1. Missy Franklin is only going to win the 200 back individually.
2. Ervin silvers in the 50 behind Cesar with a 21.5.
3. Breeja Larson wins gold.
4. Sjoestrom beats Vollmer in the 100 fly.
5. Irie beats Lochte in the 200 back. Lochte beats Phelps in the 200 IM.
-and of course-
6. US men win the 4X100 free (just because I want to be difficult).

lefty
July 23rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Actually I'd be MASSIVELY surprised if ANY Americans even make it onto the London podium at all for a medal of ANY colour in these particular events:

M 100 Free

As for GOLD medals for Team USA, these ones would really surprise me (in addition to the aforementioned above):

M 100 Breast

I think Adrian has a better shot at a medal than Hansen, but other than that I agree with you on all accounts. Why on Adrian? His 100 was well off last year, (so) was he 100% tapered at trials?

Bobinator
July 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I can't wait!!!!!! I'm making no predictions but I'm cheering for Team USA all the way! My favorite athletes are Lolo Jones (hurdles, t/f), and Morgan Uceny(1500, t/f). I coached when Uceny was in high school and I remember her at the state meet as clear as a bell!

knelson
July 24th, 2012, 12:57 PM
4. Sjoestrom beats Vollmer in the 100 fly.

This should be an exciting race. Sjöström and Vollmer should be duking it out, but there are a couple others who could be in the mix as well.