PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if the Hains Point pool (in DC) is actually 50m?

habu987
July 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
I swam at the Hains Point long course meet this past weekend and was thoroughly unimpressed with my times. Without fail, they were all 10-20% off what they should have been, with the longer events further off than the shorter events. I've been swimming and competing long enough to be able to predict my times at a given level of effort, so I was quite surprised at the discrepancy at the meet.

I know there is the turn effect that impacts times, from losing half the turns from short course, but this time discrepancy was far too drastic to be explained solely by the turn effect, in my opinion. With how far off my times were from the converted short course times (I was 10 seconds off in the 200 IM, 3 seconds off in the 50 fly, 3 in the 50 back, 5.5 in the 100 back, and ~13 in the 200 back), given that my level of conditioning hasn't changed, the pool length is the only factor I can think of that would account for such a drastic difference.

Anyone know if the pool is actually a regulation 50m, or is it a bit longer?

That Guy
July 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
I swam at the Hains Point long course meet this past weekend and was thoroughly unimpressed with my times. Without fail, they were all 10-20% off what they should have been, with the longer events further off than the shorter events. I've been swimming and competing long enough to be able to predict my times at a given level of effort, so I was quite surprised at the discrepancy at the meet.

I know there is the turn effect that impacts times, from losing half the turns from short course, but this time discrepancy was far too drastic to be explained solely by the turn effect, in my opinion. With how far off my times were from the converted short course times (I was 10 seconds off in the 200 IM, 3 seconds off in the 50 fly, 3 in the 50 back, 5.5 in the 100 back, and ~13 in the 200 back), given that my level of conditioning hasn't changed, the pool length is the only factor I can think of that would account for such a drastic difference.

Let me make sure I've got this right. A time conversion tool said that your long course times should be faster, based on your short course times. So rather than concluding that the time conversion was worthless, you decided that the pool must be too long?

tpost2
July 23rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
I assume the length of the pool was verified since times were submitted, but that pool is weird. I swam a couple events in lanes 2 and 3 and there was a very definite current that knocked me from one side of the lane to the other. Did you (or anyone else) happen to notice that?

That being said, this is the first season I have ever done long course, and my converted times have not been realized. I'm beginning to think that my starts and wall transitions (rather than actual swimming) are my strong suit!:)

Betsy
July 25th, 2012, 05:15 AM
My experience at Hains Point is that water jets in some lanes affect your times. One year I had a great 400 there, but most years I've had mixed results. One year my 50 splits going one way were noticeably faster than the 50s in the other direction. Also, I almost missed a backstroke turn because I didn't go into the wall hard (a very bad habit) and the water jet slowed me just enough that I barely got a legal flip turn.
I missed the meet this year, but still like to swim there.

tjrpatt
July 26th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Don't worry about your times from Hains Point! The pool is not getting your best times. The Jets at that pool don't help. Alot of long course pools are a bit longer. In addition, it doesn't have touchpads so it makes the pool an few tenths of a foot longer. It is a shame that DCPR just can't have this meet at Wilson High School.

jroddin
July 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM

I helped measure this pool in 2003 and it is a regulation 50m pool.

Although any 50m pool is too long, in my book! :D

Jeff Roddin
PV Top Ten Recorder

habu987
July 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Let me make sure I've got this right. A time conversion tool said that your long course times should be faster, based on your short course times. So rather than concluding that the time conversion was worthless, you decided that the pool must be too long?

Nope. I've been swimming both short and long course for about 16 years, but this was my first time swimming at Hains Point (first time swimming LCM in VA, too, as my LCM experience for the past 6 years or so has been in KY). Using my normal short to long course conversion (which has usually been spot on in other LCM pools), I was way off the converted times.

If my conversion factor has served me pretty well for the past 6+ years, and now it's way off even though my swim performances didn't feel any different, it seems a safe bet that there is something fishy with the pool.

Jeff--thanks for that clarification. I totally agree; I'm much more comfortable with short course! There just seems to be something wrong with only having one turn in a 100...

Betsy and tpost: Yeah, I definitely noticed the current. One of my events was the 100 back and I had a heck of a time getting off the lane rope! And I do know my strength in the pool is definitely the start and turns. Took me a good number of long course meets back in the day before I was able to adjust my short to long course conversion factor to satisfactorily account for the lack of turns.

knelson
July 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Alot of long course pools are a bit longer.

Are they then considered extra long course?