PDA

View Full Version : Implementing Stroke Corrections

ScienceGeek
July 23rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hi Guys,
Since I got such wonderful advice on the first question I posted, I thought I might try to get your thoughts on implementing stroke corrections. I've started taking some private lessons and those have been really great in helping me focus on what I need to work on on how to do it correctly. I usually spend extra time after a lesson practicing the corrections, and in all the subsequent workouts I do in the week, I make it a focal point.
Basically, I have two questions for you guys:
1. What do you do to implement stroke corrections such that they become second nature/not something you have to actively think about?
2. In your experience, how long does it take to make a change in technique a habit and not something you have to think about?

Thanks Guys!

fmracing
July 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hi Guys,
Since I got such wonderful advice on the first question I posted, I thought I might try to get your thoughts on implementing stroke corrections. I've started taking some private lessons and those have been really great in helping me focus on what I need to work on on how to do it correctly. I usually spend extra time after a lesson practicing the corrections, and in all the subsequent workouts I do in the week, I make it a focal point.
Basically, I have two questions for you guys:
1. What do you do to implement stroke corrections such that they become second nature/not something you have to actively think about?
2. In your experience, how long does it take to make a change in technique a habit and not something you have to think about?

Thanks Guys!

1) Work on each of them the correct way for 6-8 weeks.
2) 6-8 weeks per technique change... some you can do at the same time, others you're best off concentrating on the worst habit first, then work on others second after the first are automatic, etc. Don't try to change them all at one time. It doesn't work.

__steve__
July 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
also, drills are the staple of form. However, they too must be done strictly.

Old habits take more time to fix, and concentrating on form can be on-going

A quick stroke adjustment tool is recording yourself. Use footage of pros of similar build to yourself as standard

ande
July 24th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hello

I've written about how to change / improve technique in Swim Faster Faster (SFF)

It's hard to change technique. It's hard to break habits. I wrote about it in:

+ Video Tips

+ GRIND IT IN

Technique

What's holding you back?you asked:

"1. What do you do to implement stroke corrections such that they become second nature/not something you have to actively think about?"
You must learn the new motion and do it correctly, you must know how it feels. Then You must think about & do the new correct motion everytime until you've formed the new technique habit. You have to constantly remind yourself. It has to be in your mind and you must actually DO the new correct motion. You must intensely desire it, otherwise you might not have enough motivation to stay focused and keep repeating the new motion.
Do you have a Rage to Master?

Weeks if not months, depends how coachable you are and how motivated you are to forming the new habit. there's no set answer, wish it were that easy.

Hope this helps,

Ande