PDA

View Full Version : phelps-and-coughlin-will-have-to-miss-opening-ceremony

quicksilver
July 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/phelps-and-coughlin-will-have-to-miss-opening-ceremony/

“We never go to opening ceremonies,” Phelps said, “because you are standing for so many hours. Being on your feet for five to six hours takes a lot out of you, and it does take days to recover.”

Between them, Michael Phelps and Natalie Coughlin have appeared in seven Olympics and not a single opening ceremony. Blame the schedule; the first swimming events take place the morning after the long night’s march.

In Beijing in 2008, participating athletes were required to line up hours before the 8 p.m. start, and Phelps and Coughlin, like most swimmers, are conditioned to stay off their feet the day before they race.

That Guy
July 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM
typing-like-this-is-actually-pretty-cool-I-thought-it-would-be-lame-but-it-is-growing-on-me

quicksilver
July 25th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Can't-take-any-credit-for-it. It-was-a-copy-paste-thing.

Anyway, Mark Spitz never had such problems. Kids must be getting soft these days. Thus the invention of the 2 wheeled electric upright thing.

That Guy
July 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Kids must be getting soft these days.

Too much jazz music for kids today! I mean, rock and roll. I mean, video games. I mean, the internets.

aquageek
July 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I can't watch the 15 hour blotation of the opening ceremonies. It is a dreadful spectacle of horribleness. Plus, we all know that the Queen is going to be set alight and shot from a trebuchet to light the flame. Who really needs to see that?

That Guy
July 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I can't watch the 15 hour blotation of the opening ceremonies. It is a dreadful spectacle of horribleness. Plus, we all know that the Queen is going to be set alight and shot from a trebuchet to light the flame. Who really needs to see that?

I find the opening ceremonies unwatchable as well. But if they're going to be launching flaming queens, I might have to reconsider! :banana:

Bobinator
July 25th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I enjoy watching the torch light up, the rest of it is usually too drawn out for me.

Fresnoid
July 26th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I find the opening ceremonies unwatchable as well. But if they're going to be launching flaming queens, I might have to reconsider! :banana:

If flaming queens are entertaining, I would recommend San Francisco or West Hollywood instead of London.

That Guy
July 26th, 2012, 12:35 AM
If flaming queens are entertaining, I would recommend San Francisco or West Hollywood instead of London.
How are the trebuchets there? Well-greased?

Fresnoid
July 26th, 2012, 12:42 AM

Well, um, I've heard from a friend that's where one would go for such a spectacle.

havepoolwillswim
July 26th, 2012, 01:38 AM
They should be carried out while resting comfortably on recliners, fanned by masters swimmers...

rxleakem
July 26th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Organizers are trying to be sure the ceremony does not stretch out for more than 3-3.5 hours:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/7306963/Time-restrictions-bite-into-opening-ceremony

knelson
July 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I can't watch the 15 hour blotation of the opening ceremonies.

But then you'll miss Bob Costas' little facts about every country! My favorite last time was "you might know of Malawi because Madonna adopted a child from there." Yeah, that's right Bob, I only know the countries of the world due to their appearance in pop culture!

Jeff Commings
July 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
But then you'll miss Bob Costas' little facts about every country! My favorite last time was "you might know of Malawi because Madonna adopted a child from there." Yeah, that's right Bob, I only know the countries of the world due to their appearance in pop culture!

But he is right, Kirk. Would you have really known anything about Malawi if Madonna hadn't made news about it?

Personally, I like learning little factoids about each country during the Opening Ceremony, even if they are mundane. It makes it more watchable.

quicksilver
July 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
They should be carried out while resting comfortably on recliners, fanned by masters swimmers...

Lol. It be interesting to know how many other athletes skip out on the ceremony to keep their legs rested.

Bob Costas..." Well Malawi does have one swimmer but he's back at his hotel room trying to not to hinder his taper."

vndad
July 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Well, Phelps and Coughlin are not the only ones. Almost half of Australia's athletes are expected to miss the London Olympic opening ceremony to focus on their preparations (http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/ceremony-snub-half-of-australias-team-to-give-opening-night-a-miss-20120726-22rnx.html). Sun Yang is also reported to skip the opening night.

ElaineK
July 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Am I the only college-educated one out here who had to look up the definition of "trebuchets"? :dunno: :help: :whiteflag:

Rob Copeland
July 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Am I the only college-educated one out here who had to look up the definition of "trebuchets"? :dunno: :help: :whiteflag:It must have been a liberal arts college. Any college worth its salt has Medieval Siege Engines as a required course. How else will you know the difference between a mangonel, onager, ballista and trebuchet?

Footnote: The development of gunpowder and the subsequent inventions of petards and artillery really took the fun out of siege engineering.

I haven’t heard if Lochte will be in the parade of athletes. I would assume not.

Peter Cruise
July 26th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well these Opening Ceremonies feature real live sheep, so that spells can't miss television to me...

ElaineK
July 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM
It must have been a liberal arts college. Any college worth its salt has Medieval Siege Engines as a required course. How else will you know the difference between a mangonel, onager, ballista and trebuchet?

:lmao: Well, my degree was from San Diego State University... :D

Thanks, Rob. :bitching: Now I have to look up what the heck a "mangonel", "onager", and "ballista" is. :bolt:

knelson
July 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM
But he is right, Kirk. Would you have really known anything about Malawi if Madonna hadn't made news about it?

To be honest I didn't know Madonna had adopted a Malawian child until Costas mentioned it! But I will admit Malawi is not a country you hear a whole lot about.

How else will you know the difference between a mangonel, onager, ballista and trebuchet?

I remember actually checking out books from the library on medieval armor and weaponry when I was in probably fifth or sixth grade. Being a nerd is hard-wired, I guess!

orca1946
July 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
This is why I use fast forward .

jroddin
July 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Well these Opening Ceremonies feature real live sheep, so that spells can't miss television to me...

Now now, careful. You might get Wookie a little riled up at the thought...:afraid:

smontanaro
July 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Especially with that trebuchet in the end zone. :D

That Guy
July 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM
It must have been a liberal arts college. Any college worth its salt has Medieval Siege Engines as a required course. How else will you know the difference between a mangonel, onager, ballista and trebuchet?

Footnote: The development of gunpowder and the subsequent inventions of petards and artillery really took the fun out of siege engineering.

What's worse than having a piano land on you? If the piano was ON FIRE!!!

Rich English Guy and his Trebuchet - YouTube