PDA

View Full Version : twitching/cramp like feeling after swimming?

ReallyaRunner
July 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone - Has anyone experienced twitching/cramp like sensations in their calves the day after a hard workout? While I've been swimming for 20 years, it has never been my focus or main athletic event, more of a cross training from running. Recently, I decided to change my focus to swimming and have begun attending masters swimming classes. However, after swimming I am experiencing a lot of calf twitching and on-the-verge of cramping feelings. Yesterday, I swam 4000 yds, which is considerably more than I usually do on my own (1 mile) Aerobically, I was fine, but today my legs are cramping and twitching and I'm wondering if that is a normal over-use type injury? Thanks, Amy

__steve__
July 28th, 2012, 02:38 PM
For me, cramping is endurance related and disappears with conditioning.

The lower legs need to be long and relaxed (like a whip) during the kick. I find it beneficial to include calf raises and loads of calf, ankle and foot stretching.

Keep in mind however, what may benefit your kicking might hurt your running.

quicksilver
July 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM
legs are cramping and twitchingLow electrolyte levels are my guess. Or a slight case of dehydration.

When running or biking for over an hour, the urge to drink is much more apparent. By the same token swimming warm pool water (anything over 80 degrees) can be likened to running in 90 degree weather. Even though you may not feel like you're overheating, the loss of fluids in the water can be just as bad.

Try staying hydrated to see if that may help.